1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, Im new to the forum.

Im a 36 year old Police Officer in South Florida.

Ive been shooting since my father taught me as a child and I cut my teeth on 1911 models. My first handgun was a Detonics that I bought from my father. Because of my chosen proffesion, I ended up drifting away from the single action Colts and their variants. Most departments shy away from the single action guns for carry purpose.

Well, Ive never lost my love for the old 1911 and this Christmas Santa was very generous to me, so was my wife!!

I found a brand new Baer Monolith Heavyweight under the tree Christmas morning. Ive long desired the Baer gun, just never could justify the coin.

As you can imagine, the very next day I was at the range with a couple hundred rounds of ammo.

I guess it would be redundant to sit there and tell you about how wonderfully the gun shot, Im sure in a Les Baer forum, you all know already. It fed whatever I crammed down its throat no matter how fast or from what position I fired it. Ball ammo, hollowpoints, +P, standard loads...whatever.

If its possible to be in love with a handgun......I might have found my soulmate.

One problem though.......who the heck makes a holster for the Monolith series? The full length dust cover prevents the gun from fitting inside a nicely boned leather holster.

I spoke with Mitch Rosen yesterday and he wants my gun for 3 weeks and $300 on top of the price of one of his holsters to make a "one off" piece for me. Im sorry, I cant pay $450 for a belt slide holster.

Any suggestions for a good carry/combat rig for my new piece. im sure Im not the first to run into this issue.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Baer Monolith Holster

Check with Sam Andrews in Alachua, FL. Call him at (386)462-0576... He's a nice guy and has always been very helpful. I've bought half a dozen of his holsters over the last ten years or so..... never had a problem of any type..... never anything but the best quality. He has a web site at Http://www.andrewsleather.com

Cheers,
Don

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice, thank you.

I will definately give them a ring come Monday.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am new to this forum as well and ,ike you just recieved a Monolith Commanche. I had the same question regarding the holster. I called Les Baer and was advised to call Rusty Sherrick. I spoke with Rusty and can build a number of nice holsters for the Monolith Commanche. I did not ask about the full size, but I would imagine he can produce those as well. The phone number is 717-361-7699. Here is a link to the web page:

http://www.c-rusty.com/pages/Holsters.html

Good luck. I am going to order my holster on Monday.

I called Mitch and was told the same thing as you. Too bad I really like his products.

·
Registered
376 Posts
You might give Baer a call and ask them as well. They would likely know. I've wondered about this myself. [edited: I see that JPro45 beat me to the punch].

BTW, I love those Monoliths. I was with a forum member who ran a case thru his to break it in. Very hard to rack at first (as you know) and the shok buff disintegrated, but it was sweet.

cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses.

Sherricks holsters look very nice, I can see come Monday I'll be on the phone a bit.

Heres a pic of my new toy.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Looks a lot like mine:

Great guns, they are very very accurate especially with the 1.5" guarantee!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Monolith HW

The reason I joined this forum was because the purchase of my first 1911, a Monolith HW, w/1.5" guarantee. It left the factory in '00, and has only had 58rnds through it (only eight when I purchased it). What SSN#s are your Monoliths up to? # LB1196#

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Another hot tip. Check out Brownells. They make a Great Aluminum Bushing wrench that is a "Must Have" for Baer owners.
The plastic ones don't work on the tight Barrel Bushings.
Also order a pak of C-P Buffs. The Baer factory buff is frail.
Slip a C-P Buff on the Recoil spring Guide rod next time you clean it, and you should be O.K. for close to 1000 rounds.
Good luck with your Monolith. I have to warn you Baers are addictive. " Nobody can own just one" :D

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Peter, where are the mags from? I am looking for the exact same ones for an aluminum frame Kimber, large base and one-piece follower that won't hurt the frame like the Mccormick split metal follower will.
Al

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
T-tac, I assume you're talking about the silicon bushing that goes on the guide rod for the mainspring?

Ive read that a few people have had the factory one get chewed up.

You mentioned C-P. Im sorry, Im just getting back into the 1911 game.......whos C-P? :(

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Never mind, I found them over at Brownells....ordered 2 packs and the bushing tool.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
The mags are from Baer. They are metalforms according to Mr. Baer himself (I asked him on the phone one day).

Mine is a 10mm hence the oddball mags.

I always wonder about why so many guys have problems with the bushings that they need aluminum wrenches. Of my 3 Baers, none is so tight that I cannot turn it with the original plastic wrench that came with my first PII.

Just curious or I am very lucky......

·
Registered
375 Posts
Peter, you are lucky. I broke two plastic bushing wrenches on my PII when it was first new and before I got a metal wrench. Today I can turn the bushing without a wrench using only a thumb and finger.

I consder myself fortunate to have such a marvelous pistol. It has been a truly problem-free 1911.

Jeffery S, I trust that you will have years of enjoyment and protection with your new Baer. The Monolith is a superbly crafted handgun.

Good luck with your search for a holster.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
where are the mags from? I am looking for the exact same ones for an aluminum frame Kimber, large base and one-piece follower that won't hurt the frame
I read over on the kimber forum a couple of months ago that Kimber has a new follower for alu framed pistols.

·
Registered
104 Posts
C. Rusty Sherrick

Hello Friend!

I too have a Monolith Heavyweight, and am awaiting a new holster from Rusty. His prices are reasonable, though the wait is 12-16 weeks. I've seen his work, and I am sure it will be worth the wait. You may try Rafter S Gunleather. They are excellent craftsmen (and women, no offense, Della!) and are very responsive. Hope this helps.

BD

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
mr white said:
I read over on the kimber forum a couple of months ago that Kimber has a new follower for alu framed pistols.
I have one of the new Kimber ones. I was just seeing if there were others out there also, but thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts