1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the main spring housing on my Kimber with a stainless steel model from Wilson. The new part went in well, but I noticed that the plunger/spring is much rougher when depressing. I put some tetra on the spring and tetra grease on the plunger, but it is still a little rough. Of course I can now feel this roughness when cocking the hammer back. I also noticed that once cocked, the "overtravel" from hammer/sear engagement to maximum hammer travel has more resistance and might be slightly reduced. Should I be concerned about any of this? Do you think that this will smooth out with some use? I am going to the range this afternoon and will give it a try. The new part sure is much nicer!

·
Registered
354 Posts
David:
It is likely that there is roughness in the MSH hole where the main spring is located. Disassemble the MSH and smooth this hole using a dremmel with a craytex tip, or a dowel wrapped with sandpaper. Many smiths will smooth this MSH hole while doing a trigger job to prevent roughness in the trigger as you describe.

·
Registered
713 Posts
David,
After you smooth the MSH hole and polish it, and the main spring cap,then reassemble the internal parts. Mark the part of the spring hole above the mainspring cap and closest to the sear spring with magic marker(blue or black). Also mark the hammer strut on the side toward the sear spring. Reinstall in your pistol and manually cycle the hammer. Then check the hammer strut and MSH hole for any binding on the side of the MSH hole and against the sear spring by the hammer strut. Relieve for clearance if necessary and you should be "good to go"
!
Barry

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hey David-

One other little thing: In addition to polishing the spring tunnel and cap, make sure to stone the cut ends of the spring. Crimping the cut ends of the spring will give the same result as long as you don't squish the spring into too much of an eliptical shape.

This will alleviate any sharp surfaces that may have a tendency to rub the inside of the tunnel.

Little things...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts