1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few weeks ago I was approached by the good folks at Wilson Combat and asked if I would like to try out their new Next Generation ETM 9mm Magazines in exchange for my views on them. I gladly accepted being as I shoot 9mm more than 45 anymore and I enjoy a look and the opportunity to try something new. I think Bill and Ryan were shooting these at the Bash but nothing was mentioned at the time and I wasn't paying attention to magazines that day. I got two of these magazines about two weeks ago and have been able to make 4 trips to the range with them, shooting with 147 grain Fiocchi JHP, 115 grain JHP PPV and the new Wilson Re manufactured 135 grain Berry Bullet Ammo (more on that later). I noticed when I opened these magazines they were different. Tube was similar to my 9mm Etms I have but there is a dimple in the top near the follower and the follower is steel. Very sturdy. The rounds ride much higher in the magazine and feed at a better angle. Round cound engraved on the side is a nice touch. I DID NOT take these apart, I expected them to be serviceable out of the package and there were no surprises there. I loaded the mags and let them set overnight. No cycling, just let them set. Next evening at the range I shot about 100 rounds from each of them with a combination of the above mentioned ammunition. No malfunctions, clean easy feeding, fast reloads. I loaded and reloaded the mags by hand, something I do not like to do at the range but was forced to since I only had 2 of these at the time. They loaded easily by hand. The tenth round needed a gentle nudge, but hey they're new right? I compared these magazines side by side with my tried and true ETMs, I like them! The redesigned top of the tube, the new follower and stronger spring were evident when looking at the magazine loaded as you can see later here in my pictures. I have had the occasional hiccup with the ETMs I have when shooting short nosed or JHPs. Mind you it has been rare, but it has happened. The following are some pics I shot while at the range on trips 1 and 2, sorry for the phone camera, but it was the best I had at the time. I can safely say I will either replace my ETMs with these or but springs and followers if/when they are available. All totaled, I have shot over 350 rounds from THESE two magazines in the last 2 weeks and haven't had a single problem. Hats off to development of yet another great product that will be of value whether you shoot them in a Wilson 1911 or another brand.
The initial setup, NEW ETM mags, Fiocchi 147 JHP and my 9mm CQB

A look from the rear

Side view of the followers, NextGen ETM vs Old ETM

Notice how the bullet rides in the new magazine. This is a short, JHP bullet.

Hard to tell the difference from old to new from this side

The NEW ETMs from both sides

Front shot of the tube and follower unloaded

Close up of followers

ONE from the top

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Thank you for the extensive report Bigdaddymike on the ETM 9mm Magazines.
I received a email this morning from WC explaining the Next Generation ETM 9mm Magazines. Glad you had the Opportunity to test out the ETM 9mm Mags. Looks like another really good Magazine made by Wilson Combat.
Scott

·
Super Moderator
14,595 Posts
Nice report on the magazines' function BDM, and you're doing well on your draw-and-shoot practice. Way to go buddy!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Have you noticed any evidence of new follower rotating/shifting forward on the last round striking/marring the feed ramp?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you noticed any evidence of new follower rotating/shifting forward on the last round striking/marring the feed ramp?
None what so ever. My limited experiences says the first round feeds as smooth as the last. They rounds are snug in the magazine and if attempting to unload a magazine by hand require quite a bit of 'oomph', but I normally do not perform this function so it is not of concern to me. It has a beefed up and redesigned spring, different than the 'old' ETM magazines, NOT flat wire mind you but much stiffer than it's predecessor.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I received a new mag for testing as well. Mike did a very good job on reporting and I don't think I could add much to this thread other than I did my initial break in of my WC Tactical Carry with these new mags. I received my pistol and test mag on the same day. For the record this is my first 9mm 1911 I have ever owned and was sure I would have issues on the break in...I was completely wrong! This mornings session included 7 new mags, ammo was WC 9mm Re-manufactured 115 gr. Hornady HAP, 1130 FPS and a new Tactical carry. I shot 6 full mags from all 7 new ETM's for a total of 420 rounds. I had zero failures of any kind! I am sorry I cant compare to other issues regarding different mags or guns because of my limited use of this platform in 9mm, however, being new to it and experiencing no failures sure seems like WC has got this one right. I am very pleased with the finish, function and results of these mags! I truly enjoyed my session this morning vs shooting that many in 45!

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
454 please refresh my memory. The new pistol is which model?

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
BDM, what about the RM 135 gr berry. Interested In how it preformed and how you liked it or not ? ? D

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BDM, what about the RM 135 gr berry. Interested In how it preformed and how you liked it or not ? ? D
I like it! So much I just bought 1200 rounds more. It is on sale right now for I think $119 per 400. It shoots straight and leaves a nice clean hole in IDPA targets. Feeds well through my new 9mm mags as well as my "old" Etms, no problems with either, although I love the way they sit in the newer mags.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
You think it will feed in the spec ops 9. I want to buy some but have you tried the 135 berry in the spec ops. ? I been shooting the 115 RM Hap.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts