1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to send my Concept VII to Tripp for hard chroming (the bluing looks like hell after 6 months of carry) and want to replace the stock night sights with something more usable for my 57 year old eyes. The tritium dots in the stock sights are tiny, and tend to collect dust and grime to the point where they are hard to see.

I am considering Meprolight sights, but have not decided.

Has anyone gone through this process and maybe offer suggestions. I really dont want to have any milling done to the slide other than the minimal required to fit the sights in the standard dovetail.

Thanks
cheers

Jack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
Went through a similar issue not too long ago and settled on putting a Novak front on my TRS. Much easier to pick up quickly, bigger & brighter tritium dot than Baer. My eyes are just a little younger ;) but I still needed the help. The Novak fit the Baer front dovetail w/o any mods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
doc45 said:
Went through a similar issue not too long ago and settled on putting a Novak front on my TRS. Much easier to pick up quickly, bigger & brighter tritium dot than Baer. My eyes are just a little younger ;) but I still needed the help. The Novak fit the Baer front dovetail w/o any mods.
doc45, I picked up my Concept VII last month, and the only thing I do not like about it is the imitation Novak sights. But when I called Novak to see about having him install the real thing, the employee I spoke with told me the Baer uses a different front dovetail, and indeed that looks to be the case.

How old is your TRS? (Maybe that makes a difference.) Did Novak do the installation? Can you post any before/after photos of your TRS? Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
I just got my Baer concealed carry back from Novak a week ago. They replaced the Baer front sight with one of theirs with tritium insert and white outline. It is much easier to pick up the front sight now. No machining was required. Paid like $53.50 + shipping. It took about a week or alittle less. This was a new Baer pistol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
DocRob said:
I just got my Baer concealed carry back from Novak a week ago. They replaced the Baer front sight with one of theirs with tritium insert and white outline. It is much easier to pick up the front sight now. No machining was required. Paid like $53.50 + shipping. It took about a week or alittle less. This was a new Baer pistol.
Thanks for the information! I'll be calling Novak's in the morning. Did you send them the entire pistol or just the slide?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doc:
to whom did you send the PM? If it was to me I didnt get it.
regards
Jack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
jmclainaz said:
I am considering Meprolight sights, but have not decided.

Has anyone gone through this process and maybe offer suggestions. I really dont want to have any milling done to the slide other than the minimal required to fit the sights in the standard dovetail.
Since you are going to install new sights, a sight in by the installer would make things more efficient. Also recommend Novak Custom. They will sight in at the distance you want, with the round you want. I'm installing Novaks in my SIG 226-9 and am having them install yellow tritiums in the rear, green for the front. Then I'll include (in a separate package :dope: ) a couple of magazines of SGD JHP 115gr. 9MM for the sight-in shoot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Tritium from another perspective...

I have been an avid watch collector for several years, esp. military watches. I dont know how/if this will translate to guns, but in my experience, H3 is no good is daylight or dusk conditions. In absolute darkness, it is exceptional and the best visibility medium out there. It does tend to dull over years and may need replacement in 10 or so years to return to it's full brightest condition. Also, it is used in small vials, the vial breaks, the indicator is dead.

I know this is WAY off topic, maybe it will help somehow.

Rgds

david1911
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,064 Posts
I find Novak sights to be way to busy for my eyes.
I really like Heine's. I suggest you consider them as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,328 Posts
"I find Novak sights to be way to busy for my eyes."

This is an oft quoted thought...

Own eyes are 5 decades+ and use Heinie's on some of competition guns use but unless one uses sight-black the dull serrations catch so much glare that the sight-pic is grossly distracting. Will admit to liking their narrow and deeper notch/post but Novak's need no "cosmetics" in bright sin and are easily picked up in low-light.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
759 Posts
...In the dark, my Meprolight sights are CLEARLY more visible than the Novaks on my weapons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Just had a set of Trijicon Night sights installed on my Kimber and they are much brighter than the MMC sights that were on. I have talked to several "older" shooters that have chosen XS Dot Sights because they are bigger and easier to see. I have a friend who had a XS dot on the front only and loves it.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top