1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just sent out the $$ today for my new (pre merger) CBOB. So, in theory it should be to my FFL by Wednesday next week. It was supposedly a factory demo unit.

Now for the bad news...While my new state has no waiting period, my wife does...I got the OK to get my CBOB as a Christmas gift, but part of the deal is that I don't get it until Christmas :grumble:

I suppose it's a small price to pay to finally have my CBOB...Still wish I could have gotten my custom order in before the merger though...I'd do anything to have my CBOB with my custom serial # :(

-d

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's HERE!!!

So, my new (old) demo CBOB came in yesterday. Even though I have to wait until Christmas to HAVE it, my wife thought it prudent that I look over it to make sure everything was in order. Aside from being pretty dirty it looked good. After a detail strip and a good cleaning it looks MUCH better. It looks like it was produced JUST post merger. It's an extrernal extractor, but the serial # ends in 'CZ'. My only little gripe is that the tail end of the trigger bow is VERY tight in the frame. It doesn't affect trigger operation (it's smooth through the critical part of travel), but you have to kid of "pop" it into the frame to get it in (and my normal test of sliding the trigger in backwards and seeing if it will fall back out or hang up somewhere to gauge fitment is just a no-go). It's nothing horrible, and I'm likely to replace it with a Wilson as I did on my PM1-S anyways...

I do have a couple questions that hopefully somebody here can answer (or possibly one of the folks from DW. I may try to call them today if I have a minute). I attribute the following 2 details to it's 'demo unit' status, but I'm still curious.

- The slide is marked 'PT-C' not 'PT-CBOB'. Is that correct, or am I imagining that there should be a 'BOB' on there?
- Just afer the serial #there is a kind of 'Y' shaped mark stamped into the frame. Is this some kind of 'factory demo' mark or something else? I found it odd that it was stamped rather than laser etched like every other marking.

Haven't fired it yet, but everything looks good and I expect it will be a nice shooter...Waiting is the hard part :)

-d

· Premium Member
10,762 Posts
Rob:

DW did make a PT-C. It is the Commander size without the Bobtail. Is your's bobtailed? If so, I would GUESS you got a mismatch slide and frame. I don't see it being a problem other than the having PT-C vs PT-CBOB.

As far as the "Y", can you post a pic? Have no idea on that.

Here is a list of codes that Dave posted awhile ago.

Common acronyms:

------------------

Prefixes:
PT = Patriot
RZ = Razorback
PM = Pointman
K03 = Panther

Intermediate:
E = Expert = Adjustable sight
M = Marksman = Fixed sight
DP = Dave Pruitt
G = Guardian
GD = Guardian Duce (2-Tone)
EXP = Experimental
HC = High Capacity
1 = Major
2 = Minor 2
3 = Minor
7 = Model Seven
9 = 9mm
A = Aussie
C = Commander
CBOB = Commander Bobtail
CCO = Commander COncealed
XS = Model XS (similar to Panther; often refered to as 'XSS' as it was a stainless gun)

Suffix:
S = Stainless
B = Blue
C = Checkered Frontstrap
FS = Fixed Sights
AS = Adjustable Sights
10 = 10mm
45 = 45acp

Severns Custom
Take care,
Art

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Art,

Correction on the 'Y' bit. It's actually like an upside-down 'Y'. I'll see if I can get my wife to snap a pic today before she wraps it up :)

Dave,

On the 'leftover parts" builds, have you ever seen one where the Bobtail MSH isn't blended w/ the frame? The MSH seems to stick out past the back of the frame a bit and there is ~1/16" (at the worst) part sticking out past the rear of the frame. Just seems a little odd to me. It's nothing that a file can't fix, but the addition of all of these niggling problems together makes me wonder if I should exercise my '3-day eval' period clause and ship it back to swap for one of the 'non-demo/new' ones the same guy has for sale for $50 more. Other than things mentioned already though the fit & finish are great. The slide/frame fit is nice and tight, the barrel locks up like a vault, and the bushing seems to have about zero play when locked up, and yet hasn't worn the barrel at all in the firing it's had prior to my getting it (which was a bit it looks like, as I mentioned it was pretty filthy upon arrival).

Thanks again folks,

-d

· Registered
8,380 Posts
rd:
Well, I wouldn't characterize your pistol as a 'leftover parts' build. It is simply a gun made just after the CZ buyout, before the conversion was made to internal extractors. It's really as simple as that. Regarding the 1/16" protrusion, this sounds completely normal to me, though a photo would clarify...

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave,

Ok..."leftover parts" may have been a little too strong in the wording department :)

I just got an email from Keith who agrees with you that the non-blended MSH is normal, but the inverted Y stamp is nothing he's ever heard of, and the designation of "factory demo" is also news to him.

My concerns are relatively assuaged at this point, but I have to wonder who it was that fired it a bunch and whacked it with a stamp (leaving a bit of a burr I might add) and then sold it as a "factory demonstration unit". I'll probably call the seller and inquire about these details, but I'm not all THAT upset by it. This is to be my carry piece, not a collector's safe queen...I just don't dig that somewhere in it's history somebody has felt the need to be slightly disingenuous about it's life to date.

Bottom line is I like it. It's ALMOST exactly what I wanted to custom order from DW before the merger. I just wish I didn't have to wait to shoot it :grumble: Headed to the range w/ my PM1-S after work today to make up for it :)

Thanks for the help/info,

-d

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Noklue3 said:
Ask "Wifey Clause" if you can test it. You will not last until Christmas...:D
Heh...She actually offered to let me "put a few shells through it". I may take her up on it...But I'll make sure she comes along. She hasn't had a chance to take the 686+ I bought her a while back to the range yet (and she was a little peeved when I outshot her with it in the few rounds we did run in the yard).

She also tried to tell me that now that I had my CBOB that my PM1-S was HER new gun now (though she admitted to liking the CBOB better and asked if it was possible to bobtail the gov't...).

To be truthful, she NEVER wants to wait until the proper gift-giving day to give me stuff, but it irritates her to no end that I'm so patient and good at waiting and tell her to "just wait" to give it to me. :biglaugh:

Rob "I can wait...really I can!" Deker

· Premium Member
10,762 Posts
Take her out...(Wife and the CBOB) sounds like she wants to shoot it as much as you. Which is good of course!....BUT you may then need to buy her one as well. She probably won't be satisfied with the PM1 after she shoots it.

Enjoy it!

Art

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Noklue3 said:
Take her out...(Wife and the CBOB) sounds like she wants to shoot it as much as you. Which is good of course!....BUT you may then need to buy her one as well. She probably won't be satisfied with the PM1 after she shoots it.
She's mostly a wheelgun and longgun girl. Her list of "must have" long guns is somewhere in the mid 20's in number now...although she is working on deciding what she wants as a carry piece now that we're in a sane state...

Also, further info from the dealer I got it from re: the "demo unit" business. According to him, he had 2 or 3 "demo" pieces that he got from CZ-USA that were taken around and shown to dealers, etc to push the new line (and that those were likely marked with the inverted Y stamp). He referred me to a specific gentleman at CZ-USA that I'll be contacting to finish the story as he is believed to be the guy who was demo-ing this particular gun.

So, while Bob/Keith et. al. don't "demo" guns, it looks like CZ reps do :)

If I find more info on new practices I'll post it.

-d

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dave Severns said:
What Art said. And...post us a pic already! Very curious to see a "demo" DW! :scratch:
I'll be taking pics shortly, but probably can't post until tomorrow. We just moved and I don't know where the memory card reader for the digicam went :scratch: I'll take the card to work tomorrow to 'develop' the pics ;)

Dave Severns said:
BTW, tell wifey that it's ALWAYS possible to 'bob that Gov't model... :D ;) Enjoy, my friend. :)
Believe me, I did, and thought of you as I said it...So, what would bobbing a gov't or blending the MSH on a new CBOB run a guy Dave? :)

Rob "Already spending overtime he hasn't worked" Deker

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And finally the pics....

"Wifey Claus" unwrapped things for me last night so I could take photos...JUST FOR YOU GUYS :-D

They didn't all come out great since my hands aren't always quite steady enough for macro exposure, but there are a couple of the stamp next to the SN and the "lip" on the MSH that came out pretty well.

Pics can be seen here.

-d

· Premium Member
10,762 Posts
rob

Good pics and it looks very nice! I have never seen that mark-upsidedown Y before...Interesting. Posting the pic here for ya. Maybe Bob or Keith can fill us in on it.
Thanks,
Art

· Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Boy, from your description I expected a gun with more use marks. That is one nice clean pistol. I would be proud to own it. Soon I hope to have one myself. Good luck getting your xmas present just the way you like it.:rock:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.