1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a gun show today looking for a WWII Ithaca 1911. I found four all priced $1800 to $1900.

Then I stumbled on this:

I take it it is a stainless steel Type V Combat Master. Looks to be in great shape. Only one magazine.
I was told that the trigger is a replacement.
Anything else anyone can tell about it?

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Very nice example. They have a great history and those of us who own them love them. I carry one just like it everyday. Grip tight as they can limp wrist. The first real compact 1911.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,340 Posts
It looks like the slide stop has been replaced. I base that assessment mostly on the finger piece being shorter than what I'm used to seeing, but it does look like there's an angle cut on the slide stop, where the plunger bears against it, so maybe that part just came from a different contractor than those I've seen.
The plunger rides over the point of the undercut when firing, and then has to cam somewhat back into the tube to allow the slide stop to move upward and lock the slide, resisting premature slide lock.

EDIT: I think the angle cut on the slide stop is the feature that identifies the Detonics part, and the length and shape of the thumb piece varies. On my gun, circa 1979, the thumb piece covers about half the length of the slide stop, more than usual for a "1911" part, but it looks like some Combat Masters had slide stops closer to the normal Colt/G.I. configuration.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information.
Hopefully I'll get to shoot it tomorrow.

Now if I could only find additional magazines at a reasonable price.

·
Super Moderator
22,340 Posts
I use a Metalform "Detonics" mag as my carry mag, but use full-length 7-rounders as reloads.
Someone who was very familiar with Detonics told me that the Metalform tube, with (convex) stainless Pachmayr follower is pretty close to an ideal mag for the Combat Master.
I used a Dremel with a cut-off wheel to make the slot in the baseplate to allow the follower to protrude ("fully loaded indicator").
The mags made by Metalform for Georgia Detonics are supposed to be the best, but the mags that Metalform sells today as Detonics mags are apparently made to Phoenix Detonics specs, and not as good as the later ones, and the follower change addresses that.
I've never shopped for "factory" Georgia Detonics mags, but I'll bet they're pretty rare, and not cheap.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Need CM Mag Help

Can some one please tell me what mags to buy and what are the followers that was mentioned in this post.

Thanks,

Joels45s

·
Registered
417 Posts
- looks like a replacement rear sight.
The original Detonics mags for the CM had a strip of metal in the rear that would be pushed down with the rounds that were loaded, and would then protrude through the bottom of the mag floorplate. This was a tactil, visible indicator of a loaded mag.
It's not required for operation, just another cool innovation from Detonics.

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
I have one I bought new in 1984. Used it as a backup for my Colt Gov main carry. The only thing I have done to it is replace the wood grips with some from Pachmayr. It came with wood grips I still have.

This has the shortest grip of any 1911 variant in my collection. When you stuff in a Colt Officers mag for instance:

I only have a couple extra mags for it. One bought at the gunstore I bought it from in 1984 and another at the "mag table" at a gunshow several years ago. I usually use it with full length Gov mags when I take it out and play with it. I no longer carry it. If you wanted to something like it to carry a Colt Defender is a lot better in my mind.

·
Super Moderator
22,340 Posts
Can some one please tell me what mags to buy and what are the followers that was mentioned in this post.

Thanks,

Joels45s
Metalform supplied mags to Detonics, and they - Metalform - still sell a mag for the Combat Master. I think I ordered mine through Brownells.
The mag does not have the "loaded indicator" feature of early Combat Master mags, instead using a short rear leg on the follower.
If you want to replace the factory Metalform follower with a standard "1911" follower, you will have to either shorten the rear leg, or cut a slot in the baseplate to allow the follower to protrude when fully loaded. I think you can get the Pachmayr followers from Brownells, too.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have always liked the Detonics ever since they first came out. Untill these pictures I had never noticed how far forward the rear site is.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I forgot to return and report on my range test of the gun.

It was flawless with the mag it came with and the new (with finger extension) mag I bought from Detonics.

BTW, that finger extension really helps to keep the my fingers from slipping on the smooth front strap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts