1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked my New Special Forces. This is the older 5 inch version with the original Scallop style treatment. I'll be using it as my duty gun so started the test firing today with 100rds of ball. So far no issues not one using Wilson 47d mags. This is going to be a good one!! Anyone know what weight recoil spring comes standard? I assume either 16.5 or 18 but I can't find the answer anywhere. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
I found the flat wire springs do not last anywhere near as long as advertized. But they are low cost and my pistols feel smoother. Some have a squeak from the spring.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Anyone know what weight recoil spring comes standard? I assume either 16.5 or 18 but
Per Ed Brown's FAQ:

How often should the recoil spring be replaced? What recoil spring is used in the Ed Brown 1911’s?

We recommend replacing the recoil spring every 3,000 rounds. Ed Brown 5″ Government models are equipped with an 16.5# recoil spring as standard (our part number 9165-G), while the 18# recoil spring (our part number 918-G) is generally preferred for heavier loads. Ed Brown 4.25″ Commander models are equipped with a 20# recoil spring (our part number 920-C).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts