1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently noticed a couple of online vendors that are advertising 1950s era Colt Govt 1911s. These seem to be new old stock or never before issued pieces. The guns are packed in cosmoline and have rough looking boxes. Any idea where these came from? Any info on these guns would be appreciated.

P.S. Check out OzarkGuns to see an example of what I mean.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the price seems high. I have seen them as low as $1700 without the proper box/documents. I am still curious about the history of these guns, though. How does one magically find a pallet of NIB 1950s Colts packed in cosmoline...?

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,332 Posts
I heard/read that a PD bought something like 200-300 of them, and they've been sitting in a room or safe, waiting for this day. Don't know why they weren't issued, or issued on only a limited basis, back in the day.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Maybe,foreign military aid. We do give a lot of stuff away, and then buy it back, only to sell it to the taxpayers, who paid for it twice already.

The CMP just got a bunch of M1 Carbines that way.

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
They are commercial Government Models. Ozark claims to have access to a lot of them, but note that they do not have them in stock. You have to order one, then they'll in turn order from whoever has them. You have no chance to inspect or even see pictures of the one they'll send you. For what they want for them I most certainly would never take that kind of risk.

·
Registered
518 Posts
for $2200-2500, no thanks.
Yeah, at that rate it would be a long time before its collector value surpassed the initial investment. And that's if you could resist shooting it, which I could not. Too bad though_____I sure would like to have one of those babies.

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
On Gunbroker there are several listed, ranging from $2400 to $3200 (yikes!). To say the least they have all been there for some time, meaning the sellers are content to sit there like a spider and lay in wait for some sucker to come along.

·
Registered
658 Posts
50s colts

On Gunbroker there are several listed, ranging from $2400 to $3200 (yikes!). To say the least they have all been there for some time, meaning the sellers are content to sit there like a spider and lay in wait for some sucker to come along.
I didn't pay that much for mine. But they are nice. This one came from a private seller. I think I could do worse for an investment. Truman

·
Registered
391 Posts
Oh my god it's beautiful. I want one....badly

·
Registered
651 Posts
This one is not mine - it's a VERY NICE "BB" Transition model that was recently purchased at a very reasonable price by a member here.

They are out there and you don't need to spend $2500 - I'd keep looking!

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
The box says blue. It looks nickle.
He he, that's what Colt's commercial models USED to look like. It's called polishing. Something not seen like that since the mid-80s except on some very limited runs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts