1911Forum banner

New owner of a Daly FS

984 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  labuyo 
#1 ·
I just purchased a used CD for a very reasonable price. Haven't shot it yet, but the first thing I did was to take it to a local smith' and had a 20# wolff recoil and FP springs replaced and had the ambidextrious safety and slide stop replaced with standard Govt' style safety and stop. My smith' told me to shoot it, and then he would further tune it to make it a more accurate and reliable firearm.

I can't wait to shoot it. I will take it to the range and run a couple of hundred hardball rounds through it to see how it shoots.

Does anybody have any other suggestions to what I might want to do to it to further fix it up.

All suggestions and comments will be appreciated.

#3 ·
My only suggestion before shooting is to replace that heavy spring with a standard spring.

The standard spring is designed for hardball and a 20# spring is normally used for either heavy loads or some kind of corrective action (controlling how far the gun ejects for instance).

Heavy springs can cause all kinds of problems that the gun will get blamed for.

The trigger and extractor are my first replacements although the trigger may be the only necessary replacement.

#5 ·
It is an FS model.

I took it to the range last night, and it is very accurate. I put the 18.5# spring in before I fired it to see how it shoots without the mod. After firing 50 rnds I had 11 FTE.

I replaced the spring w/ the 20# wolff and I fired an additional 200 rnds w/ only 1 FTE. I took it to the smith today and he replaced the extractor. I took it back to the range and fired another 250 rnds without 1 failure.

I was very impressed. I had 3-4" groups at 25 yrds and 2" @ 10 yrds. I am very impressed with this gun, especially after what I paid for it.

It's great.

#6 ·
I should state that I was firing 230 gr FMJ Remington UMC hardball, and Tennessee Valley 230 gr FMJ reloads that are sold at my local range.

I feel the heavier spring slowes the slide and keeps it from catching the ejected brass.

This may not be the actual solution, but that was the same explaination my smith gave me when I told him what was happening.

#7 ·
I took it to my local smith and he replaced the extractor with an standard colt govt' extractor. He also replaced the trigger with a short colt govt' trigger. He stoned the trigger and it now breaks at a crisp 4.5 lbs.

Took it to the range and fired 300 rnds without a single FTF or FTE.

I also replaced the grips with a set of handmade custom grips. They are a light color that just sets it off, when you look at it.

I'll try to get some pictures, and post them sometime soon.

#9 ·
Originally posted by Sniper_44:
I have a #20 in my MS and was thinking about trying a #22 spring. I don't know if thats too much for a 4 inch slide or not.
I've got a #20 in my colt combat commander. My smith' told me that if that didn't soften the recoil a little and tighten my groups he could get me a #22 and that wouldn't cause any problems. It works perfectly. Now if I can only figure out why my shots are stringing up and down.

#12 ·
Sorry to jump-in late to this thread. I used to use 20# recoil spring in my 1911s(CD,COLT and STI) and I did experience having the up and down stringing. Someone adviced me to use 15# and never had this problem again. I do worry about slide battering the frame too much when using hot loads, so I'ved installed shock buffs. So far no problem to date( I now have 8k shot through my CD!). I use ISMI recoil spring. I suggest you Try this set up. Safe shooting!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.