1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up my Stainless Panther at my FFL guys shop on Saturday. It was purchased through Sporting Arms for an advertised price of $539.00. With shipping, FFL transfer, $5.00 to PA for the background check and $3.50 for the state mandated purchase of a gun lock my total investment is $585.50. This gun will be used for home defense, target shooting and possibly IDPA competition.

My initial impression at the gun shop:

Nice looking gun.....a set of nicely figured wood grips would make it look even nicer.
Fantastic slide to frame fit....like it was gliding on bearings.
Disappointing trigger, lots of creep.
Thumb safety is incredibly tight...painful to disengage, impossible to reengage with only thumb pressure.
Low serial # x1xx. Does anyone know how many of these DW produced?

I took it home and field stripped it, cleaned it with CLP, applied a light coat of RemOil and put it back together. Off to the range!

Firing offhand at 25 yards my first magazine of Seller&Belloit 230gr FMJ's fell within a 4 inch group and about 4 inches low. I was having trouble with the XS sights, they seemed difficult to acquire and maintaining the correct sight picture (round dot right on top of the white line) produced low hits. The trigger was also causing problems. During a controlled press the trigger would "break" but I had to continue applying pressure through a section of mushy creep before the weapon would fire. After a couple more magazines shooting bullseye targets I started getting the hang of the sights. Raising the dot a bit above the white line brought things on target. On the plus side, no failures of any kind.

I retrieved by Kimber Compact CDP from the Jeep and took both pistols over the the pin tables.

My scores were noticeable better with the Kimber. The combination of familiar three dot sights and a crisp trigger more than offset the shorter sight radius of the Kimber and allowed me to acquire and blast the pins more quickly than I could with the Panther. I also noticed that the Panther was throwing the spent brass about 8-9 feet indicating that the recoil spring was a bit on the light side. I switched to Ranger-T 230gr +P JHP's for a while then called it a day.

Results: 100 rounds S&B and 25 rounds Ranger-T +P's fired with no failures and one very sore thumb from working that tight thumb safety.

This morning I took the Panther apart, cleaned things and installed a Wolff 20lb recoil spring and an extra power firing pin spring. Back at the range the brass was now traveling about 4-5 feet, much better. I fired another 100 S&B's and 25 Ranger-T's with no failures. The Panther looks to be a very reliable gun.

Conclusions: The Good, The Bad, etc.

The Good:
100% reliable so far. My Kimber CDP required 400 rounds to break in reliably.
Appears to be quite accurate.

The Bad:
The trigger. After reading all the post here about crisp, light, out of the box triggers I was expecting the same. The poor trigger is preventing the gun from reaching its accuracy potential. If more shooting doesn't improve things I'll need to spend some $$$ to have a good 'smith smooth the trigger.
That @#! tight thumb safety. I'm disappointed that DW would let something this obvious out of their shop. I'll probably have my 'smith fit a Chip McCormick extended thumb safety.

The Jury is still Out:
The XS sights. So far I don't care for them. I'll probably install a set of Meprolight three dots.
Rubber Grips. They work well but 1911's look better with wood.

Overall, not a bad purchase, definintly not a Lemon, but this Dan Wesson will require some work.

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Marcel.....

Good report. What you have described is pretty much what I've seen on the shelves recently. Mostly little nit picky things that bother the heck out of me when you consider how nice the DWs are in general. Recent DWs that I've seen have had noisy, creepy triggers. I can't stand triggers that "pop" before the hammer drops (on the ones that I've looked at recently).

Still, for the price, nothing on the market can touch what you have. With a little tweaking you'll be on your way to some tighter groups.

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
225 Posts
If/when you decide to change the sights, let me know. I think they'd be pretty good on my Kimber.

I was looking at some new DW's just the other day. I had a Panther in one hand and a Seven in the other, and I wound up picking the Seven.

I prefer the fixed bar/dot sights on the Panther to the adjustable sight on the Seven, but the Panther had too many other things I don't like. Things like the external extractor, GI style guide rod, no front cocking serrations, rubber grips...and the trigger was just as you described it. According to my local dealer, you really need to look at the DW's before you plunk down the $$. He claims some have excellent triggers and some just have so-so triggers.

I know the Seven I just put on layaway has one of the best triggers I've felt in a while. Shame it's got those dang adjustable sights, though...

·
Registered
225 Posts
I don't know how long it's been sitting there, but it's got a 3 digit serial number in the low 200's.

I'm dying to get it out to the range.

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Stasher1.......

The Sevens started at Serial number 100. You may have a very early Seven. I have 3X and 4X. Very nice pistols.

Regards,
Sam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts