1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as a new Para owner who just came over to the 1911 side a few months ago I am having some issues with my new Para Warthog. I purchased my first 1911 4 months ago in the form of a Taurus PT1911 and loved it, not an issue one. I decided since I have a CCW permit in my state (Fla) to carry a 1911 but the PT1911 was a little hard to hide with a 5" barrel so I started looking for a shorter 1911 and found one that I liked in the Warthog.

My new pistol arrived on Wed of last week and on Saturday took it to the range with 100rds of CCI Blazer Brass 230gr fmj. Boy I was very disappointed with the way the gun shot. Out of 100rds I had 7 FTF and once left it left the slide back with a round left in the mag.

After reading on here I have to wonder if I have just made a $680.00 mistake. I am going to buy some different ammo (winchester and UMI) and try them next week and see if I have the same issues. If so I am going to get a hold of Para and see what they want to do. This is a brand new gun and the performance is unacceptable if I am going to put my trust in this gun to protect myself and my family. I will keep everyone updated

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
I'll bite

Lvrguyfl2006 said:
found one that I liked in the Warthog.
A fairly good choice for short 1911, good following

Lvrguyfl2006 said:
My new pistol arrived on Wed of last week and on Saturday took it to the range with 100rds of CCI Blazer Brass 230gr fmj. Boy I was very disappointed with the way the gun shot. Out of 100rds I had 7 FTF
If you feel like giving it a chance, clean it again and try about 200 more rounds. Questions:
"How was the accuracy of the hits?"
"Are you grasping the gun with a FIRM grip?"

Lvrguyfl2006 said:
t left the slide back with a round left in the mag.
You may have inadvertently hit the slide lock with your thumb. Were you using a two-handed hold? How high was your right-hand thumb? Is it close to the slide lock?

Lvrguyfl2006 said:
After reading on here I have to wonder if I have just made a $680.00 mistake. I am going to buy some different ammo (winchester and UMI) and try them next week and see if I have the same issues. If so I am going to get a hold of Para and see what they want to do. This is a brand new gun and the performance is unacceptable if I am going to put my trust in this gun to protect myself and my family. I will keep everyone updated
Cool. Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Lvrguyfl2006:

Welcome aboard....

Para will help if necessary.

However stillwater's got the right idea - a few hundred more rounds and maybe a little ammunition juggling may be necessary. Seems to be a "requirement" for short-barreled 1911's....

If you've got one of the older guns, some pre-ban double-stack magazines have weak springs. Para apparently bashed out as many of those as they could and then kept selling them until the ban expired. The nickel-plated magazines seem to be more reliable out-of-the-box. Usually a last-round failure to feed can be blamed on the springs. Wolff has 'em, and they're very inexpensive....

Make sure the gun's lubricated properly, too.... And check the slide stop. I had one break, and that caused all kinds of problems. The "giveaway" is that you can pop the slide stop out of the gun anywhere, not just at the usual disassembly point.

My next Para will be a little Hawg. Probably SA rather than LDA.... Almost bought one last Friday.

Regards,

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have had the same problem with my LDA Carry. I have put at least 400 Rds thought it ans it still has FTF problems. I tried three other brands of mags and no cigar.

Last week, just as I was packing up, the guy next to me tell me to try his Wilson mag. I told him I was out of ammo so he filled the mag and I went through the filled mag with no issues. THis is encurageing and I would have like to try more but I was spent. I will now buy a WC mag and full test it.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
Blazer ammo gets many comments on poor feeding. Switch ammo and see how the pistol shoots. Also try MetalForm flush base magazines; the hockey puck Wilson bases are just too long for concealment for me but make good spares in the belt.

I've owned 4 Paras (and still own 1) and none have had problems using Metalform magazines. I put 800+ rounds thru my Para CCW during a long weekend training course with no issues. Likewise with my Para Companion. Both small framed pistols like the Warthog.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
534 Posts
"Out of 100rds I had 7 FTF and once left it left the slide back with a round left in the mag."

sometimes the nose of the round will hit the inside of the slide stop while it's making it's way up the ramp. that might be the reason the slide locks back with rounds still in the mag. I've had the problem with a few 1911s. a lot of times, hollowpoints don't have the extra length of slug and will not interfere with the slide stop. if it keep happening, have a 'smith round a little off the slide stop where it meets the magazine follower.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
My Warthog has been absolutely 100% reliable, never any problems. I do know that many people have problems with 3" 45's and it is common to hear of reliability issues with the compact 45's from all the different brands (look at Kimber forums too). I believe most are related to limp wristing the gun during shooting. I would also suggest that the gun should be well lubed. With a short slide everything is working fast and with minimal tolerances, the little guns have less play, keeping them lubed seems to help.

·
Registered
39 Posts
stillwater said:
..You may have inadvertently hit the slide lock with your thumb..How high was your right-hand thumb?..Is it close to the slide lock?..
Thanks for the tips, StillW.
I had the same thing happen to me w/my first Warthog. When the slide locked back on me, it was as far back as it would possibly go..when you say "slide lock", do you mean the "slide lock safety"?..You are the first person that w/an explanation as to how this may have happened..how does this lock the slide back? I could not get it to go back..

To the OP..I've always had good luck w/DPX and Remington from WallyWorld..mine likes the remington cases that DPX uses, and they both have the same shaped bullet..stubby shaped bullets like Fed and Speers don't work in mine..
melensdad said:
With a short slide everything is working fast and with minimal tolerances, the little guns have less play, keeping them lubed seems to help.
That is so true..it's unbelievable just how fast these guns fire off 11 rounds..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well, I guess I will find out for myself soon. I just ordered a Warthog 9 (PXT Hawg 9). May be in Monday, Christmas eve. If not, Wednesday. I will go to the range and let you know what happens. Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update

Well, Here is an update on my Warthog feed issues. I took it to the range today with 100 rnds of winchest 230gr fmj, and 50 rnds of rem 230 gr fmj. Fired all all the ammo with no FTF's, I did have the slide lock back twice with a round left in the mag, I did a quick mag slap and hit the slide release and it fed the last round and fired fine. After the last trip to the range with this weapon I cleaned it up, lubed it real good.

I have to wonder if the feed issue with the last round is spring related or mag related.

The only other issue I have is that it shoots low and to the left. To hit CM of target I have to aim for the right shoulder, so when I get some more ammo I will go back to the range and try to set the sights now that I have the feed issue resolved. Will keep everyone posted.

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
Glad this range trip was better than the last! If it's any consolation (and I've said this before) my LDA Para TAC-S has been flawless for over 8k rounds, BUT I had issues with the stock mags/springs where the spring would actually collapse, causing the follower to tilt and I could actually feel the rounds rattling free in there-what a horrible feeling. This was at around the 4k rd mark, so mayhaps I should've changed springs anyway, but I felt better just tucking them into the back of the safe. Never had any feeding issues, just springs losing their mojo. I've since picked up some cheap gunshow mags and they work perfectly. I've also used SA mags, WC and others with no issues at all. Bottom line, toss the mags and heed the advice above on ammo. I've never found a brand or reload mine didn't like as long as I ditched the stockers. Good luck.

BTW-I shot one of those things and holy macaroni does it kick with CorBons! Make mine a 5"!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Lvrguyfl2006 said:
The only other issue I have is that it shoots low and to the left. To hit CM of target I have to aim for the right shoulder, so when I get some more ammo I will go back to the range and try to set the sights now that I have the feed issue resolved. Will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Juking, thanks for the chart.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
SpecStingPL:

My range buddy and I use that target all the time.

One particularly bad night it suggested "get another hobby".... :biglaugh:

The big thing to remember with this target is that you need to look at groups. Single shots don't mean anything. Three or four rounds, minimum, in the same area, means something.

Unless you're under fifteen feet :bawling: ....

Lvrguy:

Magazine springs should last forever if not abused, assuming the springs are "right" in the first place. Too strong, or too weak, and you're starting with a problem. Dirt, rust, or bent followers, as well as feed lip issues, may be more common. That said, the Wolff folks are cheap enough that covering any doubts probably is worth it. (Grab a couple recoil springs, too....)

Regards,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts