1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a para expert carry. I believe this model to be new for 2013. Its a 3inch model with a full size grip. This is the first para ive purchased but not the first 1911 ive owned. I am by no means a 1911 enthusiast but was looking for an off duty compact .45 and decided to treat myself to something other than a polymer framed auto. I chose the para over a remington and kimber. Now I understand that many 1911's require a "break in" period. I guess im a little concerned about any gun which doesnt fire reliably out of the box. I believe im past the break in period as the ftf's have been reduced to almost none.Has anyone had experience with this paticular model and if so what type of jhp's have you found to feed relaibly in this model. I apologize for redundancy if this has been addressed already but its my understanding that the 3 inch 1911's are a bit of a differnt animal than their full size counterparts.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
My experience

Pawl190:

I've owned one for almost a year and ~9000 rounds. Mine has always been 100%, even before the "300" round break-in count. Mine feeds Guard Dog, Remington Sabers, Hornady Critical Defense, and 230gr FMJ. All of these in the 230gr variant. Since I own a business doing this sort of thing I always check Extractor tension and shape. I always fully disassemble, clean lube, and inspect. One could make the argument that you shouldn't have to do this. If the internal costs at Para were close to mine then the Gun's price would need to be adjusted by ~+$120.00. Some buyers would balk at that increase in price. I might believe that the lighter HPs may not feed as reliably for a multitude of reasons, why would you not take advantage of that extra mass. Years ago, in another line of work, I had the opportunity to use 230gr FMJ in application. It was extremely effective. I never saw over penetration or failure to stop the target. In the last year I have reverted to 230gr FMJ. This is primarily due to the fact that this is the most common denominator in ammo for this caliber. This is not, is not, a comment designed to start the HP vs FMJ pissing contest so common to these threads. I hope this helps. Bottom line, Para should be consulted, you paid for a warranty in the price, it's up to you if you wish to exploit it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
call para customer service the guys are great they can point you in the right direction i have the executive carry and run hornaday CD with the green or red poly tips never a mis feed leave mags full when not using and a little light grease on rails til broken in then just use rem oil and clean over 700 rounds not a single misfire but cleaned and greased before ever shot it

jhp

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got rid of this gun and went out and bought a kimber ultra + cdp ii. What a great gun. I simply didnt trust the para. It seems they are a hit or miss when it comes to reliability. My kimber feeds everything I put through it and it has had no ftf's or jams of any sort. I must say I will not recommend para to anyone who asks. I paid the price for a kimber but have no regrets. I simply love the gun.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Just bought one and immediately had issues with one variety of HP ammo - Winchester. The rounds hung up on the feed ramp as if they were riding on sandpaper. I disassembled the gun cleaned it completely and retried with different magazines than the stock supplied. Same issue with the Winchester ammo but ball ammo fed reliably with every magazine used. I intend to do a standard fire break in procedure using just 250 rounds of ball ammo in the following (pain in the butt) procedure: Fire one round, clean barrel do this for 10 rounds then clean entire gun. Fire 5 rounds, clean barrel, fire 5 more clean barrel, fire 5 more and clean everything. Fire full magazine + 1, clean barrel and do 2 more times then clean entire gun. Fire 50 rounds and clean entire gun do this 4 more times and gun should be "broken in."

Have done this with all my guns, yes I do reload but usually use factory ball ammo for pistols and a mix of lead and ball for revolvers. Rifles a tad different but use FMJ for all military type (M1, M1A, M14, M16, etc). Hunting rifles and commercial carts are done in a tad more detail using less. Once all broke in, just a matter of rechecking before using. Ahhh, but I digress too damn much! Good luck with your new gun!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts