1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after hemming and hawing for several months now last week I broke down and ordered a Patriot. This is a combo of my mad money and an early B'day or Christmas from my loving wife (I guess she puts up with it because it keeps me out of the bars). The Patriot in question is a Stainless Marksman. I was hoping for a blued pistol but my shop, who does business primarily with Ellet Bros. said that Ellet was no longer going to stock the Patriot, could not get a good answer as to why. The only one they had was the stainless marksman, I wanted the fixed sights anyway. I got the stainless delivered for in the vicinity of retail of the blued pistol so I did not get hurt there. First Impressions--The pistol is simply beautiful, even in stainless, with beautifully figured double diamond wood grips. Second Impressions-- Not quite as favorable--the slide and trigger felt gritty and there was some slight binding at the exteme ends of the slide stroke. Being stainless on stainless before cycling too much I lubed with a little dribble of Breakfree on the slide rails bushing and guide rod. This helped some. I bought 3 powermags to go with the one provided with the pistol (wish they would give us a couple with each purchase)Now for the shooting--Initially groups with Win clean looked more like shotgun patterns. The trigger was gritty and seemed to be erratic. The good news was with the WinClean there wre no FTF or FTE or any other misbehaviors through about about 50 rounds using individually numbered magazines. At this point I shifted to some of my reloads-- First reload was 200 LSWC over 4.7 of AA#2 on a dillon 550 with Dillon dies and a Lee FCD yielding crimp diameters of .469 to .470. These reloads did not funtion well at all, at least initially. The first round fed from magazine #1 did not go fully into battery, lacked approx 3/32". The tap did not send it home so I removed the mag and struggled for a few seconds to clear the chamber. An examination of the bullet showed no obvious culprit. Reloade Mag #1 into the pistol now with 7 rounds and the same thing happened, except this time lonly light thumb pressure was requires to fully rtb. This continued with about half the rounds through the mag requirng a forward assist. After 7 rounds the errant first round was rechambered with no problems. All of my reloads had been 100% checked in a Wilson case gage and had gaged sat. Similar problems continued through mags 2 through 4 with decreasing frequency. After that series I upped the ante a bit and went to 8.5 Grns of AA#5 under the same 200 LSWC (H&G 68). This load is warmish with velocities out of my KZ in the vicinity of 1000FPS. Through 4 mags no FTF, no FTE and no FTRB. Groups are starting to look like a good full choke shotgun. Ran another couple of mags of the light load and now there were no FTRB and the groups were 5 or 6 rounds touching in a cluster and a couple or three out a bit. The functioning of the slide was somewhat smoother. Another couple of mags of the hot 200s and again no problems and again something approaching an acceptable group. I finally took notice that the trigger was much smoother and seemed more consistent. Shooting was conducted on 25'reduced size timed and rapid fire bullseye targets shot at 25'. POA vs POI. POI is about 1" low and 1" right of POA. This is unusual for me in that groups are normally left of POA on a cherry pistol. After about 150 rounds of lead and jacketed field stripped the pistol for its first cleaning. No obvious burrs but the remnants of some tool chatter on the rails, the barrel cleaned up very quickly to mirror brightness and the ramping on the frame looked good. I'll shoot another couple of hundred rounds before I worry with sight adjustments and the like. All told I am fairly happy with the pistol. The trigger and slide issues were not completely unexpected with the stainless. The good thing about the stainless is that it will get better over time, provided I keep it properly lubed. If in 6 weeks or so I report back that I am shooting this as well as my Series I Kimber compact I will be very happy. Sorry for the length of the post

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Nice report..

Sounds like it's gonna work out alright for you.

Some pics would be appreciated. :cool:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I had a gritty slide/frame on my Guardian Duce when I received it. I hand polished the frame rails using Flitz and then Miltec'd the rails and slide. 100% improvement.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hello HRT;

I just wanted you to know that I got to handle your Dan Wesson before you. I really wanted to take it out and run a couple of hundred rds through it before you, (I did'nt think you would mind!! :biglaugh: )

I took my Panther out and punched a couple of hundred holes in some paper yesterday also.

Hope to see you tonight, or at the Pin Shoot tomorrow.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
byt094--
It would have been alright by me but probably not Kevin or Sue. It would have been a used gun and quite a bit less expensive:D :D . I thought there was kind of a musty smell around it and now I know the cause:D :D :D

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Patriot Competition Report

Further up this page you read my sort of range report on my new Patriot Stainless Marksman. Well last night was my first "competition" with the new pistol. The get together was a semi formal pin shoot. 5 pins on 2 levels (3 bottom &2 Top) on the front edge of a 4-1/2' wide table at 25' shot from a low ready time starts with the whistle and ends when the final pin is on the floor. I was shooting 200 gr SWC over 8.5 gr of AA#5 for probably 975 to 1000fps. First pass was a 6.5 or so, not a best but well better than average, second pass was around 7 third and 4th I don't want to talk about except to say that the front sight exists for a reason and I must remember to use it. 5th pass was 5 shots 5 pins approx 5 seconds (personal best and with a new pistol to boot) and the final pass around 8. Good enough for a 3rd in the iron sight category of about 9 shooters. No failures to feed extract or any other bad manners. Slide is really coming in and the trigger is at the don't mess with it stage. Amazing what a couple of hundred rounds and a couple of hundred dry firings compemented by a thorough cleaning can do for a Pistol. BTW had an offer for a KZ and $200 for the pistol. I don't need or want another KZ. Lou Alessi's CQC/S in cordovan excited almost as much attention as the pistol and with a long covering garment a full size just disappears comfortably

·
Registered
844 Posts
HRT, Thanks for the nice report and update,
Break-in is always important with a new tight 1911. I am very glad to see you satisfied with your pin shooting now. I also do the same thing and forget that the front sights are there. I, Yes Big Bad Bob, Missed a Deer last year with 3 shots. The first shot the deer just looked at me funny. The next shot he actually started walking towards me. I’m not sure if he was mad or just stupid!! Then on the 3erd shot he decided that I may actually look at my sights and he took off. Strange but true. Oh well, at least I had fun and something to laugh about. I shot over him every time because I did not pay attention to the front sight.

Thanks Again…
Bob
DWF
:) :D :biglaugh:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts