1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had crossed paths with one of these before and walked away, but when I checked this one out it wasn't going to be ignored. Needless to say it was coming home. It seems I have a type I go for and after adding the Chen SI Magwell and VZ grips to fill the gaps it looked just right.

First few rounds threw it and right off the bat it didn't go into battery, though a little nudge from the rear and it was right as rain, cycled through the rest of the mag without any issues and quite accurate to boot.
Got it cleaned up and ready for its next outing.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice! There's a used one at the LGS, with some abortion of a huge magwell added (and the original parts are in the box with it). I was sorely tempted by it, especially at the price they wanted, but decided to go another direction (SA Ronin Commander) for about 2/3s of the money. They want $1200 for it, which is more than fair, except the previous owner put a shallow idiot scratch on it (I think that could be buffed out with a Scotch pad). I was in the mood for a LW Commander, though, and went with the Ronin instead. Hopefully, the Ronin will be in by this weekend. It shipped yesterday.
I always keep an eye open for whatever shows up, every so often a real beauty is sitting in the counter and I have figured out that if I wait often it will be gone pretty quickly and I find myself playing it off like I am glad someone else got to it first. Who am I kidding, there pretty much isn't a 1911 I don't like or a brand I won't try.
The Ronin seem pretty nice, I hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey folks thanks for the tips about the ammo, tell you what I did ultimately. The disconnector is where the slide would hang up, it would mostly happen to my friends with large hands, they would grip the gun in a way that their left hand thumb was riding the slide and slowing it down, this would allow it to hang up on the disconnector.

Well I went in and chamfered the edge of the sear spring making contact with the disconnector and polished that up a little as well and was able to get it to feel a bit smoother. I did not want to change the bend in the spring only its contact point, the trigger weight is a pretty consistent 3# 14oz and that felt really good.

240 rounds down the pipe now and I am pretty happy with how it's running.

I am no bullseye shooter but here are the first 10 at 15 yards 2 hand hold my last range trip..

At least having this new piece is giving me the opportunity to put a few rounds down range, hadn't been doing a lot of shooting as of late and had really missed this part of gun ownership.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts