1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new PM7 and took it to the range today. I put over 100 rounds through it and had no problem with the first 3 mags. After that, I had a total of 8 failures to feed occuring on the first round of each mag. Is this just a case of "breaking in" a new pistol or should I be a bit more concerned? FYI, I was using factory ammo with both Dan Wesson and Ed Brown mags.

On a positive note, while the FTF issue was very disappointing, the accuracy was incredible.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Sometimes the Metalform mags that ship with DW's are a little tight at the front of the lips. If your FTF is nose down you may want to open the front of the mag lips up a few thousandths. Just a small tweak makes a big difference in the angle the round will exit the mag. I cycle tons of dummy rounds with every new mag I get, watching the angle, and tweaking it so its just right. I love Metalform mags but I dont have a single one I have not tweaked a little.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi!
A tip I was given years back (for first round failure to feeds) was to load the magazine one round short of maximum capacity.
IE: If it is an 8 rounder load 7. Try this and see if it makes any difference. I do this as a matter of practice on all my pistol magazines. I also smack the back flat of the magazine into the palm of my hand..to seat all rounds to the back and at the follower angle, and, contrary to some, I spray Remington's DRI-LUBE into a new magazine to help break it in.
If problem continues, try what the gent said about tweaking the mag. If still not working, call the factory and ask for Phil, or Jennifer, or Rhonda. Let us know how you make out
Max

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all your comments. The Pointman has gone back to the dealer for some minor mods. Hopefully, it will be done next week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pointman is Performing!

After getting my new Pointman back from my selling dealer, I immediately took it to the range. I ran over 300 rounds through it without any more feed problems!

It seems that the feed ramp angle was not quite right but it fixed now!

The gun is performing flawlessly and is incredibly accurate. In fact, my buddy (who is a Sig fanatic) was firing in lane next to me at the range with his Sig that he has owned for many years. He tried my PM7 and immediately closed up his groupings as compared to his Sig. Quite impressive! :)

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Mags:

As stated, sounds like a mag problem, I bought six of the MEC-GAR nickle 8 rounds mags and have had ZERO problems. Full 8 rd load, and after 3000 plus rounds in my Patriot and my other .45, I can say that they worked great.
I really think, and of course it is my opinion only, that the Wilson, Metaform, Chip McComick mags are just high priced "Toys" that some of you think you have to have.
I Paid $8 apiece for my MECGARS. Go ahead and pay $20 plus bucks for Wilsons ETC. I am sure they are good, but not worth the extra $$ you are paying.

All the best (with flame suit on)

Art

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Greg...

Good to hear that your PM is running like it should.

Art..."You pays your money and you takes your chances". ;)

·
Banned
230 Posts
Mec-Gar wouldn't be my first choice for a 1911 mag. They make great mags for other pistols though. Try Wilson and CM power mags. After all, you never want to "toy" with your life. :D

·
Registered
717 Posts
yup i will second that. I have a couple mec-gars. The followers are not spring steel like most and break real easy. I broke both of mine allready. Check out this link at CDNN if your looking for something reasonable. http://www.cdnninvestments.com/1945ac8rdsta3.html
Same Manufacture As Kimber and Chip McCormick with quality followers for 9.99 I think I am going to order 4 of these and give them a try.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Greg, Glad your failure to feed problems have been sorted out.
You can probably get more tips than can be stored for future reference, so I'll give you a couple more to add to what I gave you.

A tip from some writer was to number each magazine with a vibro-etch or some other permanent method. If problems are noted and can be tied down to some specific mag #, you can toss it in the can, send it to the manufacturer, or try to figure out what is wrong with it or give it to your worst friend.
With the Dan Wessons, I've begun to segregate the magazines used in the Razorbacks, from the ones I can use in the Colt Delta's...only because that is what I want to do. They are still numbered and treated per my earlier post.
I agree with an earlier post to this thread...if one is to bet his or her life on a pistol magazine, it has to have been proven to be 100% reliable, and ditto for the choice of ammunition.

No experimenting with a carry gun.

Max

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Mec-Gars

Just to clarify something. The Mec-Gars that you get from CDNN are NOT the same as the ones you get if you order a specific model number from other suppliers.

I got the MG- CG4508-PF-N.

I think the others are seconds or something. I have heard of people having problems with those also.

All the best,

Art

1 - 11 of 11 Posts