1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far, I've built three 1911 pistols. The first was "Patriot 82," a 5" '1911 I built during Dave Sample's on-line class. The other two are a Series 70/Caspian and a Hardslide/Caspian, which I've written about on other threads here. The neat thing (to me) about the second and third pistols is that I purposely used parts that were for the most part completely different from those I used in the on-line class, and again, I did that on purpose - I already knew that the choices Dave made for the on-line class would work - Dave had chosen them based on his 20+ years experience building Caspians. I chose other parts simply for the reason that I did NOT know how well they'd work together, and I hoped that by solving problems I'd learn more and add to what I had learned in the Patriot Class. I was correct!

With those three pistols all now completed except for the finishes, which are now being applied, I was up for another challenge, and one that would be something that would push me farther - that would probably make me pull my hair out, add to my boogered-parts box, and end up costing me money to have professional smiths fix what I'd done wrong. Well, my new project certainly should fit that bill!

The other day, I picked up a box full of brand new parts still in their wrappers. A friend had gathered the parts with the intention of building them into a pistol, but he had never found time to build into a pistol. He had since lost the urge to do so, and that allowed me to acquire the parts for a song. All that has been done so far is that he tried to fit the slide to the receiver, and it is a bit looser than I would have liked - probably about as loose/tight as a factory pistol. Everything else is NIB.

The new project will be built on a Les Baer receiver and long slide. And, what's more, the barrel is a ramped barrel. I have never built on Baer components. Also, I have fit two unramped, welded-up Colt barrels as practice and I have now fit three Kart EZ Fits. However, I have never fit a ramped barrel. The internals are all high-quality aftermarkets from multiple manufacturers, and I was glad to see that the GS was not a Wilson since I seem to have a mental block to fitting those easily.

So, anyway, I guess I'm starting another one of my long threads. At the outset, I'd appreciate any tips - even basic, bare-bones stuff, about concepts or practices that may be unique to building a longslide gun, fitting ramped barrels, and anything else you might want to throw out. Again, I have the basics of building 5" 1911s down to what I'd consider a "moderate" skill level, so what I'm looking for is information on what at the outset I need to do differently for a longslide, or for a ramped barrel. As for barrel fitting, as I said, I have fit a couple of welded-up Colt barrels before with good results, so I have the lug cutter. I also have a chamber reamer, but I'll need to pick up a bushing reamer. Will try to post photos of all the parts so y'all can see what I'm facing.

Am really looking forward to this next step in my education. And, in advance, thanks to all you guys for your help, both past and future!

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi Jon,
Unless that Baer frame is already cut for that ramped barrel, I would scrap that barrel right now and get a new one. Many many ramped barrels just never work reliably. I would hate to see you cut that frame for a ramped barrel only to regret it later when the gun won't run. Other than that I think you will find that this gun will go together much like others you have built.
Good luck and have fun.

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, Paladin. Thanks for the reply, sir. Yep, I'm okay on the ramp - the receiver is already cut for a ramped barrel. We only discussed the parts in the box briefly, but he mentioned (I think? Old brain) that the ramp is already set up to run as is with the frame, and that the only things I'll need to fit are what I'd need to fit on an unramped barrel - the upper and lower lugs, and the bushing.

Thanks for responding about longslide- or ramped-barrel issues that may be unique from non-ramped, 5"-gun issues. Just going over it briefly in my mind, and again with my limited knowledge at this point, it occurred to me that the down angle of the front of the barrel won't be as great when the slide's all the way back as it would be with a shorter-slide gun, but I don't see why that would be of any practical difference when it comes to puttin' her together.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
BigJon said:
Hi, Paladin. Thanks for the reply, sir. Yep, I'm okay on the ramp - the receiver is already cut for a ramped barrel. We only discussed the parts in the box briefly, but he mentioned (I think? Old brain) that the ramp is already set up to run as is with the frame, and that the only things I'll need to fit are what I'd need to fit on an unramped barrel - the upper and lower lugs, and the bushing.

Thanks for responding about longslide- or ramped-barrel issues that may be unique from non-ramped, 5"-gun issues. Just going over it briefly in my mind, and again with my limited knowledge at this point, it occurred to me that the down angle of the front of the barrel won't be as great when the slide's all the way back as it would be with a shorter-slide gun, but I don't see why that would be of any practical difference when it comes to puttin' her together.

Best,
Jon
I have never built a .45 with a ramped barrel, but have heard many warnings about this practice. Apparently, the ramp doesn't extend low enough to guarantee feeding with the .45 round. If you are determined to use a ramped barrel, go with a .40 or a 9/Super.

·
Premium Member
7,068 Posts
BJ knows a couple of guys that can help with that ramped barrel.
:)
A bit more expertise and work may be required, but a ramped barrel in 45acp can deliver perfect reliability.

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
pistolwrench said:
BJ knows a couple of guys that can help with that ramped barrel.
A bit more expertise and work may be required, but a ramped barrel in 45acp can deliver perfect reliability.
That's good to hear!....I just received my Caspian receiver with a "Wilson" ramp cut for 10mm and my next longslide "project"...

P.S. Can you recommend a good "tube?" I have one picked out but just don't feel sure yet

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm. Very interesting. Went through the box a little more closely, and it looks like this gun is destined to be a .45 super! Here’s a list . . .

Barrel – Baer .45 Super 6” ramped
Hammer – Wilson skeletonized ultralight
Sear – Nowlin
Disconnector – Ed Brown
Mag Catch – McCormick
Grip Safety – Baer
MSH - Ed Brown
Bushing – King’s target (full-gunsmith fit)
Slide Stop – Brown hardcore
Trigger – Baer short metal with OT-adjustment screw
Pins – Nowlin
Hammer Strut (Nowlin? Was in bag with pins)

The following parts are from “Ace Custom,” who appears to be the manufacturer of the .45 Super kit that’s part of the box . . . .

Extractror
Firing Pin Stop
Recoil System ( springs, guide rod and reverse plug)
Ejector
Magazine
Firing Pin and FP spring

There’s no link, but I have a Wilson pack to cannibalize from. Also, there’s no mainspring or plunger tube spring.

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, she's done - at least as "done" as I can get her at my current level of ability. I have most of the contouring done, but I still have a little finish contouring to do, and then it'll be off somewhere for prep and finish.

Best,
Jon

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Finally got around to gettin' some photos to stick up, so here they are. A local FFL friend has a great working relationship with the folks at Vicker's (edit: senior moment - meant Nighthawk), and he graciously offered to send the pistol off for to them for addition of the sights, finishing and to check my work to make sure I'd done it correctly. One thing I asked him to make sure they double checked was the ramped barrel, which was the first I'd ever fitted, and also correct an error I knew I'd made with the TS. The report was that aside from the TS, the work had been done properly. They also test fired it for me while it was there, and by gosh she does pretty well - be sure to check out the test-fire target and ammo used!

Best,
Jon

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
impressive as always Jon. That target on the other hand, hmmmm. :rock::rock::biglaugh:

edit: knew i would be back with a question. How did you go about flush cutting and countersinking the slidestop & hole. Is it a straight forward as it seems?

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
Very cool. :rock: Your fourth build? Wow, I have a long way to go...

Robert

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Very cool. :rock: Your fourth build? Wow, I have a long way to go...

Robert
Tell me about it haha! I am trying to get my second build going sometime soon i hope, although between school and work i am not sure if i will be able to start before december.

Ya know the funny thing here is that Jon consistently calls himself a novice. And if he is a novice, what are we? :bawling::biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
edit: knew i would be back with a question. How did you go about flush cutting and countersinking the slidestop & hole. Is it a straight forward as it seems?
Woops. Forgot to mention that, Danny. I didn't do that (I have before, but not on this gun). The Nighthawk folks did that while it was there. My bad - unitentional omission.

Very cool. :rock: Your fourth build? Wow, I have a long way to go...Robert
Yes, but realize that it was not a "no sweat" kind of thing. It presented issues I'd never dealt with before, so I sorta had to crawl my way along. And if you have a long way to go, all I can say is that we're in the same boat! (But dang, ain't it a fun boat?) ;)

Best,
Jon

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Woops. Forgot to mention that, Danny. I didn't do that (I have before, but not on this gun). The Nighthawk folks did that while it was there. My bad - unitentional omission.

Best,
Jon

Jon, Mind sharing or pointing me in the right direction on that? The best i can figure is cutting the slide stop down to slightly above the the surface of the frame, then using a small file to cut it down flush with the frame. Then using a standard countersink in a drill press (or even by hand maybe) to countersink the hole to the desired depth. Am i on the right track here or am I completely AWOL?

·
Premium Member
7,068 Posts
Jon,
That is a fine looking rod!
Who is the 'Vickers' you mentioned?
And how many rounds through that one hole?

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My pleasure, Danny. I may not have all the answers myself, but BOY do I have a great list of links to old guru threads. lol!

Best,
Jon

1 - 20 of 40 Posts