1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my new Protector Compact today and couldn't find an allen wrench in the bag. Since Wilson suggests 3-500 rounds for break-in I figured no problem I'll just call tomorrow and have them send one. Went to the range and fired about 50 hydro-shocks and 25 or so FMJs. Shoots like a dream. Came home and read the manual again. After unloading I checked the front of the guide rod and no allen wrench socket!? The front of the guide rod easily unscrewed with hand pressure only. So what's up? Was I given wrong info on field stripping? Is this a no tools required procedure? Should the guide rod (obviously 2 piece) unscrew so easily or do I have a defective guide rod? I'll call Wilson in the morning but this is going to keep me up tonight! My eyes aren't what they used to be but I do not see an allen socket unless it has been stripped round during assembly. But I doubt it! As I said, gun shoots like a dream. Fit and finish is amazing, and POA=POI at 15 yards.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Larry

The fact that the guide rod unscrewed with finger pressure is not much of an issue as long as it does not back out when you are shooting. The real question that needs to be answered is, "Is your guide rod supposed to be cut for an allen head wrench?" Being a two piece rod I would expect that it is. From your post it seems there is a round hole in the end. Is this correct?

I suggest you call Wilson and ask them if the guide rod is supposed to have an allen socket at the end or a round hole. If there is supposed to be an allen socket, I expect they will offer to send you and new part.

------------------
Str8_Shot

The best handgun for self defense, is the one you have with you.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Larry,

FWIW, my guide rod end _looks_ round, but it snuggles up to the hex facets of an allen wrench just fine. Grab a set of wrenches from Sears and give it a try.

Of course the function of the full length guide rod is to make the pistol harder to field strip, thus averting the phenomenon of wear and tear due to over cleaning.

Grinch

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking under a magifying glass, it look like a pentagon slot, still not like a normal allen head. I'll have to call Wilson and see what's up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeez!!! Getting old "46" really sucks!!! Three of us were looking at the dinky hole inside the giide rod without realizing the guide rod has a rather large 3/16 allen socket on the inside! One of us is only in his late 30s and he didn't see it either! Wilson is sending me another guide rod and allen wrench. But nothing is wrong with mine. If the wrench was in the bag I wouldn't have gone through all this so I don't feel too stupid. But the picture of 3 grown men looking through jewlers lamps and magnifying glasses will be one of those chuckles I can tell at the Thursday night shoots!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts