1911Forum banner

New ramped SA chokes on FMJ???

1202 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  gyp_c
My new full-sized lightweight SA with a ramped barrel is choking 30%+ of the time with FMJ.

The rounds are hitting the ramp, stopping the slide. NO..the rim is NOT fully under the extractor yet. A bump on the rear of the slide causes the round to chamber.

WHAT should I check FIRST, BEFORE I go polishing and replacing things?

BTW...the mags were a mix of Wilson and Shooting Star. It didn't seem to matter WHICH mag was being used.

TIA
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,524 Posts
Shooter

Before you condemn your pistol or send it back to Springfield, it could be possible that your pistol just needs to wear in. In your post you did not mention how many rounds you have fired through it at this point. So give the following a try before doing anything else.

First make sure you magazines are clean. Read your owner's manual and clean the magazines to ensure the feed lips and followers are clean.

Next, assuming your pistol is now clean, the next time you go to the range do the following before you load it at your next practice session. Lock the slide back and place one-drop of Hoppes #9 (or any good old fashioned )Gun Oil, where the bevel at the front of the slide meets the dust cover of the frame. Let the oil settle back into the frame for a couple of seconds. Then flip the pistol over and place one drop of oil on the slide rails on each side of the pistol. Let the oil drain into the frame for a couple of seconds, cycle the slide a few times, then close the slide. Next put one drop of oil on the barrel at the front edge of ejection port. Now shoot your pistol as you would normally for any practice session, with the exception that you should repeat the above process every 100 rounds for 500 rounds, and do not clean your pistol during this time. I also recommend that you use Federal American Eagle, PMC, Sellier & Belliot, or any other ammo that generates a LOT of powder residue.

The reason for the oil and ammo selection is the oil and powder residue will combine to make a very mild buffing compound. By doing this the pistol will smooth any rough spots in the slide and frame rails plus the barrel lock up with out going overboard.

I hope this helps.

------------------
Str8_Shot

The best handgun for self defense, is the one you have with you.

· Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys. I'm not new to 1911s, and this isn't the first time that a NIB Springfield has choked on me from the 'get go'. My 2nd SA, a stainless full-sized, ended up having to have a new slide fitted. Seems the one that came on it was 'warped', according to SA.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.