1911Forum banner
21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Administrator
79,846 Posts
Well I have to agree... hitting a target at that distance may be impressive, but decidedly less so after learning it took them 69 shots to make it. Hell, if I set up a target placed at 400 yards and finally hit it after 69 shots with my .357 revolver I'm not really sure I'd brag about it.

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
400 yards with a 357 is very doable. hitting at 4 miles with a firearm is astounding. the number of variables are probably impossible to quantify. this IS the cutting edge. a few years ago hitting at a mile was pretty rare. when you spread any statistic measure from a fixed point to 4.4 miles the numbers are huge. firing a large number of shots to get the first one would not be out of line. the question is can you do it again? after trying to do this once you will learn a whole bunch, and when you try the next day things will be quite different. a reasonably easy problem to understand is how many different wind directions did the bullet encounter in its nearly 30 second flight. how many different air densities. this team will, if they continue, find out ways to make shooting at shorter distances easier. hunt up some of the long-range vid's on youtube, or better yet, try it yourself.

Reactions: tonytoshiba

·
Registered
756 Posts
Well I have to agree... hitting a target at that distance may be impressive, but decidedly less so after learning it took them 69 shots to make it. Hell, if I set up a target placed at 400 yards and finally hit it after 69 shots with my .357 revolver I'm not really sure I'd brag about it.
Heck, I can’t even find any .357 ammo.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I may be new at shooting, and have never shot a rifle far, or what experienced shooters would consider far, but despite lack of experience to weigh in on this i still am impressed that someone could hit something at all at 4 miles. Maybe that's just cause I'm new but it still sounds impressive even considering the 69 tries. 60-some tries sounds like a lot but consider the fact that this could even be done, at all, even after 100 tries, impresses me. Obviously it would be more impressive with fewer tries, but to even do it at all... For reference, four miles was the distance between my old house and the next town, they could literally have been shooting a target in another zip code.

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
you may be new, but you get it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
If it's an offhand shot with your lcp, sure. But if it's a team that spent thousand of hours and dollars to get one hit out of 69 tries, hell no. At least shoot a three shot group if your trying to impress us!
Even a blind squirrel eventually finds a nut with all his buddies helping him. It is impressive to hit a target at that distance, but it shouldn't stand as a record unless it can be repeated........and not after 69 more tries. I'd agree with the three-shot group, or even 5 hits of 10 tries at the same sitting.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
I worked with an officer on the border who was quite handy with a handgun (pun intended). Kelly was the one guy you’d want on your side in a shoot out. He spent a lot of his off-duty time on the range. He used 9” paper plates for his targets. He would usually end his range sessions by shooting at a paper plate at 100 yards with his 5 shot Taurus .38 Special Snubnose; consistently hitting the target.

I was there one day with my ParaOrd Warthog .45; withheld calling my shots I was able to put 6 of 10 rounds within the 9” paper plate at 100 yards. I’d say at the time I was an above average shooter; it wasn’t magic; it just required a good spotter and the ability to follow their guidance. If I could do it so could a lot of others; it’s amazing what a gun is capable of doing.

·
Registered
14,745 Posts
I actually think that it probably IS quite an accomplishment.

I say this because it took a team of guys ---- at a long-range shooting school---------- with a specially modified gun------ to do it.

So, I think there probably is something to this. Not just luck & wasting ammo.

·
Administrator
79,846 Posts
I still won't be impressed until a bullet circumvents the globe and hits the shooter in the back of the head. ;)

·
Registered
12,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
but it shouldn't stand as a record unless it can be repeated........and not after 69 more tries. I'd agree with the three-shot group, or even 5 hits of 10 tries at the same sitting.
But if it's a team that spent thousand of hours and dollars to get one hit out of 69 tries, hell no
You guys…..think about it. It’s not like lobbing a 240 grainer out of a Henry at 200 yards.
The old record took as many tries as well. If you consider the “landing zone”, I’m sure it was peppered with near misses. Just dealing with atmospherics for a four mile flight is an art unto itself. And to try and hit a target the size of a shower curtain is just absurd. But they did it. I remain impressed.

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
ok, here is your math quiz: 7744 yards. with 1/4 minute adjustments, how far does that 1/4 minute cover?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I would be more impressed if he could repeat it ! Otherwise it’s just a lucky shot.

I would expect that once they’ve done it that it would become easier to repeat (?) once they’ve found the formula. Kinda like the first time I shot out to 100yds, seemed an impossible task the first time but now not as much, but still great fun to do.

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
It is a feat of engineering and probabilities and marksmanship but it is sort of a lab experiment not grounded in reality. I'd say what impresses me is a combat confirmed kill with an SVD at 1300 yards or the one at 3500 yards with 50 cal.

21 - 40 of 94 Posts