1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys,
was surfing around on the web for info on a gunand ran across this great site! maybe one of the "Brains" here might help me.

recently i had a friend of mine come by with an old ragged piece of wax paper ( im a gun freak and hes not so he brought it to me and gave it to me) inside this discussting old wrap was an virtually BRAND NEW UNFIRED ( im assuming as there is no wear in the usual spots that show wear like on the breechface , no scratches on the barrel top, no copper/lead AT ALL in the barrel, no scratches AT ALL inside the barrel bushing, no magazine well wear, NO WEAR OR FINISH SCRATCHES AT ALL ANYWERE. Looks as it would if the gun was recently puirchased and the box JUST opened for the first time)
Remington Rand National Match rework. it was gooped up pretty good with that old blackish (i call it axle grease) cosmoline ( or whatever it is) they used on old military weapons ( or maybe it just turnes like this with age)

anyway, i broke the gun down to the last screw and cleaned it in the sink with a toothbrush and dishsoap, rinsed in hot water and dried, then reoiled and reassembled. this has got to be the most gorgeous old 1911 i have EVER seen. the parkerizing and finish are 100% with NO WEAR.every part of the gun ( barrel, bushing,slide, magazines ( of which there is 3), everything is serialized to the frame of the gun) in trying to do some research i found that there were only a little over 3000 made of these NM reworks in 1962 ( when another 1911 guy told me it was reworked) and only a little over 700 of these were sold to civilians. i can tell you that the guy i got it froms father was a us army officer and a member of the us army shooting team in 1062 ( from what he told me) and after he passed away, my friend had found this in a drawer in a cabinet in his garage in a old water damaged military cardboard gunbox ( melted beyond recognition). we were wondering if anyone here might have anymore information on these reworks ( the info on the web is spotty at best, and we cant find any for sale, maybe pretty rare item?) and if anyone might know a collector who would be interested in the gun. personally, if it had been my fathers, i would keep it for sentimental value, but he is ( my bud) looking to sell this thing or trade it off for a nickel plated colt/springfield 1911 in .38 super/.45. anyway, anyone with any info, ect can contact me at [email protected] or can call me at 530-680-0798 . I took around 40 pix of the gun when i broke it down for cleaning, so if someone wants more pix please e mail me.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Nice pistol.
I suggest that you contact Ty Moore. He is the Remington Rand expert.
He has a web site. Search for it.
My guess is that the gun is worth more than you might think.
The Remington Rands in excellent condition go for about $1,200. I don't know how the NM will affect the price.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
As per my response to your email yesterday check out my NM pages, looks like a nice gun. Ernest is right regarding value. Match guns are a nitch market not as many collectors as a pure USGI pistol. Here is the link to my NM info http://coolgunsite.com/collectors_guide.htm#National Match Pistols (Springfield Armory 1955-1965)

Cheers,
Ty

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i apreciate it. his sites were i got my intitial information. i can kinda see my buddies point as wanting to swap it ect as personally, ive never been much into collecting. i like to be able to take my guns out and shoot them. to me any collector gun is something that a person would take and put away. personally, i think shooting a collector gun would detract from the value with every shot, and i can STAND to have a gun i cant take out and shoot if you know what i mean. i did some work for an old lady ( PI work) one time and she gave me a brand new weatherby athena O/U as payment ( unfired). it had belonged to he late husband who had never fired it. whe i got home and examined the gun closely, the serial number on the gun was 0010. i was jacked till i found that out. needless to say i sold the gun for about 3X what it cost new to a collector. all of this is kinda "off subject" hehe.

im glad to hear the value you stated. i would figure that since there were not too many of these made in a specific year, and since they were reworked from USGI assorted pistols that there were substantially LESS made from Remington Rand's, with even LESS of them getting out into the real world. aslo, from what i understand these things were sent back yearly if they needed it or not for refurbishing, so to have one with the origional rework would most likely be even rarer....

i dont know much about value, but im thinking that if its a Remington Rand in virtually NEW condidion, and on top of that a National Match rework, it would possibly be in the area of around $1400.00 to $1600.00 bucks?...maybe more?.......i think a person could find a new or near new nickel plated 1911 in .38 super or .45 acp for about half that.

thanks for the reply, ill be checking back in here often for anymore info anyone can add.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Its a NM gun, its been shot and after the match was sold, they dont see much time in a holster thus is truly why it looks new. Some the NMs have been refinsihed 2-3 times.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Cheers, Ty

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. I just acquired the bug for a WWII so if my questions are mundane please bear with me. Is the value of the above referenced pistol detracted because it was reworked?
Thanks
John

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
No all the NM pistols are built out of WWII pistols. There is less of a market for NM pistols then for WWII USGI firearms in the original configuration.

The NMs were rebuilt for comp use in the 50s and 60s.

You can also get max money when you have the mags and paperwork.

If you have a WWII itch, then a NM would not be the correct twig to scratch it with as they are built post WWII.

Regards,
Ty

·
Registered
989 Posts
You hear stories about the "legendary accuracy and reliability" of the National Match 1911's, yeah, I read a lot of Web Griffin, and I'd ge a real kick out of one someday, particularly one that had been shot already. Not right now though, I have a truck to pay off and another Garand in the making.

·
Registered
107 Posts
have one too

Both my brother and I have national match G.I. pistols like described in this thread- my bro's a 1962 springfiled armory re-work also on rem rand and mine is a 1967 rock island(pistol building operation transfered to RIA after SA closed)With my pistol came the original manual wihich was like a sale ad fro the 1967 camp perry national matches-it describes and shows in pictures and drawings what mods were doen acceptance standards etc. these were esentially like a les baer 3" guarantee gun of the 1960's- and both ours were picked up used and we have continued to use in bullseye matches with good effect. mine is now after 20 years in my hands and probably 20000+ rounds is getting loose- rather than destroy any value I got a 1991 to get built into a new match gun and will retire the rock island

1 - 18 of 18 Posts