1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of the new production Sries 70s? How do they compare to the originals. Thinking about getting one or two so any inout would be appreciated. TIA.

·
Administrator
74,665 Posts
I hate 'em. I can't stop buying them (have three already) and it's really starting to hurt my wallet. :(

For a review of these pistols, look here:

http://usgi1911.tripod.com/series70/

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
You wont regret getting one, they're great looking and great shootin'.:) I don't know what kind of prices you have seen but my blue one was $830.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
dpcdivr said:
Honest opinion? Nice guns, but over-priced. It's that simple.
Probably true, but I thank my lucky stars I was able to get my hands on one.

Marketeers would call that "Value-Based Pricing." Works for me.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Yep, I think they are a little high, but I am not selling mine.

·
Administrator
74,665 Posts
One thing about price. When I find something I like and want to keep it, the price I paid is soon forgotten. When I get a good deal on something, how much I paid is rarely considered if later I end up not using it or don't like it.

Just food for thought.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
dpcdivr said:
Honest opinion? Nice guns, but over-priced. It's that simple.
OK, we're being honest. Sell me an equivelant at a better price. I'm all ears (honest, I have big ears)....Sam

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
Sam:
Come visit the shop, and we'll talk. I know better than to get into a Ford vs. Chevy debate here on the Colt forum. ;) I stand firmly by my opinion, though I definitely can understand why the Colt die-hards really like the new '70, expensive or not. When something's what you fancy, price indeed becomes secondary. No problem at all with that. Just hope Colt gets to the point financially where some of their product line can be priced more competitively. Then, everyone will win. BTW, Dana, I understand your point, but only up to a point. Want to buy some $100 D.E. grips? ;)

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
dpcdvr
I'm afraid your shop is a bit of a drive for me, but rest assured, I will be watching. Colt does not have my business simply because they are Colt. They have it because they are really making an effort and "right now" I don't see anything better out there. If you are American made and make the best product, I'm your customer, bottom line.
Dpcdvr, I hope you and yours have a great New Year, that goes to everyone on the 1911 forum. Happy New years everyone....Sam

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Oh, I almost forgot Dpcdvr. I'm not really into 10mm, but those grips you make , make me want to buy one :)....Sam

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
Nah, don't buy a D.E. just because of the grips (thanks for the compliment, though). Try one out sometime, and I think you'll see what all the excitement is about. Pretty darn good gun, overall.

·
Administrator
74,665 Posts
dpcdivr said:
BTW, Dana, I understand your point, but only up to a point. Want to buy some $100 D.E. grips? ;)
No, but I have known people to shell out $150 or more for a set of original WW1 Colt 1911 grips before! :eek:

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
dpcdivr said:
Just hope Colt gets to the point financially where some of their product line can be priced more competitively. Then, everyone will win.
Well, the 01991 series are cheaper than basic Kimber models and better made than SA Milspec models, and made of better materials than either. :D

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
dpcdivr said:
Just hope Colt gets to the point financially where some of their product line can be priced more competitively.
Some of their product line is more than competitively priced: in my view, nothing can touch the Colt NRM 1991 in polished blue or stainless at their prices or even more. They're selling for around, what $550 for blue and $625 or so for stainless? They're more than worth every penny of that and there isn't another 1911 I'd have at that price, or even for more money. And yes, I have several Springfields, several Kimber Series 1 guns, and an Ed Brown Class A Commander... they are nice.... but they're not Colts. I've got over a dozen recent manufacture Colts and they are my personal favorites for a variety of reasons.

I don't like to pay any more than I have to for anything I buy, but I'm willing to pony up what Colt asks for their guns because, frankly, nothing else is a Colt and Colts are what I prefer. And like dsk said, after you pay for a gun and then live with it, the price you paid is soon forgotten, but you never forget how much you love that gun!

Series 70 re-issues are priced higher than they probably should be for what they cost to make (vs. a NRM 1991), but then again, nothing else is a Colt 1911 Series 70 and if that's what you want to have... that's what you get.

Also, none of the competitive brands anywhere near the price offer the superior metallurgy that Colt offers:

FORGED:
•Slide
•Receiver
•Barrel
•Slide Stop

MACHINED FROM BAR STOCK:
•Hammer
•all pins
•bbl Link
•bbl Bushing
•Trigger ( not sure if he means all of it )
•Ejector
•Firing Pin
•Firing Pin Stop
•Extractor

CAST:
•Safety Lock
•Grip Safety

MIM:
•Sear
•Mag Catch
•Disconector

If you want an MIM free 1911, there are three small parts to replace... that's it! And the Colt Series 70 has no unnecessary safety mechanisms added to Browning's design... which makes for elegant simplicity in breakdown, reassembly, and most importantly, function. Lastly, the Colt is ALL American manufactured, fitted, and assembled.

Colt Series 70 Re-issue (Casull trigger & Smooth Walnut Grips)

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
DHart said:
Some of their product line is more than competitively priced: in my view, nothing can touch the Colt NRM 1991 in polished blue or stainless at their prices or even more.
I agree that the NRM pricing is competitive. These aren't the models I was speaking of. I was speaking more about models such as the "new" Series 70's and the Gunsite.

The folks at Colt should be very proud of the undying loyalty toward the Colt brand by many on this forum. I am the first to admit that I do not fall into this camp, though I probably own more Colts than many on this forum. I try very hard to appreciate them for the performance they offer as machines, and for their value to me and my customer. I mean this as no offense, but frankly, I don't give a rat's patoot about rollmarks. I care about performance and value. And, IMO, there simply are better values out there than the models I mention above. Again, I do NOT mean to be "in the face" of those of you who are Colt die-hards. Just please understand that there are those around here who don't quite feel the same as you do, but whose thoughts and opinions also have merit.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Your criticism of the Series 70 guns is sort of silly, when you consider that they are limited-production "reproductions" marketed specifically to the Colt die-hards. If you aren't a Colt die-hard and don't like them and their cost... who cares? People like you weren't expected to buy them anyway.

It would be more fair to criticize Colt for not selling anything that can seriously compete with a SA "Loaded," Kimber Custom, or Dan Wesson Patriot in terms of external features (if not in objective quality & performance). Such a product flat-out does not exist in Colt's catalog now that the XS has been "Enhanced" (read: degraded) to the XSE.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts