1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok got to the range tonight I took 50 factory rounds of American eagle (federal) 180gr FMJ-TC and 50 rounds of my favorite 10mm reload which is also 180gr plated bullet and I also threw in a 20 round pack of Hornady 200gr critical duty hollow points self defense load.

The GOOD:
OMG this rock can shoot it's damn near as accurate as my Colt Delta Elite check out the targets below all shot at 10 yards after I got a feel for the sights for POI as they left the factory I DID not adjust them.

America Eagle factory FMJ 180gr Not bad

7 round group :) My Plated 180gr reloads BETTER YET

The rest of my 50 reloads damn near shot out the center of the target ;)

as you can see from the targets this gun can shoot.

More good for those that read my threads in the RIA forum I FIXED the grip safety with a detail strip it was just rubbing up against the trigger bow and I filed and stoned it down its working OK now, no longer sticks. :rock:

The Bad:
OK now some bad I could not get this gun to load a round with a full mag the first round out of the mag would nose dive into the feed ramp and I had the two factory mec-gar and a wilson all do the same thing. Take a round out with 7 in the mag and it ran OK. Not to worried about that my Rock Tac in 9mm did the same dang thing when new till I polished the feed ramp JUST SLIGHTY. I also wonder if the gun is a tad UNDER SPRUNG going to talk to NV about that. OK and a little Ugly I did not have any FTE issues, but it did put some minor brass markings at the top of the ejection port. I suspect the ejector needs tweaked. Towards the end of the 100 rounds I had a few of my reloads FTF I suspect this rock may have a tad tight chamber and I may have to adjust my loads for its chamber. I had no feed issues with the factory stuff or the Hornady hollow points. I did have three premature slide locks I think two happened with the wilson mag and once with one of the factory mags.

So is the Rock 10mm Perfect nope, but neither was my Rock tac in 9mm and I got it to run good hopefully I can do the same here. Best part I know its accurate so I'll keep it right now and I know Armscor backs up their guns. I'll post a follow up range report maybe this weekend after I tweak the gun some more.

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
Nice...now if they get on board and put a decent magwell on it I might have to get one. Really nice to see them expanding their line though and amazing to see how much they've grown since I bought my first RIA GI half a decade ago.

What's your recipe on the reloads? Seems like they group nicely? Bullets? Powder?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nice...now if they get on board and put a decent magwell on it I might have to get one. Really nice to see them expanding their line though and amazing to see how much they've grown since I bought my first RIA GI half a decade ago.

What's your recipe on the reloads? Seems like they group nicely? Bullets? Powder?
Berrys 180gr plated FP bullet
WSF 6.5gr
Federal or Starline brass
Winchester LG primer

This also shoots well in my Colt Delta Elite it's not a full power load but's its snappy and shoots little knots ;)

Well its RIA's first 10mm its not perfect as you can see from the review, but it's a good start. The dang gun is accurate no doubt. I am going to tweak the gun some more and hopefully I'll post another report. The biggest issue right now is I can't load a full mag with out the first round nose diving into the feed ramp, if I load 7 rounds into the mag it runs pretty smooth, and the minor brass marks on top of the ejection port. I think the gun may be under sprung I am going to call NV and see just what pound spring they put in this gun?

Agree the clip on mag well is worthless with the factory mags and will only really work with mags that have and extended pad. I had a Wilson 10mm with me, and it wokored ok with that clip on mag well. The plastic MSH is the first part I'll change out. ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Same here with my Kimber on the plastic MSH. Your gun can shoot man. Good luck on getting the tweaks done to get her running 100%.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Ramped barrel or does it leave the cartridge unsupported like older Deltas?

Was interested in using this as a hunting sidearm and wanted to know if it could handle some of the hotter 10mm loads.

Also, can you use regular 45 ACP mags, or is it picky for 10mm only?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Bowhunter, any chance you could show a pic or two of the frame and barrel? Thanks in advance, either way.
Yea but be more specific do you want it field stripped or just the chamber area?

Yes Olympus is correct its ramped and supported barrel biggest issue I see right now with heavy loads is the gun seems under sprung from the factory. I emailed them about this Friday and Gene from Armscor is sending me a new Wolff recoil spring to try.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts