1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a new 2011 .45 and I am very please with this gun but I have one problem that I am looking for so help with. I have seen that people have found holsters for a 1911 with a full rail on them. My problem is that I'm a bigger guy with a "muffin top" and I'm looking for a owb holster that hangs lower so the gun and holster aren't digging into my side. Has any one ran into this or know of a good holster that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Congrats on your new RIA. I am sure some of the resident experts will come along to answer your questions regarding the holstersetup. Good luck with it!!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
not sure what holster to use for 2011.
I've been in search of one for a while.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You could always go drop leg holster. I loved the one they issued me in the military. Makes for a pain in the butt if you have a large center console (was really tight in my police car) but you get used to it quick.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I've got a new 2011 .45 and I am very please with this gun but I have one problem that I am looking for so help with. I have seen that people have found holsters for a 1911 with a full rail on them. My problem is that I'm a bigger guy with a "muffin top" and I'm looking for a owb holster that hangs lower so the gun and holster aren't digging into my side. Has any one ran into this or know of a good holster that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
So you are Not looking for a CCW holster?:confused:

·
Registered
7,459 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Drop-leg or adjustable Kydex was my first thought also. Just be advised that Kydex and other polymers used in holsters does NOT play well with Parkerized finishes!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
BlackHawk Serpa or any of the plastic holsters with the adjustable paddle.

http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/holsters,16.htm
Their 1911 holster does NOT work with RIA well(trigger guard shape differs from most 1911), and definatly don't work with 2011(they do NOT support full rail. They support half rail, however)
Single stack 2011 .45 acp standard.

OK,
1-which one doesn't work well?.....the Serpa or "any of the plastic holsters with the adjustable paddle."
2-"Single stack 2011 .45 acp standard.".....does this particular model HAVE or HAVE NOT a rail?:confused:

.......but not to be too much of a smart a$$ :D, I understand what you're saying. My SA Longslide AND SA V-10, BOTH do not fit well in my several plastic holsters. All my Colt's fit fine, but SA seems to be a mm or 2 wider than a Colt.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
OK,
1-which one doesn't work well?.....the Serpa or "any of the plastic holsters with the adjustable paddle."
2-"Single stack 2011 .45 acp standard.".....does this particular model HAVE or HAVE NOT a rail?:confused:

.......but not to be too much of a smart a$$ :D, I understand what you're saying. My SA Longslide AND SA V-10, BOTH do not fit well in my several plastic holsters. All my Colt's fit fine, but SA seems to be a mm or 2 wider than a Colt.
From my experience, none of Surpa retention type holster for 1911 works with RIA 1911(Or 2011), because RIA's trigger guard is tiny bit wider than the most(I don't have micrometer to tell you how much, but it is).
It does fit. But its very tight. And you have to push it in for the gun to lock in the place.
Surpa does not make 1911 holster(Molded plastic ones, not sure about the others) to accommodate any full rail 1911 at all. You look at Surpa for 1911, its pretty obvious.

And "Single stack 2011 .45 acp standard." IS full railed model(like TRP Operator).
I know most people think of 2011 as something else.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
And "Single stack 2011 .45 acp standard." IS full railed model(like TRP Operator).
I know most people think of 2011 as something else.

Yup, 2011 guns are double stacks......mostly associated with STI.

Thank you for the clarification.

4 or more months ago, I had NO idea about anything RIA, but several threads about 10mm's and VERY positive reviews have me looking at them a lot more seriously.....to the extent, that with the ignition internals problems that I've yet to completely sort out, I'm contemplating selling my Delta Elite to purchase a RIA 10mm. I've actually taken it to 1 lgs, but they only want to give me $600-$700 for it, and I'm holding out for $900+.

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
The RIA 2011 is called a 2011 as that is the year that Martin added a rail to some of his 1911's!!

Wvdieseltech, here is my DeSantis holster for my RIA 2011 Tactical.

This is the model # 002TAF9Z0

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
The RIA 2011 is called a 2011 as that is the year that Martin added a rail to some of his 1911's!!

Wvdieseltech, here is my DeSantis holster for my RIA 2011 Tactical.

This is the model # 002TAF9Z0

Man that's purty.......I gotta get somebody to buy my Delta.

·
Registered
119 Posts
@Mity2 , Have you tried to put any of your RIA's in a Serpa ? I ask because both my RIA GI and my New little CS fit perfectly . You do realize the little screw on the side of the holster is your retention screw , simply drawing it in tightens and out loosens . I dunno , mine works . As Old Eagle ears said the plastic don't play well with the park finish .

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
@Mity2 , Have you tried to put any of your RIA's in a Serpa ? I ask because both my RIA GI and my New little CS fit perfectly . You do realize the little screw on the side of the holster is your retention screw , simply drawing it in tightens and out loosens . I dunno , mine works . As Old Eagle ears said the plastic don't play well with the park finish .
Yes, and none of my newer RIA fits(it fits, but really tight even with screw turned lose).

My wife's RIA - older 9mm tact with standard shaped trigger guard fits fine.
I have to assume that since only thing different is trigger guard, that has to be the reason(I assume trigger guard shape and width was changed some time between 2009 and 2013)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts