1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys. Just picked it up today. I am new to the 1911 style and have a question or two. I put the magizine in (unloaded of course) I pull back the slide. It locks. Then I press the slide release as if to chamber a round. The slide stays locked back. I drop the magazine, push the slide release, and the slide shoots forward. Why is the slide not releasing with the magazine in?

Also, is there a good site that has a video of someone breaking down the 1911 so I can clean it thoroughly? Still covered in oil from being brand new.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
it is designed that if there is an EMPTY mag in to lock the slide back. you didnt mention if the mag was loaded or not.

strangely enough mine doesnt lock the slide back even with an empty mag, but im not worried about it at this point.

if you have a round in the mag, you should be able to pull the slide to the rear to release the slide. if the mag is empty it should just lock open again. the best thing to do is not drop the slide with an empty magazine.

good luck to ya

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. Figured it out. Took it apart, cleaned it, was a PITA to put back together. I like the pistol. I am just concerned. This was to be my concealed carry weapon. Just afraid it will be to heavy to wear all day down here in the Texas heat. I guess we will just have to wait and see. I will take it to the range on Saturday and see how she does.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
im planning on wearing mine in the oklahoma heat this summer.. lol.. we get pretty warm and humid around here too!

i am using the crossbreed holster i bought for my fullsize. its IWB and with a good belt it should work well with a pair of shorts and a long shirt over it.

i bought some blk/silver kimber ( doesnt say kimber anywhere on them!) double diamond wood checkered grips for it today. it really changed the look of the gun. i also bought a 7 round stainless mag w/out the plastic bottom to carry in it.

so far this little pistol seems to be of good quality.

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Russel are the grips full size or commander or officer? I looking at new grips but unsure of what size. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Yeah, grips are Officers size. Don't worry about carrying your Compact, with the right belt & holster, it'll soon become your best friend and you'll feel nekkid without it. They're not that heavy, the key is having the right kind of belt for good support. I use a Beltster, FWIW. Super heavy-duty 1.75" belt with a holster built in. Perfect for me. http://www.banderagunleather.com/

If you have a crappy belt, then even carrying an airsoft pistol will be uncomfortable. The belt is the key.

Oh, BTW, you mentioned the slide locking....Yes, it will lock back with an empty magazine installed, but when you push down the slide release it SHOULD slam forward even with an empty mag. If it doesn't, you should investigate further.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Oh and mine as well will not drop the slide with the empty Novak mag..

It will with the Chip McCormick Shooting star I have for it.

I think once the mag spring wears in a little it will be fine..

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just made my Novak do it but it took both hands..
I still think after the spring breaks in it will be fine.
I will leave it loaded for a day or two and see...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Made it to the range today. I must say I LIKE THIS PISTOL.:rock: The recoil was a little stout at first since I am use to my Bersa .380. But after the first few rounds I was good to go. I am way more accurate with this than I am with the Bersa. I shot the X out of the target. I had 3 fail to feeds in the 50 rounds I shot. Just the slide did not go completely into battery, but I just drop the mag, racked the slide and went back to shooting. Got home, cleaned and lubed it, ready to go back to the range this weekend.

·
Registered
496 Posts
The officer grips I won on ebay came in today and fit perfectly with the supplied screws and bushings..

Nice grips! I like that half checkered look. What do you have on your frontstap?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just picked up the RIA Compact yesterday from my dealer that I ordered from sarco. It looks be a nice gun. I did notice the feed ramp to be really rough so I polished it up with a felt bob and polishing compound. I also cycled some rounds through it and had a couple of times to where the round was not extracted. Come to find out the extractor tension was extremely tight and the rounds were not able to slide up past the extractor hook and were shoved into the barrel by the slide itself. I removed the extractor , adjusted the tension , and tried it again. This time it cycled a lot smoother and all rounds were extracted. All I need to do now is get to the range and try it out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
RIA Compact

Went to the range this morning and went through about 150 rounds through my RIA compact without a hitch. The gun was very accurate despite the GI sites which were almost impossible to use but I managed. I have bought a new set of 3-dot mil spec. sights from Fusion which I'll have put on next week. The one and only problem I had which really wasn't associated with the gun itself , was a Pro Mag clip that I bought from Midway. This thing had the first round take a nose dive into the feed ramp . I then removed the clip and removed a round and all of the rest of the rounds began to fall out of the clip. The spring was stuck at the bottom of the clip and would not spring up. I finally gave up on it and threw it back in the bag. Later I pulled it apart and the thing was very oiley inside with a lot of grit stuck to it. I cleaned it , polished the spring , and lightly sprayed some silicone spray inside. This seemed to have fixed the problem but I won't know till I get back to the range.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts