1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got my order from Monica Kuehn Leather today. Awesome work. Got a Belt, Mag carrier and IWB holster for commander length. I needed a brown belt and decided to give this one a shot. Its 1.5inches, and the same thickness as my Beltman, but doesnt seem as firm/stiff. Only time will tell, but Im sure it will be a great belt.

Whole Rig

The detail and boning work on this holster is amazing.:rock: I dont have a Milt Sparks to compare to, but photogenically, its very close. It hugs tight to the body, the cant might be a little more than my C5 Iron Side, but it carries the CBOB and CCO great!:rock:

Here it is with my Kramer MSP Paddle. The Paddle is great for under jacket wear. It's on and off quickly and keeps it in tighter than any other paddle I've had. I bought it used, and when I put the CBOB in it, it would slide right out if turned upside down.:eek: I sent it back to Kramer and they tightened it up. Cost me extra money over used cost, but still less than new.

I'll get this Kuehn broken in, and after the short time with it so far, will probably order one for my other carry guns.

PS - the wait time was rediculously short. But dont go order all at once, I dont want to wait 2 months for the next one.:biglaugh:

Sorry about the pics, its a new camera, I need a light box or DSLR.

·
Registered
664 Posts
JD,
Great Leather!!
Bring that CCO down to Stockton IDPA next month.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!

·
Banned
4,761 Posts
GREAT lookin' rig JD, nice conservative look and the stiching looks good too. That's the second recommendation for Monicas holsters this week. Give us a follow up report once she's broken in.

·
Registered
152 Posts
JD, that is really fine looking and looks to be a very well put together rig. I've not heard of Monica Kuehn, but I'm going to look into it. I've been using a Yaqui slide and sometimes want something a bit more substancial. Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually just checked her site. The most recent post says she is not accepting new orders due to a motorcycle accident:eek::bawling: Ive sent her an email letting her know how happy I am with my rig, and to check if this is current and true.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JD, that is really fine looking and looks to be a very well put together rig. I've not heard of Monica Kuehn, but I'm going to look into it. I've been using a Yaqui slide and sometimes want something a bit more substancial. Thanks for the post!
I recommend C5 and Monica right now, both my holsters from them are great. Ive had a TT gunleather, and it was very nice also, but has a very long wait.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks for the update. I just saw that she was injured and not able to take any orders. I did look over her work and it appears high quality and very affordable. Let us know how you like it and perhaps by the time you get a good work out on the new rig, Ms. Kuehn will be accepting orders. I liked the look the of the 1911 Commander HRP. I hope she heals well soon, holsters not withstanding.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the update. I just saw that she was injured and not able to take any orders. I did look over her work and it appears high quality and very affordable. Let us know how you like it and perhaps by the time you get a good work out on the new rig, Ms. Kuehn will be accepting orders. I liked the look the of the 1911 Commander HRP. I hope she heals well soon, holsters not withstanding.
You might look at a Don Hume 721 OT. Looks about the same, I had one for a Sig P229r and it was very nice. Im more of a IWB guy I've found.

I like the looks/style of the CSO OWB. Snaps on and off, dont have to take your belt off.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks again. I've been using a Hume Yaqui slide and it has served me well. I was just on Gunner's Alley looking over the Hume 721. Looks like that may be a good choice. I still do like the looks of the Kuehn products and who knows, maybe I'll get both.

·
Banned
4,761 Posts
What was the total turn around time JD? Did she bill ya before or when it shipped??:)

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Monica does good work. She is a friend and shooting buddy here in Dallas.

I am glad you like her leather.

Tom

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ordered on Oct 26th, got it today:rock:. I sent payment as soon as they confirmed my order, although she didnt ask for it up front. ( I did short change her due to some bad math on my part:confused:, so I paid that when she said it was ready to ship and she let me know about my error. I completely blame my bad math on the meds, since I ordered when I was sick with the flu :D)

·
Banned
4,761 Posts
I ordered on Oct 26th, got it today:rock:. I sent payment as soon as they confirmed my order, although she didnt ask for it up front. ( I did short change her due to some bad math on my part:confused:, so I paid that when she said it was ready to ship and she let me know about my error. I completely blame my bad math on the meds, since I ordered when I was sick with the flu :D)
I guess Swine Flu does that to ya?:confused: Sounds like a stand up gal doin' honorable work.:rock: I sure hope she recovers quickly and begins to take orders again. I waited a 14 months from one maker.:barf: Glad all went well for you. Looks like Monica does excellent work. Hope she is well soon, we need more like her.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Got my order from Monica Kuehn Leather today. Awesome work. Got a Belt, Mag carrier and IWB holster for commander length. I needed a brown belt and decided to give this one a shot. Its 1.5inches, and the same thickness as my Beltman, but doesnt seem as firm/stiff. Only time will tell, but Im sure it will be a great belt.

Whole Rig

The detail and boning work on this holster is amazing.:rock: I dont have a Milt Sparks to compare to, but photogenically, its very close. It hugs tight to the body, the cant might be a little more than my C5 Iron Side, but it carries the CBOB and CCO great!:rock:

Here it is with my Kramer MSP Paddle. The Paddle is great for under jacket wear. It's on and off quickly and keeps it in tighter than any other paddle I've had. I bought it used, and when I put the CBOB in it, it would slide right out if turned upside down.:eek: I sent it back to Kramer and they tightened it up. Cost me extra money over used cost, but still less than new.

I'll get this Kuehn broken in, and after the short time with it so far, will probably order one for my other carry guns.

PS - the wait time was rediculously short. But dont go order all at once, I dont want to wait 2 months for the next one.:biglaugh:

Sorry about the pics, its a new camera, I need a light box or DSLR.
If your like me and carry all the time your going to get sick of taking off your belt to get your holster off, like when you have to go into the bank or any other CCW off limit area.

Don Hume makes a leather holster that uses a very strong metal clip, I get it in left handed config and put it inside my belt in the small of my back. That way I can just unclip it and put it in my console for situations were I simply must go unarmed.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If your like me and carry all the time your going to get sick of taking off your belt to get your holster off, like when you have to go into the bank or any other CCW off limit area.

Don Hume makes a leather holster that uses a very strong metal clip, I get it in left handed config and put it inside my belt in the small of my back. That way I can just unclip it and put it in my console for situations were I simply must go unarmed.

The loops unsnap and the holster will pull right out. No removing of belt needed. Otherwise, I usually just pull the gun out and store it safely if Im entering somewhere I cant carry. Small of back carry can break your spine alot easier than if there werent a gun there if you are pushed or fall straight backwards.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The loops unsnap and the holster will pull right out. No removing of belt needed. Otherwise, I usually just pull the gun out and store it safely if Im entering somewhere I cant carry. Small of back carry can break your spine alot easier than if there werent a gun there if you are pushed or fall straight backwards.
I see that, cool.

·
Registered
879 Posts
My riding skills are no reflection on my holster making skills :biglaugh:

JD glad I had the opportunity to build your rig. If you need anything just shoot me an email.

I do have my shop closed for now. I'd be useless if I went in there and tried to get anything done. But life happens. I'll get back up to speed and be on the way again :rock:

Take care

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the post Monica, glad you're ok. Wish you a speedy recovery.

Thanks for the excellent work.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts