1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahh. It's nice to have another gun in the mix. Especially if its a rock 1911. Got a new (to me, but used) commander length this weekend with a bull barrel, which will take the place of the full size Colt that I love so much. The leather rig is taking its toll on the finish.

This is my 4th rock, but my first with a bull barrel. It obviously wasn't a deterrent to get it, but after getting it home I am cautiously remorseful of my purchase. Why go with a bull? Sway me with your experience!

Also, I was looking at quite a few rocks this weekend at a local gun show. I went with used because $360 out the door is hard to beat. But the new ones I fondled had literally inoperable thumb safeties. I had to use my off hand to aid in taking it down. Up went just fine. QC issues or is that normal? I've never had a rock do that before...

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
More weight up front to compensate for the 3/4" of missing slide and barrel, slows the cycling down, what's not to like?

Safety should loosen up with use; better too tight to start than too loose to start, IMHO.

Larry

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To be clear, I didn't purchase one of the new rocks with the safeties that were inoperable. Mine was used, dirty and had a price point to match! Cleaned up nicely and with the faux ivory grips it came with, it looks a lot nicer than $360!

Is that all the bull does? Are there differences in accuracy? I know it's a hell of a lot different to take down....

·
Registered
48 Posts
My understanding other than forward weight they are more reliable

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I like the bull barrel. When done right, they lock up TIGHT.

But RIA's bull barell? Meh...
My CS and 10mm are both bull barrel. I don't think its most tightest fit.
But seems to be accurate enough for the job in hand...

Oh, and thumb safety loosen up as you use your gun

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Curt, here it is.

I'm not terribly impressed with the bull barrel. Took it out today and ran 150 thru it. Really shakes rattles and rolls. I had a pre-70 commercial colt at one time that was quite loose, but it had a bushing and was pretty darn accurate. I'm not sure how long this one will stay in the stables. Does RIA make commander length withOUT a bull? both full sized RIA GIs I own (9 & 45) are great.

Over bags at 7 yards groups were open, probably 1.75 to 2" and offhand was worse. I'm willing to put some more time into it before I make a judgement though.

Attachments

·
Registered
949 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the Bull Barrel setup.

You'll lose more practical accuracy from those atrophied little sights.
I'd wager that the average bull barrel and the average normal production bushing barrel would have similar mechanical accuracy, it seems silly to chase the last bits of mechanical accuracy in a carry gun with basic iron sights.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the Bull Barrel setup.

You'll lose more practical accuracy from those atrophied little sights.
I'd wager that the average bull barrel and the average normal production bushing barrel would have similar mechanical accuracy, it seems silly to chase the last bits of mechanical accuracy in a carry gun with basic iron sights.
If done correctly - Meaning oversized bull barrel that was correctly fitted by the competent gunsmith, Bull barrel are just as accurate as barrel with bushing.

But most production level barrel and bushing are not that tight. Not mention loosely fitted lug and barrel hood.

I feel like if someone comments on poor accuracy on the level of gun which RIA is, its more of shooter than a gun itself, since I see no practical accuracy deference between say my .45CS with bull barrel and my 2011 with loosely fitted bushing, and undersized barrel hooded conventional barrel, using same ammo and at the same distance...

Both are shot at 10yd, off hand, using WWB 230gr ball ammo

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mity2. Totally agree that the shooter (myself) may in fact be the problem. And I will give it my standard 5-700 rounds before I make my judgement. But as it sits, I might just flat out prefer bushing barrels. Only time will tell! Thanks for the info and great pictures! I got a nice set of wood slabs that just replaced the faux ivory, giving a little more purchase on the firearm. Maybe they will change the feel and usability for me! If it changes things, ill buy some VZs for it.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Not sure about the mid size, but at least on the 10mm, some slide came with recess cut in to slide for bushing(my first 10mm was, but 2nd and 3rd was not).

So you may wanna check. You might get lucky. If you have the cut for bushing, then just get something like EB barrel drop in that comes with bushing and link, and your GTG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts