1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member: joined to report on a Rock River Arms Elite Commando (4.25 inch barrel) that I received after a 12 month wait.

Most everything on this pistol is "as advertised", but here are some details:

1. Novak Tritium Bar-Dot sights (green bar, orange dot).
2. Kart NM barrel & bushing.
3. Two-piece guide rod
4. Beautiful 30lpi checking on front & backstrap.
5. Zero play in barrel and slide... absolutely rock solid. Fit was so tight initially that the slide would not go into battery without assistance. Now, after about 1000 rds, it's butter smooth, but still locks up tight as a drum.
6. Beautiful job of dehorning the gun... hard to see at first, but once you wrap your hand around it, you just can't find a sharp edge anywhere.
7. Nicely beveled mag well... easy to hit on tactical reloads.

I took a flyer and had the entire pistol Black Hardchromed. After 2 months of daily concealed wear and substantial range-time, I can report very satisfactory results:

1. Pistol has a matte, deep-black appearance. Rich, and very pleasing.

2. No holster wear at all so far (extensive carry in both a Mitch Rosen Belt Slide and ARG). I know others have reported that it's not durable, but IMO it's already exceeded what I can expect from either blueing or parkerizing.

Mini-Range-Report:

1. Eats everything. Standard diet is reloads (Rainier Plated 230 grain, miscellaneous brass, 4.0gr of Hogdon Clays, Federal Primers). Factory ammo has been Federal and Fiocchi so far, and it's been absolutely reliable.

2. Scary accurate. The 50 yd tgt that shipped with the pistol shows a 2 inch group. I shoot all offhand, and it's sure easy to look good on the range with this pistol... everything goes in the black almost of its own volition.

3. Both Wilson and McCormick 8-rd mags function flawlessly.

Carry:

This my first Commander-length pistol, and I've been very happy with it so far. My 5-inch 1911 used to get in the way of reaching for my wallet whenever I carried OWB... not so with the 4.25 inch barrel. And frankly, it's a more accurate pistol even though the barrel is shorter. I gained greater carry convenience without sacrificing accuracy.

I'm trying to figure out the "posting pictures" riddle now... I'll try to post some later.

Anyways, I am definitely an RRA fan. Gay (saleslady) is a joy to work with (phone... don't e-mail... she has constant trouble with e-mail), and they definitely went the extra mile for me. I would have had the pistol in 10 months, but the plating company did an unsat job on the slide, and RRA shipped it back to them (without charging me) and had them re-do it. Nice.

Nothing beats a new .45!

------------------
Liberty45 Sends

·
Vendor
1,642 Posts
"Nothing beats a new .45!"

Now, ain't that the truth. Especially one as nice as yours.

I'm sure it was worth the wait.
Congratulations!

Say more about the "black chrome." Know who did it?

Oh, yeah! How dare you get me all excited about your pistol and not have pictures! Let's see that puppy! Soon.

------------------
"Your aim in life is not worth anything if you don't pull the trigger."

[This message has been edited by tonerguy (edited 11-26-2001).]

·
Registered
123 Posts
Liberty,
Did you get the 1.5" guarantee? Sounds like a sweet little shooter.
If you have a digital camera posting pictures is fairly easy.
1. Take your photos
2. Put disk into computer. Use Windows Explorer (or similar) click on A:. Double click on file to view photo(s).
3. Go to hunting-pictures.com and sign up for a free account.
4. Post your pictures to your free web page by following easy directions.
5. Follow the directions on this board(1911 Forum.com) to make a hot link to your photos.
6. Wait as we all drool and then post ooh's and aah's about your new toy.
7. Remember to do a lot of cut and pasting after you type in your first long string of info for the link. Then edit the file name only for each new picture. This will save you a lot of needless re-typing of mostly similar info for pictures two three and four etc.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are the pics. Thanks to Kimberholic. Also posted these pictures as a new thread (too dumb to remember to post them as a "reply" instead of as a new topic).

For tonerguy, I think Accurate Plating & Weaponry does RRA's plating (and their website DOES list black chrome)... but I'm not absolutely positive they did this job.

50 yard test target that came with the Pistol.

Enjoy!!!

------------------
Liberty45 Sends

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are the pics. Thanks to Kimberholic. Also posted these pictures as a new thread (too dumb to remember to post them as a "reply" instead of as a new topic).

For tonerguy, I think Accurate Plating & Weaponry does RRA's plating (and their website DOES list black chrome)... but I'm not absolutely positive they did this job.

50 yard test target that came with the Pistol.

Enjoy!!!

------------------
Liberty45 Sends

·
Registered
123 Posts
Liberty,
That is one fantastic looking pistol. I am still curious though if you got the 1.5" guarantee. I really like that finish too. I'll bet it is extremely durable.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry... forgot to answer that one.

No, I didn't get the 1.5" guarantee. Honestly, the pistol shoots better than I'm capable of anyways... so it would have been a lost expenditure.

I was quite nervous about the black chrome, but I've been more than pleased with it so far. I inspect the finish very carefully after every cleaning, and it just hasn't shown any sign of wear yet, despite about 500 or so holster presentations so far.

The one thing I haven't done is try it in a Kydex holster yet... mostly because I've heard some bad stories of what friction with Kydex can do to a blue job. So, I ordered a Wilson Combat "Tactical Assault" kydex holster because it's lined with suede on the inside... and therefore should minimize finish damage.

------------------
Liberty45 Sends

1 - 7 of 7 Posts