1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the range today to go shooting since I've been sick for the past few weeks and haven't made it out in a while. When I walked in I was pleasantly surprised when they pulled out a case from behind the counter for me that said Kimber on it. My Custom Royal just came in and it’s one nice looking pistol! The first thing that caught my attention was that only the flats were polished, the rest of the gun was more matte looking. NICS was down but I figured I might as well shoot it a little today even if I couldn't take it home.

This is my first 1911 so I can't give a great professional report on the gun and how well it’s built but I liked it.
I’m used to glock triggers so I wasn't shooting it that well today, I’m sure after a couple more trips out I’ll be blowing the bullseyes out of the targets with it. I only experienced one malfunction on the 2nd or 3rd mag through it, the round stopped halfway into the chamber. The checkered rosewood grips (although quite attractive) really dug into my fingertips causing it to hurt just to grip the gun. I already ordered some McCormick slim carry smooth grips; I hope my somewhat small hands like the slim grips.

Another problem was that the trigger felt pretty heavy compared to other Kimbers I’ve shot. I figured it just needed to be broken in but it felt heavy compared to another NIB Kimber from the case in the store. So what should I do about the trigger? Should I just shoot and dry fire the gun a lot in the hopes that the trigger will get substantially lighter after wearing in or should I have someone work on the gun?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Congrats on the new Kimber. The Royal is a purty gun!

As for the trigger, shoot it a bit, dry fire it. It may improve, but if you shoot it 500-1000 rounds, if it doesn't, then you maight also find some other things you might want to change.

If it's functioning without problems, I don't like to monkey around with things too much. If it ain't broke---don't fix it.

Some triggers are better than others. Yours may need work--give it a bit of time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Russell,
I have had similar FTF's with my Royal Carry. I have about 1200rds through mine, most of which have been reloads. I have been blaming the FTF's on my reloads.
I have yet to have a single problem with personal defense FACTORY AMMO. I have been using Speer 185gr Gold Dot loads. But I have to say my preferred load is by PROLOAD using the 185gr Gold Dot bullet. Low flash, hits where I point it.
The trigger, remember the Royal Carry pistol is designed for CCW and not match shooting, all mfg's keep the trigger pulls above 4lbs for ccw weapons (Kimber included).
The Rosewood grips... pretty to look at, but I dislike them for another reason. If you carry using a IWB rig, you will find the grips will chaff your "love handle bars." So I wear a tee shirt with a second shirt covering up my hiden surprise.

Best Regards,

------------------
Don - Stanwood, WA
Kimber Royal Carry

"He who is void of virtuous attachments in private life is,
or very soon will be, void of all regard for his country."
--Samuel Adams

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
D-squared, is your Royal Carry a limited edition gun? i never saw a Royal the size of a Pro Carry on Kimber's web site or in their catalog before.
I think the jam was probably caused by the Kimber magazine since it happened on the last round in the mag. I bought some Wilson mags and hopefully i won't have any jams while using them. I got the McCormick grips today and put them on. They feel and look great. the thin grips fit great in my hand and the smooth texture feels a lot better to grab onto.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Russell92 asaid he got a "Custom Royal" not a Royal Carry, I have never seen a or heard of a Royal Carry. I have a Custom Royal also, and it is a beautiful gun, shoots better then me, just put "Novak nite sights on it, also just got new Pro CDP now that is a pretty gun, haven't shot it yet. As for the grips, I took ultra fine emory cloth and sanded where needed to take off sharp points. Worked great

------------------
GMAN

·
Registered
76 Posts
I also have the Custom Royal. I sent it to George Smith at EGW. He did the trigger, an action job and a match bushing. Its as smooth as silk. And hasn't missed a lick since. I also have a Heritage, it fails to eject holding the spent case under the extractor. It also FTF the eighth round from my Wilson mags. Its going back to Kimber tomorrow. Anybody have any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Russel (Jason FYI)

For your trigger issue I agree with the earlier posts and just shoot the pistol for a few hundred rounds before you have anything changed. Though I would make sure the triger mechanism is lubricated. Try the following after your next cleaning.

While the slide is off the frame put two drops of oil down the disconnector. This is the post that sticks up through the frame in front of the hammer. Place another drop on the front and rear of the hammer as low as possible. Lubricate the frame rails using a Que-tip, the oil here runs, pools, or drips, you have too much. Install the slide. Put one drop of oil on each side of the trigger shoe. Now dry fire the pistol at least 5 times with the muzzel pointing up.

From your description, it sounds like your failure to feed is a combination ammunition and barrel throat/polish problem. What is happening is the practice ammo you are using is catching on the shoulder of your barrel mouth, because the bullet case mouth crimp is not tight enough. Kimber uses some pretty tight barrel chambers and sometimes does not get them throated or polished enough. The fix for this is generally a "reliability" job where the barrel throat is extended up to the hood by slightly beveling the shoulder, and the throat and chamber are polished, plus the extractor is properly tensioned. If your failures to feed continue after you have fired at least 300 rounds you should have this taken care of by Kimber, or a local smith. If you decide to send your pistol to someone other tan Kimber be sure to ask for recommendations here, or at Pistolsmith.com, as there are a lot of hacks out there that call themselves gunsmiths.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Russel (and gang),
When I saw the questions regarding a Royal Carry, I thought oh boy... did I just make a fool of myself? And the answer is... no.
I went and got the pistol out and checked it out. It is indeed a Custom Royal Carry. On the left side of the slide it has Custom - Kimber - Shop stamped on it, and on the right side under the ejection port it is stamped Royal Carry.
My pistol has a alloy frame and is a 4 inch compact. It shoots very well too. I am a LH shooter so I really get along with the ambi safety. My gun has a night sites too.
Is my pistol a limited edition weapon? Heck I don't know...

Though I have never had my trigger weighed, I am sure it's pull is 4lbs or greater. I have chose to heed the advise of CCW authors and not tweek the trigger should I ever have to use the weapon in defense of my life and/or those I love.
Best Regards,

------------------
Don - Stanwood, WA
Kimber Royal Carry

--Samuel Adams

·
Registered
421 Posts
D-squared,

The Royal Carry was (I believe) one of the limited run Kimber Custom Shop offerings of the past.

I believe Kimber came out with the compact guns in 1998 so I guess it was offered between then & 2000; I don't believe it was cataloged last year when I started looking at the CDP series.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hummm... Interesting post Kevinch, I am very happy with the Royal Carry Custom Compact, it is a very nice handling weapon. Looks like it is a "not-so-common" pistol.
As you-all will see I have tweeked my signature to more accurately reflect my lil' baby.

This has been a fun thread. You-all have me wondering if it might be wise for me to try out another clip or two. Of course the officers style pistol is a 6/7 shoot weapon (depending on who's clip is in it). I think I will try out a wilson model.
Best regards,

------------------
Don - Stanwood, WA
Kimber Custom Royal Carry

--Samuel Adams

·
Registered
256 Posts
I also have a Kimber Royal Carry. It is a beautifully blue officers' size with night sights. Extremely accurate and reliable. Trigger is very nice too, but I haven't measured it-no need to. It did go back to Kimber when I first got it because of jamming. But since I got it back, not a problem. Ron

1 - 11 of 11 Posts