1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we finally picked up a 1911 to add to the collection. It is an SA 1911 2001 loaded model. Basically, it looks like a great gun and the trigger feels good, maybe too good. . . .

After 20 rounds, we sent it back to SA. That good trigger, I suspect was causing the hammer to follow. Anyways, they said that they will fix it. We called later and were told three weeks, but I don't think by a person who has seen the gun. It sounded like a standard answer. How long did it take you to get yours back for those of you who have been through the warranty deal?

Also, when did they change the thumb safety?

When I get time I'll post some more details and a picture.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hello Nathan. My 2001 Parkerized Loaded returned to me just under two weeks the first time I sent it back. The finish was coming off of the cocking serrations two days after I bought it. I had the custom shop stipple the front strap and do a trigger job while it was there. They refinished the entire pistol and performed the other work that I had requested. I was told 4-6 weeks by the custom shop but like I said it was just shy of two weeks. I just received it back yesterday after sending it in again for a functioning problem. Had it back a week to the day. I talked with Dave Williams concerning my problem before sending it back. He tried diagnosing it over the telephone but we couldn't figure it out. Hammer was falling to half cock instead of going boom. It would happen very infrequently. Dave actually called me at work to ask me some questions when he received my gun. To say that I was impressed is a gross understatement. We discussed my shooting style and he thought that it was my grip engaging the thumb safety just ever so slightly causing my problem. He trimmed the thumb safety and drilled a detent in it making it very stiff so that it stays put. I won't have a chance to try it out until Saturday at the Keystone Combat Classic IDPA state championship match. Springfield made no promises to me as far as getting the gun to me before the state match. The fact that it came back in a week shows me that they care about their customers. I will definately be a lifetime Springfield Armory customer. I don't know about the safety. Sorry for the long post but I am really impressed with the level of service that Springfield provides. I have no doubts that my pistol will function perfectly but it will be a trial by fire, pardon the pun, on Saturday. Let me know how you make out with your Springfield.

Shooter Ready?

G

·
For Canadians like myself sending the entire gun across the border takes a long time or lots of money. Guns should come done right the first time!!! I am quite disappointed with my SS loaded.
My Norinco is accurate and 100% reliable and sights were properly adjusted too.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, here are the details of the gun that I purchased, in case a future SA shopper is lurking here.

When I got the gun it looked great. It had a nice bevel to it. The edges are not rounded off like a used bar of soap, but they were not to sharp. I like to see the lines of the gun. I like a small radius dehorning. Because of that I was impressed with the SA dehorning.

The grips were a nice looking color with some grain showing, but it seems like the checkering washes out the grain a bit, IMHO. Still nice looking. The front strap was typical SA profile, which feels ok to me. Maybe a bit blockier than my buddy's Colt. The MS housing was a 20LPI, I believe, unit. It was speced to be serrated, so I think this must be a mistake. I'm happy to have the level up. Between the checkering on the grips and the MS housing, the gun feels really planted in hand. I hope my hand or the checkering wears a bit. It is a bit tough to rotate the gun to get on the slide release. Not too bad since I have a big hand.

In front of and on the dust cover there was some pitting. That is odd for a SS gun. I believe this gun missed a bit of polishing or bead blasting there. I mentioned it when it was sent in. I'm picky and it even took me a while to notice. I think I saw it after I wiped the gun down with CLP and the brown oil was sitting in the pits.

The sights are black on black Novak shaped sights. I would like to get Novak night sights or have trijicon dots put in the SA sights. The gun shot just a bit low with the one load of ball that I tried. Maybe 1" low if I remember correct. To be fair, every gun I shoot for the first few hundred rounds shoots low until I figure out where my hand fits best. I suspect after 200 rounds, it will be point of aim, but I want to report the facts as they were.

The barrel fit looked great. No, I repeat, no movement at either the bushing or the hood. I've never seen another gun fit this tight. That is a good thing unless it affects reliability. Slide to frame fit was tight enough that it was getting that galling feeling until I added grease to the rails and the slide. Then it felt great.

More later.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally. . .

Ireally like the looks of this gun! What do you all think?? Ok, I wish the safety were a different shape.

[This message has been edited by Nathan (edited 08-30-2001).]

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow the picture finally worked! I'm now using photofun.com. They have a nice free account.

I'm always itching for a new project and I like nothing more than one that is fairly cheap. How much efffort am I talking about to fit a Wilson tactical thumb safety, Wilson Bulletproof Slide Release and a 30LPI checkered MS Housing? Is there any chance they will drop in?

·
Registered
411 Posts
The thumb safety will need some fitting. Use your original safety as a guide.The internal lug of the safety needs to be just like the one on the factory safety. A Dremel tool and or a file work very well. Watch the Dremel though. They can remove too much metal in a short amount of time if your not careful. The slide stop should be a drop in. Sometimes they do require some filing or polishing where they contact the magazine follower. Shouldn't be a big deal. Ok, I've saved the best for last. The mainspring housing. I replaced my ILS MS housing earlier this year. The parts that you will need in addition to the housing are a new MS cap, MS cap pin, and a new mainspring. The ILS has no MS cap pin and the MS cap has a deeper pocket than a standard 1911 MS cap. The mainspring is shorter than a standard one because of the ILS system. When I replaced these items I also replaced the titanium firing pin and the XXH firing pin spring that Springfield uses. The titanium firing pin is a little known part of the ILS system. I had some problems with my gun not going off when I pulled the trigger. Springfield tried to help me over the phone and that is how the info on the pin came up. I installed an Ed Brown Maxi-Well on my Springfield and that's when my problems started. It wasn't the Maxi-Well though. It was my grip and a loose safety lever. Hope this info helps.

Shooter Ready?

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I thought that I had been writing all of the details here, but apparently not.

It went back for hammer follow and the finnish having rust spots. They re sandblasted it and tuned up the action to correct the hammer follow.

That was fixed, but then it jammed all of the time. So it went back again. They polished the ramp and the throat, installed a new extractor, reamed the chamber, and polished the chamber.

Soon should be the final test fire and final acceptance. urrgh!

I just want to find a nice shoulder rig to plant it in!

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it is jam free finally! Also, I got a nice Alessi shoulder rig for it. I need to post more about that when I get it all figured out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts