1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, I'm new to the forum and hope you can help me with some problems I'm having with a new Springfield Armory Champion 1911-A1. I have fired about 450 rounds through my gun, 350 of which were hardball, Winchester USA and UMC. Another 100 were JHP's and SWC's.
The problem I'm having is that the gun will jam on the last round in the magazine, FTF. The cartridge will make it up the feed-ramp and then balk as the rim is trying to go under the extractor. Only on the last round though. I thought it might be the factory magazines, so I purchased a Wilson 8 round mag and had the same problem.

This is not every magazine full, but out of the 450 rounds I've fired, it has happened probably 15 times.

I've cleaned the gun, I've lubed the gun. Any thoughts???

[This message has been edited by Double Tap (edited 07-19-2001).]

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Yep...I've had probs with mine too...Started around 600 rds and by 700 wouldn't be good for anything but a paperweight...
My ejector, extractor and recoil spring were all bad, the trigger needed work and I was lucky to get it all done rather quickly. Replaced all those parts and the springs and pins and a smith friend added a FLGR and finished it up for me...
There are several discussions going on about this type of issue. If I had to do it over, I'd contact Dave Williams at SA and ask him to fix all of it and to keep it 'til evrything was done! It's hell to have a perfectly functioning pistol one day and literally nothing the next!

Unless you want to tackle it or just can't afford to be without it(like me) here's Daves' e-mail...

[email protected]

good luck and let us know what you do!

You might look around the forum under the Maintenance and Troubleshooting and/or the do it your self forums for posts similar to yours...It's not only SAs that have this problem!

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

[This message has been edited by gyp_c (edited 06-10-2001).]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply gyp_c, I think I will probably return the gun to SA. I called them about the problem and the woman I spoke to sounded like she really could care less about my problems. I hope this is not representative of what is to come.

In your opinion, is SA quality and reliability usually good, or did I make a bad choice on this gun?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Originally posted by Double Tap:
I called them about the problem and the woman I spoke to sounded like she really could care less about my problems. I hope this is not representative of what is to come.
Call up Springfield...ask for extension X939 (this person is Debbie) she will take care of it for you. In my experience, Springfield bends over backwards to fix problems.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I like the pistol and SA...I think you should contact Dave and tell him everything...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts