1911Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are finally moved. The very first item into the home was my NIB (one very big box) Browning Safe bought and delivered for $900.00. Both retail & wholesale around here were quite a bit higher, as would have been cost to have it delivered. It had a fairly deep scratch on the front door above the B in Browning. Inside the safe was touch up paint provided by Browning, so it simply got touched up.......which worked for me.:cool:

Pic1=the safe. Pic2=the scratch. Pic3=why I got it. Those guns just love me for providing their new home.:biglaugh:

Be Safe, Shoot Well.:rock:

· Registered
541 Posts
Where did you come up with the racks for the pistols? Been looking around for something I could use fairly cheaply around town with no luck. Are they actually made for handguns? Or are they some hardware home depot item? Thanks, Carl

· Registered
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
i bought mine locally at one of our smiths shops. yes, they are made for handguns and you can place the guns in a couple different ways depending upon how you set up the rack, short side frontwards or tall side frontwards. as you can see these are six gun models with one of my 1911 lost on the end out of sight on the 2nd shelf. they do function very nicely for their intended purpose.

sawyer:

which catalog and what page in brownells? they would probably be cheaper to buy from brownells. i am currenlty waiting for the lastest brownells catalog. i just might do a quick search on their web site.

edit: i just checked the Brownells Web Page. they are under Versatile Rack. $21.45 for the four gun and $25.00 for the six gun. I paid $27.00 each for my two six gun racks locally.

be safe, shoot well.:rock:

· Registered
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yep......I have to admit it.....I am shotgun challenged......none in the safe.......none in the house. shot guns and I just don't mix well together:mummy: while pistols and rifles just keep calling out my name.......go figure.:scratch:

shooting three times a week now I rotate through everything in the safe on a regular basis but I do have my favorites.....every one of my now five 1911's, my schofield .38 and dare I say it, my 92G Elite IA Beretta.

be safe, shoot well.:rock:

· Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Yep, scratch 'n dent sales are great! I got my Liberty Lincoln for about $500 off becuase it had a couple of nearly invisible "fish eyes" in the paint. Great deal.

Nice safe and collection, by the way. Thanks for the pic.

JPC

· Registered
735 Posts
Very nice collection and safe mitrod.

How much trouble was it to move? Did they deliver or did you use a hand dollie and move it like a refridgerator?

I am seriously thinking about getting one too. Gunshop down the street has about 15 or 20 in a showroom and all are very big and expensive. His handguns are a little high also. I may have to get one out of town.

Don't lose the combination! :biglaugh:

· Registered
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Flatiron:

I hear ya. I have the combination stored in code in three other locations as the old memory ain't as good as it once was:confused: .......now I just hope I don't forget how I coded it.:scratch: :biglaugh:

Two men delivered this one using a refrig dollie to get her into place in the middle of my office which was being painted. After the painting was done my wife, kid and I used our legs and feet to move it against the wall. It moved very easily on the carpet once you got her going.:cool:

I had considered a safe of this kind for awhile now as my gun collection grew larger. As you said, they can be pricey. When my range owner offered me the deal on a scratched one, I jumped on it.

Good luck to you and may a good deal on one come your way.

Be Safe, Shoot Well.:rock:

· Registered
3,612 Posts
Nice looking safe. You might want to consider interior lighting. I bought a safe light kit, which is just some rope lights and a magnetic switch. Do you have a dehumidifyer?

On the subject of pistol racks, here's mine:

· Registered
4 Posts
JohnCollins said:
Yep, scratch 'n dent sales are great! I got my Liberty Lincoln for about $500 off becuase it had a couple of nearly invisible "fish eyes" in the paint. Great deal.

JPC
I got a Liberty Washington this summer for about $1400 that was 'used'.

They warranty against theft and attempted theft. Some yahoos had tried to break into it using a crowbar and a hammer. Left a few scratchs and the dial had to be replaced. I bought it with no warranty. A little touch up paint and it looks like new.

It controls my life now. I need to fill up 40 cubic feet with guns. Turning into a long process.

· Premium Member
673 Posts
The little safe in the garage:

I home-made this wood pistol rack. It holds eight. Not pretty, but I don't look at it much. I used a hole saw and cut the rest with a table saw. It is functional. I keep meaning to go back and add a soft liner, seude etc. but haven't gotten around to it. Don't ask me about plans, rulers etc. I don't use them unless I have to.

Rob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.