1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 18 months of procrastination, I ended up making a decision and picking up the SFX9S. Took a long time as I am not planning on carrying it all the time by any means but wanted a replacement for my Sig P238 for those times that I didn’t want a large gun or concealment was a major issue.

I also had been indecisive as we are looking at close to a years wait on new order for a Wilson’s. Got on George’s website on Sunday and found he had an in stock SFX9S that was just to the specifications that I would have ordered. E-mailed George for the actual price, was very pleasantly surprised and told him I would take it. Drove to his house the next day and picked it up.

Non rail, DLC slide, naked slide, Wilson’s TAB combat rear and Ameriglo front sight. I also ordered and have received from Wilson two 10 round magazines with finger pad base and a Sparks SS II.

Went to the range on Tuesday and since it was a cool misty, rainy day I did not shoot drills on multiple targets but shot a NRA 50’ bullseye target @ 10 yards. Didn’t shoot to slow or too fast, just a medium pace with a few picking the pace up fairly well. Shot 100 flawless rounds with my reloads and then shot 25 147 gr HST’s. Had 4 FTRB with those. Not sure yet if the gun is not liking those rounds or if something got into that was causing the issue. After cleaning I was unable to get the slide to stay out of battery when trying to do so very slowly easing the slide forward.

I’ll get some more rounds through it in the next couple days and also try some 124 gr HST’s.

So far I am extremely happy with this new Wilson. First new gun that I have bought since I retired a little over four years ago.

First shot and then after 124 more.
Circle Pattern Recreation Art Font
Font Circle Pattern Gun barrel Starting pistol

·
Registered
613 Posts
Well apipeguy you bought the pistol I have been contemplating on purchasing. At the moment I am waiting for an email from George in reference to a pistol I have on order. The only reason I didn't purchase SFX9S was I didn't know how the grip would fit my hand. I did look on Wilson's website and saw they offer a magazine with a pinky extension (not cheap). Would you be kind enough to take a picture holding the pistol to give some perspective of actual grip length?
Congratulations on the new pistol.

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Im glad you like it. I ordered mine in Jan. and got it the end of Sept. I only had it out at the range a few times and it is put together like a swiss watch. The closest gun to it is my Dan Wesson. I can see myself selling a few of my other 1911s to buy another from Wilson.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Try running the 147s without the shock buffer if it has one..I know some folks had trouble with the X9s with the shock buf.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try running the 147s without the shock buffer if it has one..I know some folks had trouble with the X9s with the shock buf.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Did not come with one.

Would you be kind enough to take a picture holding the pistol to give some perspective of actual grip length?
Will try and get one, may have to get someone else take it.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I kind of wish I hadn't seen this post.... I originally had this model confused with something else so I never gave it a thought... now I found one available, built to my liking. I'm just not sure I want to deplete my slush fund!

·
Super Moderator
15,610 Posts
Nice shooting brother, and nice find for you! Enjoy, and likely see you in January (so I can test it out).

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Roger. Can’t commit yet to January but I’m hoping.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@nod; got my daughter to help with a photo. The little grip extension makes the mag just about perfect. I just don’t like the fell of the 15 round mag with the filler.

Hope to shoot a few hundred tomorrow but it has been raining for a couple days.

I wear a large sized glove but have a skinny large hand.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Wood stain

·
Registered
91 Posts
From you pics, I see a new 10rnd mag with finger extension!
The 15 rnd has too much butt for carry for me, so I use one as a relaod but I will have to get a couple of the 10 rnd with finger extension.
This is a great EDC!!!

·
Registered
613 Posts
@nod; got my daughter to help with a photo. The little grip extension makes the mag just about perfect. I just don’t like the fell of the 15 round mag with the filler.

Hope to shoot a few hundred tomorrow but it has been raining for a couple days.

I wear a large sized glove but have a skinny large hand.

View attachment 619135
Thank you very much! That will be easier to conceal than a G19 due to the smaller grip.

·
Registered
613 Posts
A little too slow on getting the one on gunslingers. Guess I'll wait and see what comes along.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Send him an e-mail, I would bet he has some more coming in.

Just got back from up north but did not get a round fired. Hope to get it back to the range on Tuesday.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It’s always good making a trip to George’s for a pickup! Congrats on the new pistol! Mines been great!

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Four hour round trip for me but better than having all the employees at the LGS molesting it before I pick it up. Easy drive, too.

After working outside all day yesterday I loaded all my Wilson silhouette targets in my vehicle for today’s range trip but it has been misting rain all day and I’ll wait til tomorrow to get it back out. Very happy with it so far.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got back out to the range with my 10 round SFX9 today. Fired 300 rounds on three Wilson Steel Silhouette targets. Started with two @ 10 yards and one @ 13-14 yards. Later switched to all three @ 10 for additional drills.

The SFX9 ran flawlessly with my reloads and 124 gr HST’s but again had a FTRB with the 17th 147 gr HST’s. Better than the last time but it will be loaded with 124’s.

A little more wear than I expected on the frame where the rear bottom of the barrel ramp contacts the frame and also a scratch line across the left side of the magazines near where the double stack starts to decrease.

Slightly slower magazine changes due to the small magazine and grip size but I’m sure that will improve as I get more use to it.

Extremely accurate, especially for a small gun. Carries like a dream in the Wilson Milt Sparks black shark SSII.

All in all very happy with this. Will be helping my old department with night qualifications next week and plan to run it through a daylight and night qualification.

Wood Rectangle Natural material Gadget Tints and shades
Plant Natural landscape Tree Wood Land lot
Plant Tree Land lot Grass Wood
Office equipment Material property Telephony Electronic device Office supplies
Air gun Trigger Bird Gun barrel Material property
Gesture Font Symbol Metal Art

1 - 20 of 27 Posts