1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what anyone can tell me about the 1911 from the pics. Its SIGs replacement to the problematic GSR. still called the GSR, the R now stands for revolution instead of Rail :). Theese are pics of the actual gun not a photo of the prototype from SHOT. I am seriously considering buying one and the street price is supposedly around $850. I know the purists will not appreciate the looks but I must say I find it looks damn nice :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm sort of a closet Sig fan, and I think the new GSR looks nice. Thats about all one can tell from the picture.
glad they ditched the rail on this one. The only thing I really don't like about the looks is the external extractor. I'm sure it will function fine, the S&Ws seem to be doing well, but I just prefer the older design/style.
Not just on 1911s, I think regular Sigs look better with internal extractors, my 226, of german manufacture, has an internal, and I love the looks.

·
Registered
386 Posts
BucBrew,

I see you have seen James' post on the sigforum. Great looking 1911. I think this will be my next 1911 when I can save up enough. Like you , I have other SiGs and like every one of them.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'll let ya know

I got word from Sig that my new one should be here tomorrow or Saturday at the latest, I'll wring it out this weekend and post Sunday evening or Monday to say how it shoots, Also hopefully I will have some more pics to share.

Forester

·
Registered
657 Posts
Unbelievable

So I just got off the phone with Ed from Sig customer service; I spoke with Eric this morning and was told the gun should ship out likely today or at the latest tomorrow.

This afternoon Ed calls to say the gun isn’t right and he doesn’t want to send it, said the hammer was off center in the frame and there was some sort of imperfection in the trigger guard. Also this was a rail frame which makes me think it is a leftover Caspian frame they were going to send.

Don’t get me wrong I do appreciate them not sending another gun that wasn’t right, but either they still have manufacturing problems or they built the gun on an old frame that wasn’t right, either way that’s pretty pitiful in my estimation.

I’m not sure after waiting since July to get a gun back that I already bought once that I am going to wait much longer. If they call back tomorrow to say it’s going to be another month then I will be getting a refund and be back in the market for a new gun.

So buyer beware, if you are going to buy one of the new GSRs then look it over VERY closely.

Also: might as well ask, suggestions on a replacement by another manufacturer in the $1000-1500 range?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Forester,
That is really disturbing! I would have thought if SIG would get anything right on the new GSRs it would be the infamous hammer lean. Mine still leans after being repaired but it doesn't rub the slide now. I would be interested to know if your new gun is being built on a Caspian frame or an in house made frame? If they are still having the same issues on their own stuff then I will not be buying another GSR after all.
I know lots of other manufactures have problems as well but when a company with SIGs reputation of high quality puts out a pistol in the 1000.00 price range I think we all have the right as consumers to expect that same quality out of the box and the first time. I still like my SIGs and I still carry one daily, but I have to admit the fit, finish and service is not as good as it was 14 years ago when I bought my first P226.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forester, your in the same boat as quite a few folks on the SIgForum I have talked with. My experiences with SIG customer service have been nothing short of fantastic however. I would let them know you do not want an older GSR and only want to replace it with one of the newer revolution guns. Hammer lean was a very common problem on the railed GSR's and for some reason it never appeared to be correctable.. That said I think I will wait a bit before purchasing to make sure its up to SIGs typical quality.

·
Registered
657 Posts
more..

BucBrew:

I have made that pretty clear with them, the thing i dont understand is how this all happened. They were supposed to do an action/trigger job on the gun before sending it to me, and it was supposed to be checked over by a smith before it was sent out. Now if all that was done, how come the hammer problem was not noticed before? surely in "checking over" a gun that was to be a warranty replacement any competant 'smith ought to have seen that problem.

The actual customer service folks i have talked to have been nothing but apologetic for the delays/problems and I know it is pretty much out of their hands, however I am really losing confidence in Sig's ability to build a quality 1911...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Im Done

I have had to cut ties with Sig on the GSR, they built the replacement gun, had it ready to ship, and the customer service guy said he looked it over and it had some kind of imperfection on the trigger gaurd, and the hammer was off center in the frame. When he called back to say it would be another month before they could have another gun sent to me, I told him to send a refund check, which they are doing.

Sorry it all went down this way and I hope those that get the new GSRs are luckier than I was!!

PS...now saving pennies to add to the refund check for a Les Baer

·
Administrator
13,292 Posts
Sorry to hear of your ordeal . I don't blame you a bit . Enjoy your new Baer :) I have a PII and SRP and they are perfect .

What bothers me is that Sig has more than 1 GSR laying around . Why not just pick out another one for you ? Another month is wrong . They're shipping the new models out now . We received one from RSR on Thursday .

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Revolution is a nice looking pistol, but they really should have gone with a different beavertail safety. It looks like they kept the same as what they used on the first generation GSR.

·
Registered
45 Posts
SirFlopAlot,
I thought I would get a Brown or similar grip safety. Functionally I can't tell a difference. I thought it would be uncomfortable to shoot but its not. Granted, it is not a real pretty grip safety but it works well for me.
Forester,
Can't say I blame you. Wish I still had my Les Baer TRS. That was a fine pistol and worth every penny I spent on it.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
SirFlopALot said:
The Revolution is a nice looking pistol, but they really should have gone with a different beavertail safety. It looks like they kept the same as what they used on the first generation GSR.
Looks to me that they are using a Caspian beavertail with a .220 radius. Switching to a Brown bearetail would entail a great deal of fitting. If you don't like the looks of the Caspian both S&A and Wilson make a beavertail with a .220 radius.

·
Registered
50 Posts
magilla gorilla said:
Looks to me that they are using a Caspian beavertail with a .220 radius. Switching to a Brown bearetail would entail a great deal of fitting. If you don't like the looks of the Caspian both S&A and Wilson make a beavertail with a .220 radius.
I think I recall a thread where someone swapped in a Wilson and it required quite a bit of work to fit it. If it's a drop in I would have my GSR done in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
All

From the photos it appears that SIG has decided to continue to use the Caspian grip safety, which for me is a deal stopper. This safety was a bad idea when Colt used it in the XS models, it was a bad idea in the original GSR, and it is still a bad idea. The reason I fee it is a bad idea is the spike design of the bump. In my hand, this spike presses on the nerves at the base of my thumb and after shooting 50 rounds I am done for the day, due to either pain or numbness. To be fair, the Smith & Alexander grip safeties Springfield uses do the same thing to me as well.

So I suggest that anyone that is interested in one of these pistols rent one first.

·
Registered
80 Posts
higgy1911 said:
I'm sort of a closet Sig fan, and I think the new GSR looks nice. Thats about all one can tell from the picture.
glad they ditched the rail on this one. The only thing I really don't like about the looks is the external extractor. I'm sure it will function fine, the S&Ws seem to be doing well, but I just prefer the older design/style.
Not just on 1911s, I think regular Sigs look better with internal extractors, my 226, of german manufacture, has an internal, and I love the looks.
I wouldn't worry about the extractor, EGW made the extractors for the new ones. They do incredable work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought a Revolution and the quality for $999 is amazing. I can't find a single functional or aesthetic flaw. it shoots great and is superbly accurate as well as looks really good. Yes I would prefer a different grip safety without the bump. Noone seems to like it yet Sig persists in using it. I might change it out but I'm getting used to it. Sig also backs up their pistols with great service.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Jgrub75 said:
I wouldn't worry about the extractor, EGW made the extractors for the new ones. They do incredable work.
Thank you for the kind words Jgrub.
based on purchase orders, the current guns are using parts from the first run of parts. We are told to expect new rounds of purchase orders before Jan.06
it will be interesting to see how many of the origional suppliers are retained.

geo

·
Registered
742 Posts
I haven't been on the boards for awhile and this was the first I've seen of the new GSR. I have one of the older ones and love it. I like the looks of the new one much more. I'm not a big fan of the rails. I will have to keep an eye out for the new one and my even have to trade something in for it.

Cazio

1 - 20 of 34 Posts