1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hadn't seen this posted anywhere in the forums, so I figured it definitely needed to be linked. Over at the SIG Forum, everyone's moaning about the fact that it's a single action, has a safety, and isn't a SIG. Boo hoo. Looks like someone finally decided to remake the Mustang (and about time already!):

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/1481042941

Direct link to image:

http://www.bcfllc.com/sig/p238.jpg

According to SHOT Business, SIG anticipates an MSRP of approximately $450 (yeah, right), and will be releasing it in a variety of configurations, with and without night sights, different grips, etc.

I can only hope and pray that SIG doesn't manage to screw this one up.

·
Administrator
75,467 Posts
Well, if Colt won't do it somebody else may as well. I just wonder if it's a licensed copy, or if Colt is going to get their panties in a bind like they did with Bushmaster over their M4.

·
Registered
110 Posts
DSK, I am not familiar with the Colt/Bushmaster dispute--did it involve use of the M-4 designation, and some sort of proprietary trademarks rights or the sort?

I wouldn't see why Sig, or anybody else, could not emulate the Mustang, as long as it is not "passed off" as a Colt product (wouldn't seem so with Sig on the slide.) Certainly, any patents have long since expired. Am I missing something? Thx, sdg

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
That's a great marketing move on Sig's part. I worked for Scott/McDougall (though prior to ther .380 days) and I couldn't believe it when Colt discontinued that series. IIRC they had something like 65 guns Mustangs in for work when Doug told me Colt quit making them.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Talk about left field!

Nice! Now if they'd only make a SAO 225!!!

·
Banned
2,125 Posts
That's a great marketing move on Sig's part. I worked for Scott/McDougall (though prior to ther .380 days) and I couldn't believe it when Colt discontinued that series. IIRC they had something like 65 guns Mustangs in for work when Doug told me Colt quit making them.
I commend you guys at that company for turning a 380 cal handgun into a perfect combat 380.I HATE 380's as a rule because of a personal experience with a handgun in that cal.But your products represent the only reliable 1911 (quality wise)380 clone out there.Your company (polished up)Colt's already fine handgun into something special.I passed on a used one ONLY because of my dislike for 380's.
I regret that choice.:(
DAT85

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I commend you guys at that company for turning a 380 cal handgun into a perfect combat 380.I HATE 380's as a rule because of a personal experience with a handgun in that cal.But your products represent the only reliable 1911 (quality wise)380 clone out there.Your company (polished up)Colt's already fine handgun into something special.I passed on a used one ONLY because of my dislike for 380's.
I regret that choice.:(
DAT85
Was it their 230 or 232? I shot each model ONCE. That's all I needed. I don't have overly large or meaty hands but the slide on both sliced me.

IMO, the bore axis is a bit TOO low!

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I looked at three Colt Mustangs at a local outdoor's shop today. One blued series 80 Mark IV, one stainless of the same designation, and a blued Lady's model with a golden engraved box around the roll marks on each side.

$800 each. Economy here is very poor, work is hard to find, and with the depleted post-Christmas funds I knew I couldn't swing one of them right now.

If I could freely spend that much I probably wouldn't have bought one anyway because that's just too high for me for a .380.

Something for a few hundred dollars less though and I'm game for the novelty of it, if nothing else :) .

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Now that I look at it some more, I have to agree with Body Armor Guy. It looks photoshopped. It also looks like Kimber made the frame.

It'd be nice to be a member of SIG forum but those elitists won't let me join because I only have a hotmail account. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yeah, I lurk there too. It is a real gun, not photoshopped. Its from the 2009 Dealer price list.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Thanks DAT85- You should have seen all the premium 5" 1911's we turned out. I'd jump at the chance to buy one.

Mac Scott (the Scott in Scott/McDougall) doesn't get the credit he deserves for the PPK's he built in the 80's with most of those custom features. He was truly about twenty years ahead of his time.

The Mustang craze hit a few years after I left, but I'll take a tiny piece of credit too. We were looking for the "next step" after the 1911's, and I built a 1903 Colt Pocket Auto with all the features you see on a Mustang. It had the full size black sights, a beveled magwell, lowered ejection port, and 40 lpi checkering on the frontstrap and triggerguard. That was a great shooting little gun- I wonder where it is now?

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Yeah, I lurk there too. It is a real gun, not photoshopped. Its from the 2009 Dealer price list.
The frame looks a helluva lot like this (except for the undercut on the triggerguard):

In all fairness, it might very well be photoshopped but the pistol itself is still going to be made. I bet they didn't really have one yet but with today's technology they could make a realistic pic of exactly what they're going to offer.

·
Registered
295 Posts
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd have one... if the authorities here allowed pistol in the
sub4" catergory. but i have been a major sig gsr fan since they sorted out their problems

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The frame looks a helluva lot like this:
That's because it is, just the same relationship as between a SIG GSR and a Colt 1911. Same exact weapon, simply made by different companies with different styling.

Personally, I like the ball-milled grip style, and have it on two Kimbers.

·
Registered
440 Posts
If it's real (because you saw it on the internets you know it's real, right? :biglaugh:) and it works I will gleefully purchase my first Sig.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My first reaction was that it was ugly... then I looked at it again, what I think is ugly are those darn grips. They look cheap and plastic. New grips on that thing would make the whole gun pretty darn nice. Make it into a head-turner.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I'm in for one!
I purchased a colt mustang (Govt 380)..the larger one..for my wife 2 years ago. One of her gal friends had one in blue and after trying a dozen different pistols, when my wife tried the mustang..she lowered her arm, turned to me and said "this is what I want".
getting my wife into a carry gun that SHE was enthused about and was shooting well...that didn't have a price tag for me..so after a bit of shopping I came across a 1989 satin nickle model from an estate sale..thing was like new..and I paid $700 for it..which, since I buy used pistols myself, until my recent kimber acquisition, was more than I had paid for any of my guns.
I've wanted one for myself ever since we got hers..but too much money for a 380 as my choice...heck I just got into a lightly used kimber eclipse ultra w/4 mags, in box like new/papers, holster, spare mag pouch for $850..but my wife's colt with just one mag and nuttin else.. $700!
so yeah..get back to a nice mustang size 380 in the $450 range..all over it!

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.