1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had SACS install a Dawson FO front sight on my Range Officer, but I wasn't overly pleased with the FO size. I was used to the slightly larger FO size on my M&P Pro series.

The Dawson is a fine sight, but was difficult to pick up at my indoor range due to the weird lighting it has and the Heine replacement rear having a .156 opening. (Unfortunately shooting land around here is non existent, so the only indoor range we have is where I shoot)

So I spoke with ACW about sights for my Baer UTC and got sidetracked talking about the RO sights. He recommended having a Novak FO sight fitted. So a week and a half ago I sent the slide off with a check and just got the slide back today. (Would have been Monday but our lovely USPS delivery got delayed for some reason).

First impressions are, ACW does very good work. The sight is fitted very well and is actually blended to the slide better than what SACS did. (This is not a knock against SACS as they do very good work as well). Communication, even on a simple job like this, was excellent. The Novak FO insert is huge compared to the Dawson, while this may make precise shooting hard, it should do just fine for my minute of barn accuracy ability.

Playing around the house at lunch today, it does seem that I am able to pick up the front sight better in lower/weird light conditions more so than the Dawson. I am hoping to get to the range sometime this week to see.

Please excuse the poor photo quality.

Dawson Front.

Novak Front.

The pictures don't really show how much better the Novak "looks" in the rear opening compared to the Dawson.

ACW will definitely be getting my Baer UTC for sights whenever I get some extra cash.

·
Registered
323 Posts
If you're happy, that's all that matters. I personally like black sights or a gold bead for indoor ranges. The FO being so large in this one becomes a distraction and makes seeing the top of the front blade very difficult. I like a sight like this for speed shooting steel outdoors since I don't have to worry about hitting inside the ten ring. I actually use the Dawson you took off because it works great outdoors, and let's me easily see the top of the blade indoors

It's all just personal preference for your shooting style.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Wait until we roll out our new Platinum Bead front sight. It'll be the "next big thing".

In this case, the OP has a .156" wide notch in his rear sight. It's basically a speed shootin' sight. Barring putting his stock adjustable rear back on, a bigger dot is the solution that makes sense. I love Dawson fiber optic sights, but they have to be mated with the right rear sight.

If you're happy, that's all that matters. I personally like black sights or a gold bead for indoor ranges. The FO being so large in this one becomes a distraction and makes seeing the top of the front blade very difficult. I like a sight like this for speed shooting steel outdoors since I don't have to worry about hitting inside the ten ring. I actually use the Dawson you took off because it works great outdoors, and let's me easily see the top of the blade indoors

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Grew up shooting using the dot not the blade, probably couldn't learn to use the blade if I had to. I personally hate black plain front or black on black sights as the RO had from the factory. I speed shoot more often than slow shooting for groups with this pistol.

The few times I have been able to shoot steel, a larger dot has been advantageous for me on other pistols compared to the Dawson.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Wait until we roll out our new Platinum Bead front sight. It'll be the "next big thing".

In this case, the OP has a .156" wide notch in his rear sight. It's basically a speed shootin' sight. Barring putting his stock adjustable rear back on, a bigger dot is the solution that makes sense. I love Dawson fiber optic sights, but they have to be mated with the right rear sight.

Point taken, but I was actually only commenting on the front sight style by purpose. I alway match the blade width to the rear notch, well almost always anyway. All my fixed sight guns use a wide 10-8 U notch rear with either a gold bead or big FO front. My target guns have varying degrees of front blade width and rear opening depending on use- slow fire bullseye, etc.

So does the platinum bead gather bore light than the 24k coated SDM bead? I'm certain I'd like it if it does.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Grew up shooting using the dot not the blade, probably couldn't learn to use the blade if I had to. I personally hate black plain front or black on black sights as the RO had from the factory. I speed shoot more often than slow shooting for groups with this pistol.

The few times I have been able to shoot steel, a larger dot has been advantageous for me on other pistols compared to the Dawson.

Right, it's all about purpose. For close up steel targets and IDPA type stuff I too prefer a big FO and the rear doesn't matter since I'm only looking at the front sight anyway.

The difference is when I have to quickly adjust to a target 25 yards out, in which case I prefer just using the skinny blade with small FO and proper rear for the entire match. With the skinny target sights it's easier for me to slow down a little to get a proper sight pic, and hit the far targets while basically point-shooting the close ones. Using the bigger FO on far targets makes me slow waaay down since I don't have the skill of the pros, yet.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Gold beads are a letdown for me. (just me personally) We use SDM's beads. They are made from 14k gold, not coated...that way you don't have to worry about polishing the gold off. I just feel that the gold tends to look a little dull compared to the black background of the sight post. The platinum bead has more contrast and shines just as well. Ours is .080 like Wilson's gold bead so that you can actually see the sight post instead of the bead overwhelming the post.

Point taken, but I was actually only commenting on the front sight style by purpose. I alway match the blade width to the rear notch, well almost always anyway. All my fixed sight guns use a wide 10-8 U notch rear with either a gold bead or big FO front. My target guns have varying degrees of front blade width and rear opening depending on use- slow fire bullseye, etc.

So does the platinum bead gather bore light than the 24k coated SDM bead? I'm certain I'd like it if it does.

·
Premium Member
5,366 Posts
Gold beads are a letdown for me. (just me personally) We use SDM's beads. They are made from 14k gold, not coated...that way you don't have to worry about polishing the gold off. I just feel that the gold tends to look a little dull compared to the black background of the sight post. The platinum bead has more contrast and shines just as well. Ours is .080 like Wilson's gold bead so that you can actually see the sight post instead of the bead overwhelming the post.
I am very interested! I can see in my mind how well it will do. Great idea Rob!

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
In all seriousness it's great. After having backfilled the larger opening inside the sight, I then layed the bead you see and it actually shaped as a sphere. Better lucky than good. I am a no sights / front sight only style shooter (pistols only) thus the absence of the rear sight. I went through an insanely crazy process to zero my sight left to right and it actually worked. This was done from 10% necessity and 90% "I wonder if". Maybe about 200 rounds through it, oily rag wipedowns and it's doing just fine. Machinist/gunsmith friend of mine has offered to mill, whatever the term is, a " blank" to fill in the rear dovetail. Maybe someday. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
We are having prototypes made right now. It should be very quick. It's my belief that this will work fantastically on black/blued slide pistols. Not so much on chrome or stainless.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts