1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I have been a member since 2010, I have only read stuff and kept my mouth shut. Yesterday I got an email from the site with some post highlights. One was a thread about MIM parts. I wrote a rather long post explaining some of my experience in the mfg of MIM parts even though none were ever made for firearms. I went to check on the thread today and it had been killed so I still don't have a first post!
Well, as long as it is approved, this will be my first!
Several years ago I bought a RIA 45 base model pistol. I forget what it is called but it has the flat black finish and fixed sights. I think it was $399 at Buds with free shipping. It has been a great gun with zero failures of any kind but I am wanting to work on precision a bit more and the stock fixed sights suck so I am here looking for preferences and links to buy something better. I'm not looking to spend $2-300 for better sights, more like under $100??? As long as no machining is needed for install, I feel I can handle that aspect of it just fine.

Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
3,058 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Here are the Fusion sites. Twenty pages of different types, configurations. I also have a Govt. Model .38 super I will be changing sights on. As mity2 said you want Model 70 series staked front. I don't know about not having to do a little filing/mill work on the rears. THERE IS NO STANDARD CUT between gun manufacturers and sight makers.

http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/fusionfirearms/the-Sights/s/1/Categories

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Ya you might need to do some "slight" filing with hand file or whatever. But that's with any sights on any cut.
I have yet to get a sight that went in the gun without slight work

It'll be easier than installing Novak sight on Novak "like" RIA Tactical sights. that's for sure

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
THERE IS NO STANDARD CUT between gun manufacturers and sight makers.
actually you'll see the GI cut listed often as "standard" cut
which is .330 x 65 degree
Which is what the OP needs

if you mean there are a 101 different sight cuts, you're right about that

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had XS Big Dot sights installed on mine, same as my Colt. The gunsmith said the RIA sights were extremely tight and difficult to remove. Food for thought.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I had XS Big Dot sights installed on mine, same as my Colt. The gunsmith said the RIA sights were extremely tight and difficult to remove. Food for thought.
ya I had XS bigdot on my CS recently. My gunsmith said that it was some of the tightest fitting sight he ever dealt with(next to older Springfield XD's, which are notorious for deforming a steel punch)

It was all worth the effort tho. I love my Big dot and .157" U notch rear!

·
Registered
50 Posts
A friend of mine "did it himself" on his daughters pistol. Scar on the slide is a continuous reminder that there are gunsmiths for a reason.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just put a set of the fusion sights on my 1911 GI they are amazing. Total cost was about 70 bucks 50 for the sights and 20 for the gunsmith to install them. Took him a total of 10 min to do. Now I don't loose my front sight any more :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts