1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to install adjustable sights on my RIA 1911A1. What are my best options? There aren't any smiths in my area that I trust. Are any DIY options feasible?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Unless you're set up with the machinery to dovetail a slide, I would think that a DIY solution would be more likely if you found an adjustable rear to fit the factory dovetail. I don't know for sure if the RIA shares the dovetail dimmensions of the original govt. model. There seem to be a few adjustable rears for the govt. dovetail, though they may also require staking a taller front sight.

As a fellow RIA owner, I'm curious about this as well. Anyone certain how the RIA dovetail stacks up to the original?

Edit: Most of what I've read says it is a G.I.-spec dovetail, but I haven't a G.I. gun to which to compare it to be sure.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I had Meprolight night sights for the "Govt Model" installed on my RIA and the rear dovetail fit perfectly. However, the RIA uses a thinner front tenon so the Meprolight front had to be thinned to fit. HTH...
Tomac

·
Registered
71 Posts
Triggerbender said:
Put Kings hardball sights on mine
Were they the fixed sights as depicted on this catalog page?

Does anyone have experience with the adjustable rear depicted on that same page? It is one of the adjustable rear sights I was thinking of which would appear to work in a government dovetail.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yep, those are the ones used them on my Norinco and RIA,102 black easy to see and just the right air gap on either side of the front blade for my old eyes. Sorry no experience with the adj.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts