1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beyond a doubt the wilson combat battle sights work well for fast acquisition, it is also well known that in day time shooting conditions the tritium sights fall short, while the fiber optic sights do great.

I picked up an M&P viking tactics edition just to try out the sights. They have fiber optic sights on top, with tritium sights just below them.

At night all you see are the tritium sights, and in daylight all you pick up are the fiber optic rods.

Is anything like this in the works as a future sight option? Its really the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
I liked them the first time I used them, but the front sight tenon is tapered, and that started giving my eyes a fit. I know there's probably a reason, but after using the VTAC idea a bit I think I might prefer either/or.

It would be an interesting idea, though (if it isn't patented). I bet Wilson could do it right.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
bjeffv,

As a self-confessed M&P fanboy I took a look at the sights on the Viking Tactics edition and found them too "busy" looking for me. Also, as one "set" of sights is located above the other that means one is going to be more accurate than the other.

In addition, according to the M&P forum there seems to be some reliability issues with the VT edition. This was about a year or so ago, I don't know if S&W got that sorted out yet or not. Some of the forum members were speculating it was due to the finish. I'm just passing this on to you, I have no personal experience with this edition. My own M&P is the standard 9mm FS with 17 round mags, no thumb safety, no mag safety and no "Hillary lock". In well over 100 rounds it's been 100% reliable with anything I've ever fed it.

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The sights will technically have two different points of impact, but when shooting a handgun I think the difference is negligible. I don't think the sights are too busy, as in the lighting conditions dictate which version you see. I literally can't see the fiber optic rods in the dark, and I only see the the fiber optic sites when its light out.

Talking about the gun is a little off topic, I mostly wanted to just talk about the potential for sights like these to he offered on future Wilson builds.

To talk about the m&p briefly though: love the grip size, has a great trigger, and the slide finish is very tough (its taking the plastic from my black hawk holster off). I ran 350 rounds the first day and I didn't have any issues. Accuracy is acceptable, but not great. Its definitely a 15 yards and less gun.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm actually moving in the opposite direction and thinking either a FO tube, tritium insert or a gold bead in the front sight ONLY is the way to go.

It's been beaten to death here already, but if you can't see what you're shooting you should illuminate and ID it. The ambient light around the pistol should be enough to pick up the front sight and I don't want my eyes pulling focus towards any markings on the rear sight.

That said, I respect everyone's preferences. Personal thing for sure.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I'm actually moving in the opposite direction and thinking either a FO tube, tritium insert or a gold bead in the front sight ONLY is the way to go.

It's been beaten to death here already, but if you can't see what you're shooting you should illuminate and ID it. The ambient light around the pistol should be enough to pick up the front sight and I don't want my eyes pulling focus towards any markings on the rear sight.

That said, I respect everyone's preferences. Personal thing for sure.
BigHat,

I'm absolutely in full agreement with you! Back when I could see much better, I liked completely black crisp sights, front and rear. Never cared much for the plastic inserts in front revolver sights. Since my primary use for handgun sights these days is for personal protection, I find a set of tritium sights to be very useful. I never cared for the three white dot sights either, and with a bit of time, I came to appreciate the benefit of a single tritium dot on the front sight. I also came to prefer a "U" notch in the rear black sight.

My X-Tac came with a green fiber optic sight mounted on the front with the battlesight on the rear, and I found it to be a most excellent arrangement, except for during the hours of darkness. With a hand held light, I can make do with it then, but one does not always have a flashlight at hand, in spite of good intentions to do so. A well made tritium dot, especially one with a green or white circle around the dot, does pretty well in daylight hours, and the tritium dot allows proper orientation of that front sight during the hours of darkness.

Black rear sight with the front sight of your choice and the one which meets your needs best is IMO the absolute best choice for me. I am pleased to hear that you agree. It's always nice to have someone validate your own choice, I think! Certainly not all will agree, but then not all have the same needs for the way they use their particular weapon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts