1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not quite sure how it happened. Perhaps it was a “suggested topic” I clicked or something like that, but I wound up in the Colt sub forum, which I don’t believe I’ve ever visited. I was reading a thread about a new model Colt Custom Carry Limited that I had never heard of, but upon learning it was a collaboration with Stan Chen, I couldn’t resist.

I passed my umpteenth background check after three days (I’ve never waited that long!) and brought it home yesterday evening. I am not sure when I will get to shoot it due to never ending fire bans. I am quite certain the danger has passed, but if I’m wrong, I’d burn an entire mountain...including my home, so I’ll likely wait. I’ve only pulled the trigger indoors 25 times. That was to qualify for my carry permission slip. Never again. I feel for folks with no other option.

Anyways, my question. This new pistol is finished in smoke gray ion bond. How does this stuff wear? I had Dan Wesson build me a custom bobtail with a blued slide because I really like the look of a work worn blued finish. Trouble is, the holster I had made is stitched in such a manner that it has worn a rather unsightly mark where it rests against the slide. Will ion bond wear in this manner or is it more like a duty treat/armor tuff/name your hard hat type finish that only fails if the wrong lube touches it?

I included a few pictures of my custom bobtail to show the wear and the holster. Of course pictures of the new pistol too! Grips will be gone in short order. I’ve never grown accustomed to the wild VZ stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Congrats on the new gun! It's a beauty, for sure. As I understand it, Ionbond is very durable and I don't think you'll see leather wear.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! Was hoping (only sort of) that I wouldn’t have to get a new holster too.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Not quite sure how it happened. Perhaps it was a “suggested topic” I clicked or something like that, but I wound up in the Colt sub forum, which I don’t believe I’ve ever visited. I was reading a thread about a new model Colt Custom Carry Limited that I had never heard of, but upon learning it was a collaboration with Stan Chen, I couldn’t resist.

I passed my umpteenth background check after three days (I’ve never waited that long!) and brought it home yesterday evening. I am not sure when I will get to shoot it due to never ending fire bans. I am quite certain the danger has passed, but if I’m wrong, I’d burn an entire mountain...including my home, so I’ll likely wait. I’ve only pulled the trigger indoors 25 times. That was to qualify for my carry permission slip. Never again. I feel for folks with no other option.

Anyways, my question. This new pistol is finished in smoke gray ion bond. How does this stuff wear? I had Dan Wesson build me a custom bobtail with a blued slide because I really like the look of a work worn blued finish. Trouble is, the holster I had made is stitched in such a manner that it has worn a rather unsightly mark where it rests against the slide. Will ion bond wear in this manner or is it more like a duty treat/armor tuff/name your hard hat type finish that only fails if the wrong lube touches it?

I included a few pictures of my custom bobtail to show the wear and the holster. Of course pictures of the new pistol too! Grips will be gone in short order. I’ve never grown accustomed to the wild VZ stuff.

<snip> -_;
Beautiful!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Well, for starters, you should get a Real Milt Sparks VM2, not a rip - er, knock-off .

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, for starters, you should get a Real Milt Sparks VM2, not a rip - er, knock-off .
It is a TT Gunleather holster, so, while not the most trendy of the leatherworkers available, it is far from a knock off.

I did consider Milt Sparks when I was shopping and, after reviewing their offerings again this morning, I am quite certain I would be left with the same wear issue with one of their rigs simply because I would have ordered one with the exotic skin stitched in precisely the same place. Maybe Milt has a different way of stitching, I don’t know, but I think a holster without the addition of the exotic skin is the solution...whether made by Milt Sparks, TT, or anyone in between.

To the others, compliments appreciated!

·
Registered
11,792 Posts
Nice score Lug Nuts! What an amazing pistol, it’s high on my lust list.

IonBond is pretty tough. It’ll eventually happen, but I suspect it’ll take a long time before you start to see wear from using a leather holster. Tim makes fine holsters, belts too, TTG takes a backseat to no one.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
That's certainly a beautiful pistol, and TT Gun leather is IMO at the very least, the equal of current prodction Sparks.

Here's my personal experience with Ion Bond; my black "Nitron" finished Sigs which are actually Ion Bond, have stood up to wear extraordinarily well.

There was however, an unresolveable problem with the Grey PVD finish the company employed on its premium Legion line of pistols to the extent that the company has substituted a Caracote finish instead.

That being said, I'm not certain that the Grey Legion PVD finish was actually applied by Ion Bond, as was the black "Nitron".

Good luck with your new 1911.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
My Milt Sparks VM holsters have Sharkskin stitched on. The stitching has not worn any of my pistolas.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Milt Sparks VM holsters have Sharkskin stitched on. The stitching has not worn any of my pistolas.
Curious if your pistols are blued?

I learned a bit about holsters and the leather world yesterday and understand your first comment better now.

·
Super Moderator
14,324 Posts
Curious if your pistols are blued?

I learned a bit about holsters and the leather world yesterday and understand your first comment better now.
Mine are blued, and other than the muzzle end of the slide and the contact point at the trigger guard on the frame, very little holster wear anywhere else. I've been using Sparks' VM2's for a long time.

Reactions: Lug Nuts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Ditto. Blued custom Colts, Armor-tuff finish on the various Wilson Combat pistols I own... In regards to exotic leather embellishments, sometimes, less is more.

Reactions: Lug Nuts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Andy, This was actually my first thought once I saw what was going on. The dang thing is inside my pants and supposed to be hidden for crying out loud.

Appreciate your replies.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very nice purchase, hope you get a chance to shoot it soon.
Soon. I did see a sign while out stalking deer that said where an outdoor range that is open is located. It will not be the back yard, but it will be something. I will have to go back to find the sign though, because it was snowing like hell and I thought for sure the fire ban would be short lived, so I paid it little attention. Things have been so bad the hunting season was cancelled in three neighboring counties.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts