1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a new SLE today. I've heard goods things about this Kimber and wanted to know if it would be worth a G30 and some more money?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have a G30 and a SLE. I wouldn't trade either of them for the other. They are different and distinct. I like both and would not want to give up either.

·
Premium Member
3,423 Posts
No Way!! Send me that guys address and I'll set him straight. :)
Actually, there a limited edition, Series 1, and have a collection value. More to some than others. To me, brand new, unfired, in the box with all the papers, about $750 - $800.
Hope that helps you.....Sam

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it's cheaper the $800, plus I feel I can always get another G30 where the SLE is hard to find.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Just to put it in perspective, I wouldn't take $1,000 for my SLE. It has a trigger job, reliability package, Novak nite sites, new extractor all done by Novaks. Also has Spegel grips and it shoots very good.

But it is not a collector's item. I shoot it.

Now the G30 is an OK $500.00 gun. It is accurate and reliable. Both serve a purpose.

Maybe I should sell the ProCarry? (This is not an offer to sell)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have to agree. My SLE is an excellant weapon. Other than changing grips I have done nothing to mine. It has been 100% reliable. It has about 3k rounds through it with only preventative maintenance changes of the recoil spring. The original purchase price was $639 about two years ago.

If you opt not to trade or buy I would really appreciate some contact info for the seller.

This is not an offer to sell a firearm or frame:D

·
Premium Member
20,435 Posts
I've been searching for a LNIB SLE for two years, and just got lucky this last week. They are rare. If you found a new one, congratulations. If you do not buy it, please PM some of us for the chance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well should I get it? I like the feel of the SLE over the G30 plus I can custom the SLE the way "I" want it. Need help. I'm in school and money is hard right to come by now, but this deal seems real good. Help

·
Premium Member
20,435 Posts
Absolutely buy the SLE. They're almost impossible to find and are a great pistol. You can find the Glock anywhere anytime.

·
Premium Member
3,423 Posts
What AZ said. Plus, if finances dictate, you should have no trouble getting your money back out of the SLE. But be warned, they are harder to sell than to buy (as in it's difficult to part with them). Good luck in your decision......Sam

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I just got my SLE just back from McDougal's, getting checkered and some other little cosmetic stuff, like ambi-safety.

Man, I liked it a lot before, and it looks twice as good now. Shoots great, very reliable, looks great. Just a great little gun.

What is a G30 anyway? No, I'm serious, I'm guessing it's a Glock...?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I think the full model name is "Pro Carry SLE", as it's just a "Pro Carry" with a stainless frame, rather than aluminum alloy.

I think it's currently available as the "Pro Carry HD II".

Personally, I prefer the alloy frame, but mine's a "Pro CDP".

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
G30 is a Glock.

SLE is "Special Law Enforcement"

SLE is "Special Limited Edition"

SLE could be anything else you want to fit. I have heard that they were a special edition of the Pro Carry with the Stainless frame for a show. There were only a thousand or so made. Who knows what is really true!

All of Kimber's are special. They make them for a few months and then introduce another model.

They should have stuck with the original custom classic and made it into the best 1911 on the market. All these new models is for the birds.

I have a custom stainless and the Pro Carry SLE, both before the II series, and I am happy with them. My last 2 1911's were Colt 70 Series.

And oh yes, my G30.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Kimber's web-site a couple years ago called it the Stainless Limited Edition. They used to have an archive of recent Limited Editions, by model year. I don't know if this one is still on it, it's from either 1999 or 2000. I bought mine new in September of 2000.

The only Pro Carry models before that were alloy frame and stainless top. This one has a stainless frame and top.

They made about 850 to 875 or so, nobody seems to have an "exact" number.

Like several other "limited editions" from Kimber, it was popular enough they just made it a regular model.

The current incarnation is called the Pro Carry HD II.

·
Premium Member
3,423 Posts
Here's a copy of an email I received from Kimber after requesting some information. I've sent several requests for information in the last few months and always received an almost immediate reply. It's a real pleasure having this kind of customer service. Anyway, this should answer your questions....Sam

Sam,

Yes this is the Stainless Limited Edition pistol, there were 500 of these pistols produced.

Kimber Mfg., Inc.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2003 2:14 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject:

I recently purchased a Pro Carry SLE. I understand this was a limited edition. Could you tell me how many were made? Does the SLE stand for Stainless Limited Edition?

Thanks....Sam

·
Premium Member
20,435 Posts
Damn, I KNEW I should've bought both those in South Dakota!

·
Premium Member
3,423 Posts
I'd say don't get in a hurry, put a few hundred rounds through it first. You may find that it's fine as is. If not you should get a better idea what you want to do to it. Also, do a lot of reading on this and other forums and choose your gunsmith carefully. You don't want some hacker screwing up your beautiful new pistol. My 2 cents.........Sam

1 - 20 of 28 Posts