1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
I was not a fan of the huge printed banner, seemed...IDK cheap and gaudy, but whatever form follows function and so long as the gun works. This I like MUCH better

·
Registered
230 Posts
I own the old stamped slide - I like the new one better

:cool:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I like that - how did you remove the white lettering?

·
Registered
530 Posts

I didn't, thats exactly how it came.
It's a tactical slide that Armscor fitted to a GI frame for me after a so-called "gunsmith" ruined the original GI slide trying to mill a frontsight dovetail in it, but the original slide was marked the same way. I just got notice today that my Compact has shipped. I'm hoping for the new style logo, but I can live with the old banner......for awhile...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,058 Posts

That's how they used to come. Engraved, without silver inlay.
Subtle, and tasteful. Im not sure why they changed it in the first place.

I hated the billboard. But once I found the way to silence it with blue pen, then I actually ended up liking it.

Unlike many, I have not warmed up to the new logo yet

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
That old slide logo looks like an real, honest-to-God rollmark; made by rolling a drum of very hard steel with a reversed, raised design over the slide under very high pressure. This is the technique that has been used for years (gave the Colt Navy it's name in fact) and can only be removed by subtracting metal (most often done) or adding it (weld then grind). The bright billboard on recent Rocks seems to resemble a silk-screening of a Ceracoat or Melanite-like material on the Parkerized slide. I imagine it would be cheaper than the steel-roller for a manufacturer to use. I have the logo suppressed on all three of my Rocks because it just struck me like putting whitewalls on a full-house Corvette.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
My 38 Super has the Big Banner/No white, Roll mark. I think the symbol at the rear is cheesy. Wy not small font like a 1940's vintage Remington-Rand 1911, or early Colt.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My RIA came with the "banner" on the whole slide. Bought some $6 Perma Blue and rubbed it over the letters with a q-tip 2-3 times and could literally watch the writing disappear!

·
Registered
804 Posts
My RIA came with the "banner" on the whole slide. Bought some $6 Perma Blue and rubbed it over the letters with a q-tip 2-3 times and could literally watch the writing disappear!
So do you have to reapply the Perma Blue every now and then, or is it a one time application?

·
Registered
804 Posts
I don't. Seems permanent...
Does really good job toning down the bright banner.
Thanks. I like the toned down look, but since I have not received mine yet, I'm not sure which logo it will ship with. I guess depending on the mfg. date it might have the new one?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I have some with the old Roll Mark, some with, the White Roll Mark, none with the newer Roll Mark, at the rear of the slide.......YET...:rofl:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Rock Island Armory, the world’s largest seller of 1911 pistols, has introduced a new look for their entire line of popular handguns.
since when is RI "the world’s largest seller of 1911 pistols" Kimber sells twice what RI sells.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Armscor sold over 83,000 pistols in 2012 in the USA alone, trying for 100,000 in 2013. RIA sells pistols to more 60 countries on 6 Continents. they have the largest sales of any other Co.( just look it up)
how many Kimbers have been sold in the USA this yr?????:scratch:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Armscor/Rock Island Armory sells 1911's in 63 countries around the world. Armscor sells it's 1911's under many other brand names. They sell under the Citidel name, Taylor & Co., High Standard, and various others. I assure you even Kimber does not dispute that Armscor produces the most 1911s of any manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Armscor sold over 83,000 pistols in 2012 in the USA alone, trying for 100,000 in 2013. RIA sells pistols to more 60 countries on 6 Continents. they have the largest sales of any other Co.( just look it up)
We really need to get a dealer in Antarctica, then we have all 7 continents. We could then really say Rock Island owns World sales.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
since when is RI "the world’s largest seller of 1911 pistols" Kimber sells twice what RI sells.
Kimber sells only in US, and VERY limited number outside of US.
RIA sells all over the world.

No kidding. Every Kimber they sell, RIA must sell like 100?

They sell under the Citidel name, Taylor & Co., High Standard, and various others.
I saw one of them today at the shop, and was wondering if they are RIA...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts