1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today in mail arrived a LNIB pair of Craig Spegel coco bolo grips I found on GB last week. Grips are like new for being used, really. I put them on my 1967 Israeli T I've had a few years that Novak's blessed for me. I compared them to my other 2 Novak Spec Op BHP's that have had Spegel grips on them for over 20 years. These new grips are signed by Craig (2011) on the right panel, and have C.A.S. stamped on the other panel.

I have to admit they feel a tad, and I mean a tad bit thicker than I'm used to for Spegel wood grips. It's no big deal since I understand these grips are hand made and you'll find variations in every pair. My first pair of Spegel's in coco bolo have to be the thinnest wood grips I've ever handled. Then my Spegel Delrin's come in a close second with my newly acquired one's.

In the three pictures note that the BHP's with the stippling are my oldest Hi-Power's with Spegel grips. I believe I'll be very happy with these grips for years to come.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Three beauties but I like the ring hammer better and of the three also those grips. What a beautiful combination. Congrats on some really nice toys.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Three beauties but I like the ring hammer better and of the three also those grips. What a beautiful combination. Congrats on some really nice toys.
I agree. Still, I'd love to have any one of them! :rock:

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Id. The ring hammer does offer a bit of class I like more than the spur hammer's.

Very nice collection and pics! Thx
Thank you batman16!

Congrats on those grips wags. Good to see you around here. Bet it is too cold for two wheels.:)
Thanks chuntaro. I didn't really need the new grips, but then again I did. :) Yep, the Road King has been up on it's stand since late October. It's killing me man! My Sturgis 2014 vacation will be here before I know it, hopefully. :rock:

I agree. Still, I'd love to have any one of them! :rock:
Thanks Burgs!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
yes...good to see many of you posting...those grips are beautiful...

Bill

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Slow to the party Wags, just wanted to add my compliments on all 3 pistols...utilitarian yet classy at the same time, VERY nice :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Spegel grips

Yes they are the best. I waited until most of the talk quieted down...didn't want to steal the thread right away but forgive me if someone is upset with this question;

Who did the beautiful stippling? I've only seen something like that on Novak's BHP's. I have a HP I'll like new sights, ringed hammer, action job, stippling like you have and a very mild reduction in sharp edges.. Oh, a thumb safety like Novak sells (don't want much huh!).

I've been told Novak will not do a pick and choose modification pistol but will only do his full house jobs. Anyone else know if this is true and if so any recs for a smith who can do that unique checkering?
Thanks,
Bill
[email protected]

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yes they are the best. I waited u, most of the talk quieted down...didn't want to steal the thread right away but forgive me if someone is upset with this question;

Who did the beautiful stippling? I've only seen something like that on Novak's BHP's. I have a HP I'll like new sights, ringed hammer, action job, stippling like you have and a very mild reduction in sharp edges.. Oh, a thumb safety like Novak sells (don't want much huh!).

I've been told Novak will not do a pick and choose modification pistol but will only do his full house jobs. Anyone else know if this is true and if so any recs for a smith who can do that unique checkering?
Thanks,
Bill
[email protected]
Bill, Kurt Wickman did the stippling on both of the shown Hi-Powers in early 90`s when he was Manager at Novaks. Best of my knowledge they will do individual modifications.

·
Premium Member
15,713 Posts
'I have to admit they feel a tad, and I mean a tad bit thicker than I'm used to for Spegel wood grips'

Craig's grips are beautiful but I wish he would make some without the 'palm swell'.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts