1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently had the chance to shoot my brother in law's new Springfield "loaded" in stainless(5") and in .45 cal, It shot to point of aim out to 15-20 yards, very nice. Able to pop the melon quite easy at that distance, Only problem found was a rough burr on slide stop notch on slide which he sanded down with fine grit sandpaper.

Is this characteristic of all new loaded Springfieds? I bought a Springfield in '95 that had to go back to factory twice for throating and feeding problems. The gun ended up being stolen.

I really like what they have to offer currently. Am leaning towards a TRP but will go with a stainless loaded 5" or champion,

Would appreciate any advice you have out there.

------------------
Bobbeh

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hi bobbeh.I picked up my first Springfield the Thursday before Easter.It is a 2001 model 5" Parkerized loaded.It is currently at the factory.My gun had SHARP cocking serrations.So sharp that the Parkerizing was coming off of them.I know that over time Parkerizing will wear, but brand new?The gun shoots great and is a very nice looking pistol.My friend just picked up a Trophy Match and it too has sharp serrations.Not quite as sharp as mine but they are sharp.His gun is stainless so there aren't any finish problems.Springfield customer service is excellent.They were not happy about my problem and said to send it back immediately.When I mentioned I had an IDPA match coming up they said if you want to send it back after the shooting season is over that it would be ok with them.I decided to send it back right away before I really get attached to this pistol.I have heard that the more recent Springfield's do not have the sharp serrations.My gun was a 2000 model that they retrofitted into a 2001.Springfield won't confirm that but you can tell.The other edges on the gun are fine by the way.Springfield makes a nice product.There was a minor problem with mine but it will be rectified.Buy the Springfield.You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I've really enjoyed my 2000 Champion. Never had a problem so far and it's a excuse the pun "blast to shoot". Mine also has a few pinhead size spots of parkerizing off of mine right out of the case. That doesn't make me very happy but it doesn't seem to have gotten much worse and I'm sure Springfield would take care of it but I really don't want to be without it long enough to send it back. I think the new Springfields are pretty good. Compared to my Kimber they're not quite as smooth or "refined" but was also over 300 dollars cheaper. I don't think you could go wrong with one.
Regards SonnyD

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Shooter ready and SonnyD for the advice. Springfield does seem to be the line I am looking for. As soon as I get mine, I will report back.

------------------
Bobbeh

·
Registered
259 Posts
I purchased a new SA 9mm a few months ago. It had so many burrs that I cut my fingers in three places the first time I disassembled for cleaning. The slide then locked up on the frame during re-assemble due to burrs. I finally got it off the frame and with very fine sandpaper gave it a good "deburring". After this I have had zero problems. It has handled everything I have fed it without a single malfunction.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I bought a new "loaded" Springfield 1911-A1 last month. Very nice looking firearm. Took it to the range and found a few problems with it. The first one was that about every 20 rounds or so, you would pull the trigger and the hammer would not fall. The second problem was when taking the pistol apart the frame to slide fit was so tight it would not come apart without great effort. Since I have access to an excellent gunsmith, I had him look at it. He deburred the gun which solved the hammer problem.(it was in the grip safety) and lapped the slide which had started to gall. Had night sights and a Wilson Combat trigger put on and I now have a great shooting firearm. I have owned enough Springfield 1911's to know that they are great guns. This just seemed like a fluke.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just bought a stainless custom loaded 2001 and it seems to be a pretty tight gun, but I'm having a few problems with it also. Looks like an extractor problem. I will be sending it back to Springfield to fix that and get a little custom work done. I think you take your chances with any handgun, especially in the 1911 flavor, but at least with Springfield they take care of you. I have heard nothing but good things about thier customer service, unlike Kimber.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
JMG,,,
If you dont mind, what was the cost to have your gun repaired. I'm trying to get an idea of what the going rate is in different areas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts