1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Springfield LW Operator Range Report
I've been in a quandary for several weeks re. what to buy as a carry piece after selling my Glock 23 last week. It was/is a fine weapon but I can no longer manipulate the trigger and shoot to my satisfaction, (arthritis etc.).

I considered SW M&P .45 and Sig 220 as I wanted to step up to .45 ACP for a number of reasons, all of which this forum is more familiar with than I. Here follows the story of the first outing with my new (slightly used, as new w/ box-stuff etc. $850) Springfield LW Operator.

I took my L Baer PII w/ 1 1/2" with me as the "gold standard" re. accuracy.

The range was indoor and nice. All inconsistencies were due to my lack of skill - no excuses.

I shot at 10 yds, 15 and 25. All drills were done standing two handed.

Left is SFLWO - right LB. 10 yds. x 10 shots w/ CCI 230 FMJ.

This is NOT what I expected. 14 shots at 15 yds. tighter from the SF than 8 shots from
my Baer.

Left target is 200 gr SWC - 25 yds. This matched the LB group I shot. The Right target is Aguila, 16 rounds fired as fast as I could fire and acquire/reaquire a sight picture and included a speed reload. I tried to time it but with the other shooters my timer wouldn't work.

I've now carried the SFLWO for a whole two days. Impressions - Fit and finish are incredible for a production pistol. Trigger has no creep and a crisp break. There is a two piece full length guide rod, and I'm unsure what to do with it, -old school says plunger/spring - others say leave it. The front sight is narrow enough for a good view/sight picture, although the Novak style rear may be replaced with H. Yam's 10-8 style in black.

So - it was the correct choice for me. Light weight, accurate beyond my expectations, and RELIABLE.
I fired 250 rounds so far with no problems of any kind, using the two SF 7 shot mags or any one of 8 or 10 shot Wilson mags I own. I shot a variety of 230 FMJ, Fed. JHP and 200 grn. SWC. The only comment might be the much greater effort in seating the mags. We're talking hitting vs. sliding to seat them. Also the profile of the safeties are very abrupt. I will round them a bit to make a "thumb high" grip more comfortable.

My greatest surprise was how accurate it was relative to my LB - which I love. Also - I thought recoil would be more with 11 oz. weight difference, but I just do not notice it.
In all I love it!
Now if I can just get my act together in time for the next Cumberland Tactics training course with maestro RandyCain.http://www.guntactics.com/

·
Registered
126 Posts
Really appreciate the review and pics! Nice job!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An update - pistol is still stock at the 500 round point. No malfunctions of any kind; FMJ, JHP and lead SWC have been fed through her. Only maintenance is I lubed her once.
Just after this picture I drifted the sights to the right. I have no "tool" other than a small mallet and brass drift punches; needless to say it was frustrating - too much one way or the other for about 10 minuets. I think I've got it right - just ran out of ammo for another pic.

I've been shooting Fed. JHP which shoot higher than I like; am next going to experiment with several mfg. personal defense loads and I'll post results.

I read that Springfield sights these at 25 yds w/ 6 o'clock hold, but I want POA/POI at that distance. May have to change front sight? Will see.

The small holes were from my SW 41.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts