1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The blade section has seemed a little slow lately, so I thought I'd throw up a pic of my latest pocket buddies. A long awaited ZT0562CF, and a Spyderco ParaMilitary 2.

The ZT is pretty perfect in every way. Fit, finish, and just durn purdy. Perfect detent, fast firing, and solid lockup. Everything I had expected and nothing less. The early models were advertised with M390 blades, but changed to 204P. From what I understand (not much ;) ), they are pretty similar in composition.

And because I've heard so much love for the PM2, decided I needed to try one out for myself. And I gotta say, it really is a great knife. After an afternoon of my ocd flicking, the blade rolls out smooth and fast, and falls right back to bed when the lock it plucked. Also lovin' the compression (top liner ?) lock.

I haven't had the chance to beat the edges and resharpen yet. But expect both to be great performers.

So enough of my yakkin'.....

·
Registered
963 Posts
Awesome! I want to add a ZT like that to my ZT collection. Big ZT fan, I love their assisted knives.

I see your helmet in that photo. I am curious if you carry your guns and knives on your body when riding? I do on occasion, but have decided it's easier and probably a little safer (in the event of a wreck) to throw them in my small tank back. I am usually wearing full leathers that are tight fitting, so I can't always have them comfortably on my body anyway.

I have never been down on the pavement, but have ate it plenty in the dirt. But I have never had a gun or knife on my body to determine the full effects.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome! I want to add a ZT like that to my ZT collection. Big ZT fan, I love their assisted knives.

I see your helmet in that photo. I am curious if you carry your guns and knives on your body when riding? I do on occasion, but have decided it's easier and probably a little safer (in the event of a wreck) to throw them in my small tank back. I am usually wearing full leathers that are tight fitting, so I can't always have them comfortably on my body anyway.

I have never been down on the pavement, but have ate it plenty in the dirt. But I have never had a gun or knife on my body to determine the full effects.
Thanks Valkman.

And AXE, I do carry everyday (currently an S&W PC Roundbutt, and a few knives), and ride every day possible (which translates into dry roads and above 50 deg). I figure, if I get into a wreck, a gun indentation will be the last of my worries.

Actually, I rarely wear a helmet also because I work so close to home, and just love the open, free feeling. Some smoke, some drink, I ride free. ;) My vice and emotional release. Except when on the freeway. Roads over 50 mph is actually very uncomfortable for me without full face hat, so I do wear one then.

When off road, I still carry, but switch it up just a bit. My 1911 is changed out to a Glock or some other "heartier" (read as cheaper) model. And the $200-$300+ knives are left home for something I wouldn't mind digging a hole with.

This is my current daily carry holster. Rides great. But on my bike, an IWB like a Crossbreed is just as comfortable to ride with.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Wow, this thread is full of fun. Love the blades, S&W PC1911, holster, and bike (the big blue one). Actually, I'd rock the little red one too. :)

The Para2 impresses me, it's my first and only Spydie. The more I carry and use it, the more I appreciate it. Aside from its lightweight and versatile opening/closing, it's probably the most precise pure slicer that I've ever owned.

You should be lectured for riding without a skid-lid, but I'm the wrong person to do it, because I'm the same way. I realize that even a short ride could be my last, but I never wear my lid unless I'm hitting the open highway. Can't help it, that's just me.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I like SpyderCo. I got my "one good pocket knife" a couple years ago. It's a Manix II and at $112 it easily doubled the amount I ever paid for a knife. It can shave hair with just a couple passes through the SpyderCo sharpener.

·
Registered
13,163 Posts
Worse bike wreck I got in was as a teen, before California's helmet law. I was on a moped. YES--- A Moped. A Honda Hobbit with the belt-drive pulleys modded to provide zero acceleration, but a terrifying 50 mph top end. Had to peddle like mad to leave a stoplight but once rolling it was amazing.

It was late at night. I was flying along in the bike lane of a local 4-lane road. Nearly abandoned at 3:00 am. The headlight made just a dim yellow spot on the ground, 15 feet in front of the bike.

Then I woke up on the pavement. Blind. Shoes gone (flew off) I couldn't see at all. But I could feel that my blood-soaked shirt was sticky because I had been unconscious long enough for it to congeal.

Apparently there was an unmarked 8 foot high pile of dirt from a construction project in the bike lane & I had hit it at full speed.

A week later after my cracked skull & concussion swelling receded a bit I began to regain some eyesight. My docs said that was not a given. I could have been permanently blind.

Screw that! I have never ridden without a bucket since.

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
Nice looking blades bflying! The ZT has a better looking blade to me than most of them-I don't see a recurve in it-and I've been a big fan of the Endura for a long time. Is that VG-10 or something else?

I like motorcycles but I don't ride...well, I was baby-sitting a Sportster for a friend till he could pick it up and I rode it just to keep it stirred up and the battery charged but I live on a private road and got all the way up to 35 MPH!

:eek:

:rofl:

I'll keep 4 wheels on the ground and get some wind and sun in the convertible...

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No recurves on either of these blades.

The ZT has the standard Hinderer big belly, in CTS-204P. Which is, as I understand it, Carpenters version of Bohlers M390 recipe. Frame is titanium with a CF onlay. Has ZT's new style detent with larger, sharp edged blade divot/hole. And action is pretty much perfect. Builds just the right amount of pressure before release, then opens like a rocket on skates.

The Spyder has pretty thick G10, with recessed steel liners/lock. Blade is their basic S30V as stated by LastRites. I have a dozen other Spyders, and since I really like flippers, was not sure I'd like it as much as my Domino. But dang if it isn't growing on me fast. For such a simple looking and functioning knife, it just works. Great action, blade shape, and feels good in the hand. And the liner release on the spine allows me to just drop my index finger and not really change my grip, and the blade just falls into place.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
And the liner release on the spine allows me to just drop my index finger and not really change my grip, and the blade just falls into place.
The spine release surprised me, prior to the PM2, I had never used that type of configuration. I went from this :confused::scratch::grumble: to this :), in the span of about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, guess I should have specified, "when closing". I was not really expecting this knife to be as smooth as it is with very little break-in. A quick flip of the thumb throws the blade right open into solid lockup. And when the lock is released, the blade almost falls closed.

Now just need a CF slabbed version, and it would be the perfect "every day office" knife.

Quick vid of PM2

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts