1911Forum banner

New SS Mil-Spec, recommended mods

1391 13
Hi,

I just bought a new SS Mil-Spec and I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but boy does it feel good in the hands!! (Except for the cheesy plastic grips, those have gotta go! :rolleyes: )

I decided to buy a Springfield based on the good reports from other owners that I have read on this forum and the reasonable price vs. quality and warranty issue. I am a machine shop teacher and after thouroughly inspecting the machining on this gun I can say that it is very well built! The only thing I don't really like is the 2 piece barrel which seems to be almost a non issue to most. The slide to frame fit is excellent with practically no play at all.

My questions: Are there any upgrades/modifications that you folks would recommend? So far the only things besides the grips that I want to change are: get rid of the ILS system, add an extended safety, and possibly a beavertail grip safety.

Which manufacturers do you recommend for these parts and how much fitting is involved?

The pistol is probably a better shot than I am and I am not interested in a whiz-bang, full competition race gun, but I want a very reliable and fun to shoot weapon that may one day be used as a concealed carry piece.

Any input would be appreciated!

Greg
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Those Mil Specs are great out of the box (except for the grips), and even better as a base for a custom. As for recommending modifications, there are so many different great ways to go, the most efficient thing to do is refer you to this thread: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=101231

· Banned
190 Posts
Since you ask

Greg,

Seraph is right. Read the post here. There are bunches of good ideas that you will get.

But....since you have a Mil Spec....and I have a Mil Spec, and you ask about modifications made to Mil Spec's....well....this is what I did to mine:

Trigger(midway)
Smith & Alexander Magwell (one piece with mainspring housing-no more ILS)
Kings Drop in Beavertail
Nowlin Trigger Kit (now a nice crisp smooth trigger pull)
Fiber Optic Front sight
Chip McCormick Grips (Stock grips are cheesy junk)
Chip McCormick Rear Site
EWG Bushing (excellent accuracy improvement accessory)

And of course...I'll show you my picture:

· Premium Member
9,635 Posts
Here's what I did to mine

From Wilson, BulletProof: ejector, extractor, slide stop and plunger tube.
Smith & Alexander: beavertail and magwell MSH, modified by Yost-Bonitz.
Ed Brown: thumb safety, magazine catch, plug and pins.
Cylinder & Slide: Tactical II kit (hammer, sear, disconnector, mainspring and sear spring).
Heinie: SlantPro sights, trijicon front, plain black rear, Novak's cut.
Alumagrips laser etched by GunGrips.net.
Dawson Precision: magazine catch lock.
Springfield: frame, slide barrel and bushing (she's already a tear out the ten ring at 25 yards pistol. didn't figure I needed better than that.)
Videki Design trigger from Brownells, with the serrations filed off.

Robert

· Registered
745 Posts
Nothing until you've put 500 rounds through it...
then, assuming no warranty work is needed, consider sights if you find the MilSpecs unsuitable, a beavertail if you feel you need a higher grip and a match bushing (EGW) if POI consistency could stand improvement.

Then another 500 rounds...by then you'll have a sense fo whether or not a tactical mag release, magwell, etc. are options that would be improvements for you.
/B

· Premium Member
9,635 Posts
Nope

NATIONALMATCH said:
No match barrel and bushing? NATIONALMATCH
She's already more accurate than I am. It's a two piece barrel too. From a rest, at 25 yards, three shot groups are around an inch. Sorry, I cannot ask more than that out of a pistol. Plus, better to spend the money on ammunition.

Robert

· Registered
256 Posts
Limited changes

I bought my mil spec ss about 1 year ago. The first thing I went to a flat msh, personal preferance . Put on a cheep set of 3 dot sights, at 70years you need help to see the front sight. Next I went to an ammo store and bought 1 box of every kind of 45s they had. Then I went the range, Zero problems Shoots to point of aime out to 25 yds, decient groups. Shoots almost as accurat as my TRP with less problems . I think I'll leave it alone.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shot it today

Finally got to shoot about 50 rounds of Winchester white box 230 gr. fmj today. I had one fail to feed :hrm: and it wants to shoot low. However, it could just be me since I have WAY more trigger time with rifles than I do pistols. I am going to take y'alls advice and run about 500 rounds through it before I make any major changes.

Those are some BEAUTIFUL guns you folks posted!!!! (Slobber, drool, grunt)

A few more questions:

1) About how many rounds does it take to fully break in a new 1911?

2) Are the Jerry Kuhnhausen(sp?) 1911 books any good?

3) What grip/stance do you recommend using when shooting?

Thanks for the help. I'm sure I will need even more advice in the future.

· Registered
159 Posts
Sounds like you're having the same problem converting from rifles to handguns I had, and it equals low shots. The grip on a rifle is easier for me to squeeze rather than pull, and I've never had a problem with aim or accuracy with rifles. However, any time I shoot a handgun I have to really focus on squeezing the trigger to keep my shots from going low. The feel is entirely different on a pistol, the grip is different, and the trigger motion is different.

The only thing I can tell you is this. Concentrate on squeezing the trigger. Dry fire all the time. And focus on the front sight. When I do this my shot groups improve immensely. Work on accuracy, not speed.

This is the stage I'm in. Slow progress but I'm getting there, and I totally relate to where you're coming from on rifle-to-pistol conversion.

Hope that helps. And I hope alot of more experienced folks chime in here. I'll be checking back for advice myself! :cool:

· Premium Member
3,543 Posts
1) I forgot to break mine in, but some people say 500-1000 rounds.

2) Yes, very good.

3) Use the grip and stance that you can most naturally assume and maintain, and that you can most consistently repeat.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the tips Black Bear. I'll try those the next time I shoot and will dry fire for practice. I'm finding out that handguns seem to be more of a challenge than rifles. (But I still can't give up my Mausers and Schmidt-Rubin. Those are cheap thrills.)

BTW, where can I get surplus 45 acp ammo in bulk? I am aware of the possibility of corrosive primers. They don't scare me though, I shoot them in my mil-surps all the time. Just run a patch soaked in a mixture of ammonia and water through them, then a dry patch and then clean like you normally would. I never have corrosion problems.

Greg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.