1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new stainless PT1911 and shot 4 clips through it before dark this afternoon. This is my first 1911 but I've shot a few hundred rounds out of a worked Colt and shot a stock Springfield and Kimber and my first impression is this is on the same level as the Colt which has more $ in the add-ons than this gun cost me. Just thought I'd give my opinion.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
Magazines my son, not clips. Congratulations on your new baby, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that didn't take long. First post and first correction. Guess I gotta catch up on the proper lingo. :)

·
Banned
28 Posts
Thanks for posting that cb11!

Picking up my SS PT1911 tomorrow...if I can get off from work early enough to swing by the bank and get my check cashed and make it to the shop before they close.

All of a sudden I'm not feeling good. I think I may get sick 'bout lunch time tomorrow.

*cough* *cough* :barf:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just got my new stainless PT1911 and shot 4 clips through it before dark this afternoon. This is my first 1911 but I've shot a few hundred rounds out of a worked Colt and shot a stock Springfield and Kimber and my first impression is this is on the same level as the Colt which has more $ in the add-ons than this gun cost me. Just thought I'd give my opinion.
Shhh, be very careful. You don't want to tick off the Colt loyalist :biglaugh:

BTW, the main guy at Taurus is a former CEO from Colt. Also, the PT1911 is a great shooter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow.... Refreshing! It's nice to hear someone say nice things about this pistol. I just bought mine this past thursday and went to the range that night to aquiant myself with this beauty. It shot very well, but after about 60 rounds or so, it settled right in and was placing 2 to 2.5" groups at 50 ft. freehand but I really still have to get used to the Heine straight eights, as i had never shot these kind of sights before. As soon as i come out of the range, everyone i talked to had to bash the taurus line. "Get rid of it....They break" was what everyone was saying. It kinda P%@$#$ me off! But thank you, is what im trying to say. I think this is a nice looking, and well shooting firearm! I purchased mine at 619.00 OTD and have seen them for a little cheaper around but not by much.

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
-1 for committing a 'man foul' by not posting pics. Congrats on your gun, glad you like it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have been thinking about their B model with the rails. I have looked at some Taurus 1911s that rattled when I shook them but seems like they are getting better. I love their revolvers and PT92/99 autos. Taurus is fighting against a lot of prejudice in this country, my local shop guys told me they would let me look at one but would not let me buy one citing quality issues. I think they are full of ****.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have been thinking about their B model with the rails. I have looked at some Taurus 1911s that rattled when I shook them but seems like they are getting better. I love their revolvers and PT92/99 autos. Taurus is fighting against a lot of prejudice in this country, my local shop guys told me they would let me look at one but would not let me buy one citing quality issues. I think they are full of ****.
I just bought one. It is a fantastic shooter, but I was having issues with intermittent light primer strikes (even after 300 rounds through it). The shop owner is having his smith look at it (I'm betting it is somewhere in the firing pin safety), but I expect to get it back in perfect condition.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I love their revolvers and PT92/99 autos. Taurus is fighting against a lot of prejudice in this country, my local shop guys told me they would let me look at one but would not let me buy one citing quality issues. I think they are full of ****.
My local dealer sells alot of Taurus products. No more issues then with anything else, and alot less issues then with some "famous maker" stuff. Taurus is getting better all the time.

As you say, there is alot of prejudice, and rank jealously out there. I think alot of guys get pissed when a Taurus shoots right up there w/ thier $1200.00 'wunderkind' 1911.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I actually just purchased one on thursday and went out today and put a hundred rounds through it. I could not be more pleased with everything about this gun. Sadly though, i did have an issue with the safety coming apart on me. The lever on the right side of the gun partially pulled out and stopped engaging, this is definitely an issue with me being a southpaw. Called up my dealer and he said to bring it in and he sounded sincerely apologetic for the inconvience of this. I still rate the gun very highly.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Now CB, keep those Taurus mags for the range if you like, but switch to Wilson 47D mags if you want total reliability. I have the blued version that I paid $519 for, and this weekend, at the gunshow in Hampton Va, I'm hoping to pick up both the Stainless version of the Taurus, but also a Sig 1911 copy and a Dan Wesson STS copy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll prob. upgrade the mags soon, picked up one McCormick mag as an extra since that what my dealer had in stock. I got my pachmyr ALS grips installed tonight. I'll get a pic up tom. night with them on.

·
Registered
54 Posts
people that bash the taurus pt1911 have obviously never owned one. You are going to get a lot of taurus haters. I would be pissed too if I paid two to three time as much f0r a Springfeild or Kimber etc. and got the same amount of gun as the guy in the PT1911 I paid $479 OTD last may. Still see them at gun shows for $500. I want the SS 4" barrel but i dont think it will be out any time soon.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have to admit, I've read about more problems with the Taurus 1911 than many others, with the exception of Kimber. However, all of the bad stories I hear about their customer service are what make me wary of getting one. I don't want to have one primary firearm for my self defense and take a chance it might be gone for months due to repairs.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
people that bash the taurus pt1911 have obviously never owned one. You are going to get a lot of taurus haters. I would be pissed too if I paid two to three time as much f0r a Springfeild or Kimber etc. and got the same amount of gun as the guy in the PT1911 I paid $479 OTD last may. Still see them at gun shows for $500. I want the SS 4" barrel but i dont think it will be out any time soon.
That's about the same as when the Norinco 1911 came out, I got mine for barely 200 bucks, and now, at over 100k rounds, while not a match grade pistol, it will still meet the military specs for accuracy on the battlefield.

I would guess a lot of this hostility stems from one's biased opinions on his or her own weapons choices.

Though, I've always said, if you've never owned the weapon, or fired it extensively, you should keep your opinion where it counts, in your pocket, until you can back up what you say. Sort of like those that complain about our elected officials, but don't take the time to vote themselves. Complain ONLY when you participate.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts