1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called the LGS this morning to see what they had in stock and to my surprise they just got a shipment of Kimbers in. I took a ride down there and there was a brand new SS Ultra Raptor they got, so I took serial number from the box and callled Kimber to find out the production date.

Here is where it gets better....today is 12/13/13, the LGS just got them in on 12/10/13 so tuesday, Production date of gun 12/4/13:rock:. Wow it really is brand spanking new. The owner even let me be the first on to open the box and smell the oil and put my prints all over it. So basically no one else has touched it besides myself and Kimber....the owner didn't even hold it. So i put it back in its beautiful blue plastic bag, lol, back in the box and he sealed it so no one else would open it. Now the waiting game begins for my judge (yes in NY the judge of your area makes all the calls) to sign my paper so i can go pick it up (hopefully before the new year!)

Of course pictures will follow!!

I am very pleased that it is so new, and hasn't been man/woman handled by idiots who enjoy racking the slide over and over again for no reason, has anyone else had this luck? and also anyone who has one owned or shot one how do you like it.....for the price and the newness of it i could not pass it up!

~S

·
Registered
790 Posts
Congrats on your find. I never knew of the excitement i was supposed to have experienced by being the first to open the blue Kimber bag. I guess I'm not worthy. J/K! I can honestly say I've never checked on a date of manufacture but several have been stored in back rooms and not on display at time of purchase.

I sent my Ultra Raptor in for a new frame due to negligence of previous owner and I recieved the package. So in a way my hands were the first non Kimber employee hands to touch, unless a different guy packed it into it's box for shipping it back.

Well, here are a few pics, It's got a few custom touches.

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
Congrats on your find. I never knew of the excitement i was supposed to have experienced by being the first to open the blue Kimber bag. I guess I'm not worthy. J/K! I can honestly say I've never checked on a date of manufacture but several have been stored in back rooms and not on display at time of purchase.

I sent my Ultra Raptor in for a new frame due to negligence of previous owner and I recieved the package. So in a way my hands were the first non Kimber employee hands to touch, unless a different guy packed it into it's box for shipping it back.

Well, here are a few pics, It's got a few custom touches.
rfe959, that is a beautiful pistol. I really like the color of the frame and slide. Was that special or factory color.

·
Registered
790 Posts
rfe959, that is a beautiful pistol. I really like the color of the frame and slide. Was that special or factory color.
No, not even an option from Kimber. The slide is factory stainless. The smith that did my frame work refinished the frame and all the parts. The frame showed a crack so it no longer looks the same. Thanks for the kind words, that being said. Here is what the Lil' Raptor looks like now. 3 tone finish with factory replacement frame with previous custom touches.

I'm sorry for jacking this thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sorry for jacking this thread.
no worries, i enjoy reading everyones experiences good or bad, and love pictures.....
only problem is it gets my gears turning and sometimes it leads to spend more money lol. i just wish NY didn't have an "indefinite" wait period....the judge could sign the paper monday and i could have it wednesday....or he can sign it 3 months from now, there is no telling, and i'm convinced even calling after a reasonable amount of time just gets you moved back down to the bottom.

the county clerk here who handles all the paperwork, lets just say....better yet lets not say anything:grumble:

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Nice, the Raptor is on my list.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I am very pleased that it is so new, and hasn't been man/woman handled by idiots who enjoy racking the slide over and over again for no reason, has anyone else had this luck?

~S
Not quite the same story as yours but along similarly serendipitous lines...

Within the past two weeks I just took possession of an Eclipse Custom II. I had a nice rifle that I listed WTT for a nice 1911. I got offers and offers and offers. Some nice Colts, Kimbers, Springers and even a couple very nice wheel guns.

It got to the point where after scrubbing a couple of the offerings and unsure of which remaining offers to choose - I said a little prayer asking for guidance.

I called in the S/N on the Kimber and was given its production date; it was built on my birthday. Not only was it my birthday but my birthday in 2011, which happened to be one of the most significant in my life! Needless, to say the search was over right then & there and I now have a gun I'll never part with :D

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Scott,

Nice catch, but you know it didn't happen until you post pictures. ;)

Someone racking the slide is not that big of a deal. It has to happen eventually, and it will have to happen a lot initially to get it to run at peak performance.

I have had several Raptors, still have a Grand Raptor. During my daily trip to the LGS, I held a used Ultra Stainless Raptor like yours and when I came back the next day, it was gone. Karma I guess.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Scott,

Nice catch, but you know it didn't happen until you post pictures. ;)
I KNOW!!!! i would try telling the judge that...."Listen you honor, i have a community of 1911 nuts that are going to demand to see pictures!! i need this ASAP" lol

I would have taken a few in the store but he has a no photos policy, i can totally understand that though, other customers privacy and what not, especially with the CC laws here, this way there is no chance of an accidental face shot i guess. Good guys who work and own it though.

The store is the size of a porta-john but has everything you can think of at extremely fair prices for this area. If anyone is in the area or going to be in the area PM me and i'll let you know where to go to not get ripped off!

·
Registered
44 Posts
My Raptor Stainless II was my first Kimber and love it. I wanted to get its little Ultra sister, but decided on the CDP Ultra for the carry melt. I did have to put Raptor grips on it to bridge the gap though. :) I may still end up with a SS Raptor Pro or Ultra when I trade in my XDs - just love that look and feel!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Christmas Came Early =)

As promised, today was a good day...one week turn around! Someone must have extra spiked the Judges eggnog and he went on a permit signing spree.

VZ Operators on there way for the Raptor....like everyone says, the stock ones really don't give too much of a grip feeling, but they will be nice to have as a spare to put on every now and then to remember what they look like. I'll post another after the grips get changed.

And my trio now, I think they all look good together

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
New VZ Operator grips in Black/Desert Sand.....i didn't delete other pics just moved them in my photobucket so hence a couple post up, NO PICS!

here is stock

and New, replaced screws also with the "turbo" ones, also from VZ

i think they contrast the stainless pretty nice:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts