1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an STI Trojan yesterday. This is STI's 5" 1911 classic, with several semi-custom additions. The top of the slide is flat, the triggerguard is undercut for a high hold, and the mainspring housing is beveled at the magwell to aid in mag changes. The finish is a matte black.

First impression -- this is a well made piece! The slide to frame fit is excellent, and the barrel/bushing/slide fit is also excellent. The barrel hood locks up nice and tight.

I disassembled the entire receiver and cleaned and degreased all the internals and then re-lubed with Tetra grease and oil as appropriate. There are no tooling marks inside the dustcover or the frame that I could see. (my old Springfield has tool marks all over the place!) Trigger is set at a crisp 4lbs. The beavertail fit to the frame is excellent, a very smooth transition.

Overall, I am very happy with this gun, and feel that it is an excellent value. (my price was $874 shipped.) I'll post a range report later in the week after I get a chance to shoot it!

[This message has been edited by GrandmasterB (edited 08-01-2000).]

·
Registered
181 Posts
Glad to see you bought it. I think we're the only 2 people on the board with one. Don't worry though, everyone else will catch on sooner or later. Let us know how it shoots.

BTW.. $875 is a screaming deal. I paid $975 for mine a few months ago.

Erich

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Erich. Your previous posts helped guide me to the STI. BTW, I should say that there was also a $15 FLL fee, so I guess I paid $889 total.

Best Regards,

-Byron

·
Registered
87 Posts
The Trojan isone of the finest OOTB 1911 you can buy for the money. I just needs nothing but to be shot.

Genie
The Tactical Lady
www.knifeforums.com

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Desert Dog,

I agree with you about the front strap. This is the only thing that I don't like about this pistol, but I couldn't pass it up anyway. I too don't really like the Springfield front straps either, and the STI is certaily big and square. But, with the Thin Grip panels I hardly notice the feel, but I do notice the look of it. I also prefer checkering to STIppled, but again, this isn't my only 1911 and won't be my last! I'm not sure if it could be milled or not -- best to get a professional opinion on that.

I bought this one for IDPA mainly, and I will probably get a Rock River or have a smith build me another 1911 soon, with checkering, etc.

Hopefully I'll get to the range tonight. I got rained-out last night.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just had to post an update. The more I shoot my Trojan, the more I like it.

Shot an IPSC match in the Limited 10 class last weekend, and did OK. I brainfarted a couple of times, but the pistol ran smooth.

I got a lot of comments from other shooters who "hadn't seen a single stack STI before", and one even asked if he could try it out after the shoot. I think he liked it and certainly said it was a great value for the price.

I think I'm becomming addicted, though, because I seem to get it out every night and diassemble it/fondle it/dry fire it, etc.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Gmaster,

That is a great looking pistol. I don't think I've ever seen one at a show, and I hit everyone I can find. Did you handle one before purchasing it? Curious as to what other sights you can get with it.

JSP

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, JSP.

I had handled the STI hi caps, and the Ranger (compact, with a very similar frame, just shorter) and LS-9 (very small 9mm, but still similar), but I hadn't handled a Trojan before buying. I just read a lot about them and heard so many good things and when I compared it to the Kimber Gold Match and the Springfield Trophy Match (both in a similar price/performance range), I just felt the Trojan was the best deal.

You can find a lot of good info about them on the STI website at www.stiguns.com

Also, make sure you follow the links to the articles, because there are some good photos and more information there. And folow the links to dealers and you might find one near you.

I don't know if you can get different sights or not. The Ranger compact does come with a Heinie snag free fixed rear sight.

Best of luck!

[This message has been edited by GrandmasterB (edited 08-31-2000).]

·
Registered
802 Posts
Thanks Gmaster and Kbear-

Will definitely keep eyes open for one to fondle...
That little LS9/40 looks pretty cool as well.

JSP

[This message has been edited by JSP (edited 09-01-2000).]

[This message has been edited by JSP (edited 09-01-2000).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts