1911Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Tac Four. Seems to be very well made and a quality gun. This is the second 1911 that I have purchased in the last month. The other is a Kimber Ultra Carry II. I have NOT had the Tac-Four to the range yet. Does anyone have a review of this gun, or does anyone have it? What do you think of it? Also, does any one have a Kimber and a Para that would like to offer some counter point about each?

Jess

·
Registered
937 Posts
Seems like comparing a high cap DAO to a single stack single action is a bit like apples to oranges. I'll be interested to hear what people have to say though. I've had my eye on an LDA lately, either a the tac-four or CCW.

Brian

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am talking about reliability, customer service, accuracy and so on. Just user impressions. I am not interested in the discussion of DAO vs conventional per se.
Jess

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just took my new tac-four to the range today for the first time.Man , what a gun. Im very pleased with this gun. Recoil was very controlable.The trigger was very smoth.The only thing is I had a bit of a problem striping the gun for cleaning.The owners manual has instructions that are incorrect.Ill contact para monday for the correct dismantling directions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Jess said:
I am talking about reliability, customer service, accuracy and so on. Just user impressions. I am not interested in the discussion of DAO vs conventional per se.
Jess
reliability; too soon to tell

customer service;so far so good.They are even going to send me 2 free 10 round mags for free.

accuracy; for the first time at the range.I shot better groups than with my glock.

dislikes; plated trigger,bushing and hammer.
Improper information in owners manual.They should make a separate manual for this model.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just got a Tac Four myself. I'm really pleased with it. Rapid fire at 15 meters was about a 4-inch circle. Good enough for me. I have bought a steel magazine catch and match bushing as recommended replacement parts, but I think I'll leave the stock parts on for now. At least I know I have the better parts on hand when I need them later.

Disassembly was like any 1911 as the manual illustrated. No problems there.

I liked it so much the first time out that I've ordered Hogue rosewood grips for it, since I won't be using it for any competition anyway.

13 (or 12) +1 rounds of potent .45ACP! Oh, man!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Match Bushing?

Tell me more about the match bushing. I love my Tac Four but am looking to improve accuracy. Should the match buching help? Does this have to be fitted? Where is a goud source for one? Any other info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
You may be very surprised at how accurate the Tac-Four is right out of the box. Most Paras I've had the pleasure to test are grouping very well. If one feels they want to tighten tolerances a little with a new barrel bushing I highly recommend using a National Match Barrel Bushing that has to be fit to the gun. When I fit a National Match Bushing I angle bore the inside diameter to keep the bushing to barrel fit as tight as possible and lathe turn the outside diameter to keep the slide to bushing fit as tight as possible. Also keep in mind if you get your tolerances to tight you may effect the reliability of the gun.
Regards
Bob Hunter
(816) 675-2340
www.huntercustoms.com

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase! I am a recent owner of a Tac Four also, and I love it! I've had it at the range 3 times now.
This is my first 1911 style pistol. The only other .45 I've shot is a P220.
Likes;
1. The Tac Four fits very well in my hand, better than the P220.

2. The LDA trigger is awesome, smooth thru the whole
range of travel.

3. Accuracy; initially I was grouping a bit high & left. After a small
sight adjustment, I'm now "spot on". :) I have caught myself
grinning after placing some very accurate shots (for me!).
I've put the Hogue rubber grips on it - that seems to have
improved my grip.

4. Reliability; no FTF or FTE, after approx 300 rounds. This
includes Hydra-Shoks and Gold Dot (230 grain), Golden Sabre
(185 grain) and Corbon +P (230 grain).

Dislikes;

Nothing major.
I too found the manual confusing for assembly/disassembly instructions. Watching the video helped a lot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Turns out the gun shop forgot to give me the video tape.I picked it up today and being my first 1911 the video helped.Thank you.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I just logged in a Tac-Four for a customer of mine that was in my concealed carry class. He purchased it because of my recommendation, and I'm sure everyone here knows of my fondness for this pistol. The distributor that I purchased the pistol from did not send a video tape so if the customer wants one I'll see if I can get him one. That being said he really will not need the tape as he does not live that far from me, being a service oriented shop all he will need to do is come to the shop I'll show him how to disassemble the pistol and clean it for him the first time at no charge to him. If in the future he forgets how to disassemble the gun or has any concerns I can resolve in the shop, I'll be glad to help him anyway I can.
Once again I believe the Tac-Four to be a excellent choice, 13 rounds of 45acp in a Commander size package with the LDA trigger system, I don't know what more a person could want.;)
Regards
Bob Hunter
(816) 675-2340
www.huntercustoms.com

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought a CCW a couple of months back and was so thrilled with it that I picked up a Tac-Four two weeks ago. I have found both to be great right out of the box. Even a few other shooters at the range commented that you've got to love a gun that you can be that consistent with first time out. They are both more accurate than I am. With the Tac-Four I tend to hit a little low and left at 25 yards. I need to see if I'm pulling the gun with my trigger finger.
I have had a couple of jams. I've read reviews that mentioned problems with that but I think it may be my hand getting tired. With both guns it has occured after 150 rounds or so and I was also shooting a bunch of +P 9mm in between.
These are my first 1911 types and I think I'm hooked. This is also my first post here. If anyone has advice on the jamming thing I would appreciate your input. One more thing. What video? My gunshop never mentioned a video!

·
Registered
97 Posts
WVCCW said:
I have had a couple of jams. I've read reviews that mentioned problems with that but I think it may be my hand getting tired. With both guns it has occured after 150 rounds or so and I was also shooting a bunch of +P 9mm in between. These are my first 1911 types and I think I'm hooked. [/B]
I believe that you may have already diagnosed the root of your problem. Tired hands, some people call it limp wrists but nobody wants it said that way, are a fact of range practice. Your grip starts to weaken and depending on how much upper body strength one has it may take as little as 50 rounds, or even less, for that symptom to appear. I'd say that you had quite a work out with the amount of ammo you shot. Additonally, some types of ammo can foul up the chamber more than others and that has to be looked at. The total number of rounds you have through these pistols can also be a factor. A good 1911 style pistol, like the 2 you seem to have, will need 400-500 rounds through it so that its rubbing surfaces smoothen to the point that the slide is going back as far as possible on each and every shot even if the grip isn't as firm as it ought to be in that instance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for the advice DINO1. I don't know anyone locally who has 1911's so I'm learning by reading reviews, message boards and, of course, by doing.
Magazine reviews on Para's tend to be good but I take them with a grain of salt since the advertising dollar comes into play. The personal reviews I have found are mixed, with the most common complaint being failure to feed properly. Some were very harsh, claiming the Para wouldn't feed anything they tried. Since I have also seen the same problem reported from just about every other brand I figured it may be a PEBBAG error (problem exists between bench and gun) or simply a matter of breaking in. Anyway, I decided to give Para a try and am glad I did.
Suspecting that I may be limp-wristing due to fatigue on my last trip to the range, I shot my last two mags after taking a break and fired them slowly and focused on my grip. No jams!
I'm hoping to get out over the holiday weekend and get a little closer to the break-in point. So far, I'm darn tickled with 'em.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
WVCCW,
Welcome to the Forum. The Tac-Four being stainless and as with all stainless guns be sure and keep them lubed properly. The lube I choose to use on the frame and slide rails is Gunslick made by Outers. Its a graphite grease and its what I use on all my guns. I give my customers a tube when they buy guns from me and I show them how to lube the gun.
This is the same lube I use when I shoot the American Handgunner match in Colorado and believe me this match will test the equipment and lube you use.

Something I need to clarify to those that was interested in a match bushing for the Tac-Four, when I was talking of a match bushing in my earlier post I forgot to specify Commander length for the barrel bushing. Be sure and specify one for a Commander length gun as they are different then the full size bushing. However a full size National Match bushing can be used if one trims the skirt to Commander bushing length.
Regards
Bob Hunter
(816) 675-2340
www.huntercustoms.com

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Jess,
Welcome to the Forum. The American Handgunner World Shootoffs is held in Montrose Colorado. Its an all reactive steel match that consist of 15 stages. Its a great match, bring plenty of ammo. I went through a little over 2300 rounds of ammo in four hard days of shooting. I believe its going to be in June this year which means it should not be so hot weather wise. I do not have the exact dates yet but if you will send an e-mail to [email protected] when I get the dates I'll send them to you.
Regards
Bob Hunter
(816) 675-2340
www.huntercustoms.com

1 - 18 of 18 Posts